Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Check out my Can Am Trailer

Little trailer I been working on to pull with the F3-S. It is very light weight, easy to pull, no vibrations, It might weigh 130 pounds total, empty. Built from a small trailer axle I had, and some scrap steel that was on my junk pile. Had to put new tires on, total rewire for LED and new lights. repacked wheel bearings, and put a new tongue on it. Got about $165 invested in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thats different, what have you got planned for that?
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Little trailer I been working on to pull with the F3-S. It is very light weight, easy to pull, no vibrations, It might weigh 130 pounds total, empty. Built from a small trailer axle I had, and some scrap steel that was on my junk pile. Had to put new tires on, total rewire for LED and new lights. repacked wheel bearings, and put a new tongue on it. Got about $165 invested in it.
    That is fixing to become your best buddy. Countless uses.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Thats different, what have you got planned for that?
    Started out as a way to take a wheelchair with me. I can't walk very far anymore, and can't stand up more than a few minutes. Left leg amputated and right knee gone from walking on one leg for 40 years. Also can be used to pick up a few bags of livestock feed or fish feed, small hardware, fittings, and various other things that should not require the truck.

It is not finished yet. Got a few more wiring connections, and I can go ahead and put a tag on it. I got a couple of hinges already welded on the rear. Once I get it registered and tagged, plan to add a tailgate.

Spyder Garage

Perfect.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Nice build, and I'm sure it will become an invaluable tool for your needs.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments, y'all! Finished up the wiring today. Might try to get a tag for it Monday, if no other jobs turn up.

It will make life easier and save some gas too.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's a sweet looking trailer ..... However, I think it probably weighs more than 130 Lbs. .... I built my own using 2 inch PVC. I bought axle Hubs and connected them with 1 & 1/2" angle iron to save weight. It attaches using a simple cantilever with springs. ... For a box I used a Sears Car Top carrier (18.5 cu ft @ 10 lbs) and a small LED tailight assembly .... mine weighs 120 lbs. .... You could weigh yours using a bathroom scale, that's how I weighed mine ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-10-2024 at 09:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    That's a sweet looking trailer ..... However, I think it probably weighs more than 130 Lbs. .... I built my own using 2 inch PVC. I bought axle Hubs and connected them with 1 & 1/2" angle iron to save weight. It attaches using a simple cantilever with springs. ... For a box I used a Sears Car Top carrier (18.5 cu ft @ 10 lbs) and a small LED tailight assembly .... mine weighs 120 lbs. .... You could weigh yours using a bathroom scale, that's how I weighed mine ..... Mike
    I didn't use angle iron. I cut the corner pieces from thin wall square tubing. The lower side pieces were from thin wall metal shipping frames. I can lift the side of it with one hand and slip a jack stand under with the other hand. I really don't care how much it actually weighs. I took a guess and that is what I will tell the tag office. They don't care either. It will be tagged in the lightest weight slot. Probably never haul more than 200 pounds in it, and rarely that much. It will actually become lighter as it ages some. The pressure treated wood on the deck and sides was fairly green and heavy. It will lose about half the original weight as it continues to dry out.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 02-11-2024 at 12:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Trailer is completed now. Has all LED lights, safety chains, new tires, and everything a trailer is required to have. I called the County Tax Collector Office to see what I needed to bring in to get a tag for it. They told me that homemade trailers are not required to have a title. All I needed to do was bring in a picture of the trailer and certify how much it weighed. I took a picture of it with the cell phone. Went in today and showed them the picture on the cell phone. Told them to put 150 pounds for weight. 15 minutes later I walked out with a Florida Trailer Tag and my bank account was only half a C-note light.

I'm legal and ready to roll! Already took a short break in check ride, going nowhere and coming back from there without stopping off anywhere. Have to keep looking in the mirrors to see if it is there. Don't even feel like I am towing anything. It is like it is not even there. No sway, no lugging, rolling easy.

Spyder Garage

That is a nice looking rig. I'm glad it pulls straight.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Hi Gwolf, I'm GDoc and I ride a Can-Am Spyder RTS SE6, Orbital blue. Great looking trailer, lot of uses. I picked up a used trailer for my Spyder to pull. But first I want to re-paint the frame, re-wire the lights, pack the bearings. I'll try to attach a few pic's. GDoc

20210117_155802 (1).jpg

20230929_085806.jpg

20230929_085845.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2024 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2016 RTS SE6 , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GDoc View Post
    Hi Gwolf, I'm GDoc and I ride a Can-Am Spyder RTS SE6, Orbital blue. Great looking trailer, lot of uses. I picked up a used trailer for my Spyder to pull. But first I want to re-paint the frame, re-wire the lights, pack the bearings. I'll try to attach a few pic's. GDoc

That is already a nice looking trailer. Won't take long to do the upgrades.

Spyder Garage

Very nice trailer. I built our kitchen gear trailer using a small Harbor Freight trailer that was 40" X 48"; total weight of ours completely loaded with all gear and 7 gallons of water is 380 pounds, and that includes the solar panel and battery bank for my wife's Cpap machine. I pull the gear trailer and she pulls a Leesure Lite pop-up tent trailer. We usually stay out for 2 weeks at a time camping and touring the Pacific Northwest.

IMG_3189.jpg IMG_3306.jpg IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg IMG_3299.jpg IMG_3478.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-19-2024 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Nice, sunny day with temperatures in the cool, but not cold range. Hooked the little trailer on the Spyder, hauled the trash to the county garbage collection site, went on into town, and bought a 50 pound bag of floating fish feed. Love that little trailer! It makes hauling the trash off and going by the feed store fun!

Spyder Garage

Too cool! Any road train plans.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Too cool! Any road train plans.
    Great suggestion! I could string 5 or 6 of them together and have a 25 foot long road train!

Maybe something for later if I get too bored. For now I will stick to the single unit, which backs much better than the road train model.

Spyder Garage

Trailer is completed now. Has all LED lights, safety chains, new tires, and everything a trailer is required to have. I called the County Tax Collector Office to see what I needed to bring in to get a tag for it. They told me that homemade trailers are not required to have a title. All I needed to do was bring in a picture of the trailer and certify how much it weighed. I took a picture of it with the cell phone. Went in today and showed them the picture on the cell phone. Told them to put 150 pounds for weight. 15 minutes later I walked out with a Florida Trailer Tag and my bank account was only half a C-note light.

I'm legal and ready to roll! Already took a short break in check ride, going nowhere and coming back from there without stopping off anywhere. Have to keep looking in the mirrors to see if it is there. Don't even feel like I am towing anything. It is like it is not even there. No sway, no lugging, rolling easy.
    Nice. Whats the distance from the axle to the tow ball where it hooks up?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Nice. Whats the distance from the axle to the tow ball where it hooks up?
    Never actually measured it. It is something like about 8 feet to the axle. I will try to remember to get the exact distance tomorrow. It is way out there in the shop and it be cold and dark here.

What I went by when I was cutting the new tongue is another small trailer about the same size that I used to have. I cut the new tongue to be the same distance from the front of the trailer to the ball connector.

Spyder Garage

Great suggestion! I could string 5 or 6 of them together and have a 25 foot long road train!

Maybe something for later if I get too bored. For now I will stick to the single unit, which backs much better than the road train model.
    I drove a set of doubles (2 28’ van trailers with a connecting gear between them) for about 6 months. While they CAN be backed up a short distance, they get out of line pretty quickly. Normal practice is to break the set and back each wagon separately. Don’t know that it would be any different even with little trailers, but it would make quite a sight!

That’s a very cool little trailer! Congrats!

Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    I drove a set of doubles (2 28’ van trailers with a connecting gear between them) for about 6 months. While they CAN be backed up a short distance, they get out of line pretty quickly. Normal practice is to break the set and back each wagon separately. Don’t know that it would be any different even with little trailers, but it would make quite a sight!

That’s a very cool little trailer! Congrats!

Bob
    We used to hook 3 or 4 of the four wheel hay trailers together and pull them to the barn with one tractor. Pulling them to the barn is no problem, but backing them is impossible. We would disconnect them at the barn and push them in one at the time with the tractor while somebody guided the trailer tongue. Even backing one four wheel trailer is fairly difficult, much worse than backing a two wheel trailer.

Spyder Garage

I finally downloaded the pictures from the camera in the shop. Been so busy ain't had time to do much extra. Been getting plenty of use out of the little trialer. Still ain't had time to build a tailgate for it, but it will get done.

Spyder Garage

On second and third read, I came up with a memory from days gone by. The wood on the trailer caused it.

Anyone remember the famous 2 x "floors." ??? They were wooden versions of Spyder floor boards before the "Seals" (I purchased two sets of Seals), and before BRP started making them OEM.

I very much like your trailer. The $3K price tag prevented me from going with trailers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    On second and third read, I came up with a memory from days gone by. The wood on the trailer caused it.

Anyone remember the famous 2 x "floors." ??? They were wooden versions of Spyder floor boards before the "Seals" (I purchased two sets of Seals), and before BRP started making them OEM.

I very much like your trailer. The $3K price tag prevented me from going with trailers.

What $3K price tag? I built that for less than $200.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2024 at 03:23 AM. Reason: then

Spyder Garage

What $3K price tag? I built that for less than $200.
    I was referring to the price on the "official" Can Am trailers. I am not mechanical enough to build my own.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red