Spyder Garage

Default What is the seat pan material on 2018 F3's? Anyone know?

Do any of you gurus know the material that the seat pans for 2018 f-3 are made of? I've tried cementing it with ABS cement without success, just drys to a smooth shiny finish and doesn't adhere or do any type of bonding. I have a large crack in the passengers seat pan that I'd like to fix. Thanks in advance for your help.

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-07-2024 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You are right it is not ABS. It is something else entirely. I am going out to the shed where mine is stored. I'll post it in a few minutes.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-07-2024 at 06:26 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

it might be fiberglass reinforced plastic
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

It is something called PA66. It apparently in a polyamide or a nylon plastic used in auto and motorcycle parts electrical parts and other engineering applications. I have a request into a company about potential glues or plastic welding.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-07-2024 at 06:56 PM. Reason: a request... ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PA66 is a polyamide or nylon material that is produced by the polymerization of hexamethylene diamine and adipic acid12. It has a high melting point of 255°C and is a semicrystalline-crystalline material12. It has good rigidity, hardness, abrasion resistance, thermal dimensional stability, wear resistance, and low frictional properties345. It may absorb moisture and affect its dimensional stability3. It is used as a replacement to metal in various applications24. https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervie...2ED0&FORM=VIRE
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 02-07-2024 at 06:44 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    PA66 is a polyamide or nylon material that is produced by the polymerization of hexamethylene diamine and adipic acid12. It has a high melting point of 255°C and is a semicrystalline-crystalline material12. It has good rigidity, hardness, abrasion resistance, thermal dimensional stability, wear resistance, and low frictional properties345. It may absorb moisture and affect its dimensional stability3. It is used as a replacement to metal in various applications24. https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervie...2ED0&FORM=VIRE
    Love it!!! Thank you!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nylon 6/6, polyamide 6/6, is a general purpose, semicrystalline plastic. It has excellent temperature range performance and high chemical resistance. It also has low surface energy, minimizing sliding friction against another object, but also causing low wetability of a liquid on the surface. The plastic is often internally modified with impact additives and lubricants. As the material is made via a "condensation polymerization" process, that is, synthesized from a water solution, it has a normal moisture content of approaching 2% by weight, also causing difficulties with adhesives. (When we process PA6/6 for injection molding or extrusion, it must be dried to less than 0.2% to be able to achieve stuctural properties and maintain aethestics of the finished article.)

Sidebar: water absorption also affects other material properties. The first is it drastically improves impact strength. The downside is that it reduces tensile strength and flex modulus (it's weaker in tension but is also more flexible).

The semicrystalline molecular structure and high chemical resistance make it a difficult material to get adhesives to bond to. At minimum, a surface etch or primer will be needed, but it will be difficult to attain a structural repair using adhesives. To repair the crack, one might need to resort to a thermal bonding system and/or including a layer of structural material over the crack and use of a lap joint to provide necessary strength. (Note: the crack didn't just happen - it's due to an area of stress which exceeded the strength of the plastic. A simple butt-joint is not as strong as the parent material.)

Do an internet search with these terms "adhesive bonding to nylon 6/6" to get a range of explanations.
    Last edited by pauly1; 02-08-2024 at 10:59 AM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap