Spyder Garage

Default Where are my Trunk & Frunk power supplies? What is needed to add them?

I have seen some RT's with power supplies in the trunk and forward storage compartment. My 2023 does not have any, and I wish to add some.
    Do Lamonster or Slingmods have what is needed to add 12 volt access?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2024 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You have it, you just need to find it. The 2023 has two places you can grab 12v power. One is on the right hand side where BRP got power for the factory installed GPS. Lamonster has a power cable that you can use to plug into that and I believe there is a video. Called Plug and Play I think. Lamonster’s cable is nice because the connector goes right into the factory connector holder. And Yes, the polarity issue got fixed.

The second is on the left side of the battery, in the battery compartment, behind the front storage compartment wall. Removal of the battery makes it easier. It’s designed to power up a standard auto type accessory plug that goes into that hole with the rubber plug in it. But, you can tap into those and add whatever you like.

In the top case is a USB outlet.

Pic 1 is the GPS power wire with the Lamonster cable, pic 2 is the front accessory connectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-27-2024 at 02:51 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Do you mean you want to add a 12-volt supply? Such as to make your stock battery larger? Or are you wanting to put in a 115-volt inverter? Either way, you should be able to plug one in, in the trunk - if you have a 12-volt lighter socket in there like mine does. I have not seen anything in the frunk to allow this.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2024 at 06:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    You have it, you just need to find it. The 2023 has two places you can grab 12v power. One is on the right hand side where BRP got power for the factory installed GPS. Lamonster has a power cable that you can use to plug into that and I believe there is a video. Called Plug and Play I think. Lamonster’s cable is nice because the connector goes right into the factory connector holder. And Yes, the polarity issue got fixed.

The second is on the left side of the battery, in the battery compartment, behind the front storage compartment wall. Removal of the battery makes it easier. It’s designed to power up a standard auto type accessory plug that goes into that hole with the rubber plug in it. But, you can tap into those and add whatever you like.

Pic 1 is the GPS power wire with the Lamonster cable, pic 2 is the front accessory connectors.
    If I understand correctly, the top case as you call it, is that the small box in front of the handlebars? I have read that does NOT charge a phone.

As for the GPS power that is also something I want to do... just didn't see the power cable on the web page.

I really want to add the ability to charge my phone somewhere... Trunk or Frunk, it doesn't matter but there is nothing in my trunk just a plug where there is a hole for something like a cigarette lighter plug.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2024 at 08:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pedalyurassoff View Post
    Do you mean you want to add a 12-volt supply? Such as to make your stock battery larger? Or are you wanting to put in a 115-volt inverter? Either way, you should be able to plug one in, in the trunk - if you have a 12-volt lighter socket in there like mine does. I have not seen anything in the frunk to allow this.
    Yes, for a GPS and another for phone charger.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2024 at 08:55 PM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey NoTyme. Sorry about the terminology confusion. When I say top case, it was referring to that big, storage case that sits on the top rear, behind the passenger. As shown in my signature photo. What you are probably calling the trunk.

So, let’s start over. Opening your top case (trunk) lid, look all the way to the front and up under the top lip area. Right above the storage area for the case removal tool. (Bend down and look up) You should have a little protruding plastic area. On the right is a light and on the left is a rubber dust cover. Yes, this whole thing faces downwards, oddly. Lift the dust cover and there’s your USB charging ports. Turn on the key, and the light comes on and the ports turn on. To my knowledge, this was standard equipment in every top case. For charging only. No data. You don’t have this? You do have the BRP OEM case, right? You’re under warranty. See pics.

Up front, the most convenient place to grab 12v switched power is on the right side accessory harness. Here is a video from Rick on how to access it and remove that last panel. I prefer Lamonster’s harness over his, though, because it’s a little neater and that female connector clips into the fixture that I showed you up above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99AJzb10Kas

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/gps-...-am-spyder-rt/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-28-2024 at 08:26 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

So just to summarize the USB ports on the 2020+ - the rear trunk and the front frunk ports provide power charging only. The glove box unit USB port provides connectivity as well as some charging. According to the 2023 S2S manual (Oh yes, I know they are all the same crappy manuals. lol) if using the BRP Connect app (no comments here) you must pair the phone via Bluetooth AND with the USB port in the glove box...

Pretty sure that when the 2024 ACP finally gets fixed, it will require the BT/USB port glove box usage as well as the helmet pairing!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-29-2024 at 07:46 AM.
    2024 RT Sea to Sky (back at dealer again due to blank screen issues, loss of BT and WIFI :-( :-( AND the new cluster BRP sent is not linking to the bike properly = BRP fail again)
    2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green (guess what? NO errors at all in 9 months of owning!) Such a sweet S2S :-)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post

Thank you, I would have never looked up in the trunk for this. Nice having a USB charger for the phone. Use the XM app, and plug in the phone to the USB charger and tunes that will never end... at least till I stop.

I will look again at LaMonster for the cable.

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

I installed a fuse panel under the left panel to power my GPS, 2 electric vest and a SAE plug for my battery charger. The GPS plug is tied off on the bars, with the other 3 stay under the seat till needed. I can still access the air filter and quick access to the fuse's if needed. My phone uses the USB port in the small glove box. All has been working fine for 20K miles

IMG_3014.jpg IMG_2961.jpg
    2021 RT LT