Spyder Garage

Default Is an Aerostich suit the way to go? Or not?

I've always wanted an R3 suit. I like the whole idea about it, but I'm not sure if I'd really use it that much. It's cold in the Winter here in E.TN, and gets hot and muggy in the summer. I wear a mesh armored jacket in the summer with jeans and boots usually. Winter I wear long johns , jeans usually a light Adidas track suit jacket my HD Shovelhead leather jacket. I don't commute (retired) and just ride for fun. I use my spyder more than my pickup.
    I like The Idea of the protection from the stich, but I still think in the back of my mind it's overkill for my riding style. Does anyone have or use one of these suits? Convince me they are the way to go or not.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Dasmoetorhead -- I have and wear two, a Roadcrafter Classic one-piece and a Roadcrafter Classic two-piece. I wear the top-only of the two-piece when riding within the city (San Diego) and the one-piece or both pieces of the two-piece all other times. As you know the suits have a variety of vents. Riding in 95+ temperatures takes some adaptation. At the beginning of summer it's really kinda tough but after a month I'm not especially bothered by the heat. But the suit is soaking wet from my sweat. I mean that literally -- when I remove the suit my clothes are drenched. Looks weird but doesn't bother me much.

I bought the one-piece many decades ago. The main zipper is getting chancy at the top so I called Aerostitch about repairs. I also complained how the suit has shrunk around the waistline. The ladies laughed and said they had a fix for that too.

Maybe your question will get me to stop procrastinating and send the one-piece for refurb. Thanks.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the info.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

No experience with Aero, but here I do the ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time. In my case that means leather pants, jacket and gloves. Every trip. Up to 95 deg. Then I allow myself to wear armored mesh.

Fo my money, if you’ve always wanted one, go for it, but wear it. All the time, for protection of you, not for color or fashion.
    2022 RT Ltd, Deep & Dark Marsala

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just went one size up and wear my mesh armour beneath a Teal snowsuit I picked up off of amazon for $159 at the time. Yep, I'm that cheap! LOL

I rode into work last year when it was 14 degrees, a couple of the older women there called me papa smurf!

cap.jpg cap1.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-06-2024 at 03:43 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I've thought about this for years. But when I am honest with myself I think that I would not wear it enough to justify the cost. For colder weather I am okay with my old Tourmaster jacket with zippered liner, and long johns and jeans (or leather chaps and jeans). If its cold enough to need more than that, I don't ride. And in the summer I have a Klim mesh jacket that is by far the best thing I have ever found that offers both protection and good airflow. And while I know its a bit foolish, when it gets really hot, i.e., 90 or more, I end up riding in jeans and a t-shirt, and fingerless gloves from the local HD dealership. My one concession to safety is to always, always, wear a decent helmet (usually my Shoei Neotec that I am thinking of replacing with the newest version soon). I suspect that if I spent the big bucks for the Aerostich suit I would only wear it during those in-between weather extremes and not too often at that.

I will add that when I was riding on two wheels, right or wrong I felt that my chances of ending up on the pavement were much higher than when riding my Spyder. So I have the inclination to be a little less safety concerned on the Spyder, including wearing sneakers sometimes rather than boots, and sometimes not wearing any gloves at all.

If you get the suit, let us all know how it works out for you.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

On my Honda I wear my Darien jacket and pants year round with motorcycle touring boots.
    When I ride the Can Am with my wife in warmer months I switch to a mesh jacket that matches her jacket. This is at her request, she does not like my Aerostich Hi Viz Jacket. And I switch to jeans with work boots. The knee pads in Darien pants are wide and make contacted with the bike before any other part of my leg. It is painful for me to grip the Can Am RTL wearing my Darien pants. My touring boots are too stiff for me to ride comfortably in cruiser position.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

You are right, it is overkill. So what. At your age what other people think doesn't matter. You have always wanted one, and you will for sure use it. If you have the money go for it. Call it the ultimate farkle,call it safety chrome, call it peace of mind. Call it whatever you want. Who cares if you wear it for fashon, or color or protection or for no reason just because you have it. When you wear it, you will get the protection regardless of why you put it on. And you have completed one more dream. Good luck.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

I prefer a Darian jacket. It's the best in hot weather. You open the sleeves and catch a mass flow of air. Better than any vents in any other jacket. I wear the Darian pants during the winter, but prefer the Kevlar mesh pants from Moto Port when it gets hot. I live outside of Death Valley and deal with a lot of extreme heat. It's what the majority of Moto Cops wear in California. I own a R3, and is fine when it's cool, but never in the summer. Few suits offer better protection than a R3
    2021 RT LT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I purchased my Roadcrafter Classic one-piece new four decades ago when I was commuting 100 miles/day from sea level to 3800ft elevation on my motorcycle (BMW K100). All-weather performance was the primary consideration. Leather didn't make the cut due to rain and snow issues. I noted the Roadcrafter was the only non-leather riding suit accepted by open-tracking sponsors. I ordered the TF3 armor as a winter-summer compromise. Being much skinnier at the time the suit was easy entry-exit. I also could fit the Aerostich heated vest (still have the vest, forget about closing the zipper).

The suit was the perfect choice for me. And when people saw me in it they knew I was serious. Many people admired it and asked questions. They were amused about it coming from the home of the Green Bay Packers.

Did the suit leak? Yeah but not much. Dried out at work or at home. I had a special hanger for both locations (special to avoid flexing the armor). Was the armor a pain in the winter? Yeah getting into the suit but once warmed up not too bad.

I never had to test its armor or abrasion resistance. Just like every other rider, an 80-20 combination of luck and skill.

I purchased the used Red (Oxblood) two-piece by coincidence not intent when I had a Red Moto Guzzi V7 III (which I quickly sold on when the dealer wanted $300 for a lubricant change for which I provided the lubricants and no bodywork removal was required -- besides it was showing disturbing signs of future problems). Its a bit different from the one-piece in pocket locations so muscle-memory means I keep putting my hands in the wrong places. When I wear both pieces it's actually a bit warmer on hot days than the one-piece.

I'm very pleased with both suits. One of my best purchase decisions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I've had a one-piece Roadcrafter (I think) since 2008. I used it all the time and it was in storage last four years, but I brought it out again last month as I bought a new Spyder. The suit is still as good as new (washed it a couple times many years ago). It's very, very comfortable with a very thoughtful design. I use it a bit less in the summer, unless I'm leaving town because we go through mountain passes and very cool weather before sunrise and after sunset even in the summer. When it's hot, you can open up all the vents and occasionally stick your arms into the wind to get some air flowing.

Based on my experience, it's comfortable for highway speeds between 45 and 85. Below 45, use a heated vest underneath it (the suit's pocket can comfortably house the vest controller). If you travel out of town, it's hard to carry a second suit around because you likely have other things you need. The stich can be a versatile single suit. I finished my Saddle Sore 1000 miles in it, going through a range of cold/hot conditions in the summer.
    Last edited by rational; 02-08-2024 at 01:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Can't speak for you but the wife and I both have Roadcrafter two piece with the T-3 armor. We bought hers because it was the only manufacturer that had women's sizing and would do alterations to the garment to allow a better fit for short people. My wife encouraged me to purchase one for myself, bless her heart, and I must say that we do ride more, almost daily. The suits offer excellent rain protection which came in handy when 5 of 6 travel days rained on our last trip. It is reassuring to know that you have the best protection for get offs and they wear well in the heat. Treat yourself to great riding gear, you only go around once.

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-07-2024 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Wow! Great information ya'll. I appreciate all of the real world riding evaluation. Exactly what I was looking for and basically what I have tead over the years. Now it's up to me to make that decision. Thanks again for all the help.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

The sweating and being soaked doesn't sound like much fun. I understand with this level of protection it's to be expected. I know I get hot enough in the summer with my mesh jacket jeans and boots. That's really the only reason I'm hesitant to make the purchase. I think I'm going to go another Summer with what I have, and re-evaluate my gear and make a decision to get an R3 or not.
    My other concern is how the suit performs with all the flaps unzipped for cooling. Does the suit flap around at speed when vents are open, or act like a parachute and blow up like a balloon at hwy speeds? Or does it stay close to the body due to its weight. idk.
    Last edited by Dasmoetorhead; 02-08-2024 at 10:28 AM.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

there is another choice www.motoport.com/ Excellent gear, air mesh good hot weather protection With a proven record.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    My other concern is how the suit performs with all the flaps unzipped for cooling. Does the suit flap around at speed when vents are open, or act like a parachute and blow up like a balloon at hwy speeds? Or does it stay close to the body due to its weight. idk.
    Not in my experience. It's on your, firmly, because you have the primary zips closed. The vents help a bit, but in my experience you have to occasionally expose them into the wind to get some much needed air circulation on a hot summer day. Raise your arms, sticks your hand into the wind etc so the air seeps in through the openings.

Spyder Garage

So many variables to your decision but here's my experience. Note that this is on a 2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom - I won't have my Spyder for a few weeks yet. I mention that because airflow differences between the two machines could make things different.

I wore a 2003 Roadcrafter Classic (I bought it used) from 2009 through 2020. As a commuter, I think there was nothing better - it goes on over my work clothes. So easy. Also worked well for my annual trips with friends. Comfort wise, as long as I was moving I was fine in the heat. I really like the underarm vents.

I spent a year in a Cycle Gear Sedici mesh jacket that I had to buy while on a trip after a user zipper failure on the Roadcrafter (more my fault than the suit's). And I'm a believer in the concept that in really hot weather, a solid material is better than mesh. With the caveat that I'm on the Pacific coast and have only ridden as far east as CO, WY, MT so I can't speak to the humidity in the south and on the east coast.

While on the topic of mesh, I did look at motoport gear. Good stuff with a good reputation. But I couldn't get over the idea that I had to stop and add/remove a liner when dealing with rain. In my Stich gear, I don't have to worry about rain, i just get to keep going. Note on the one piece: on my older version, after really heavy or prolonged riding in the rain, a couple times I did experience the dreaded crotch leak due to the pooling of water in my lap. I don't know how much that issue has been resolved in recent years and with the newer waterproof zippers.

After hemming and hawing about what gear to get to replace the Roadcrafter, I finally decided to go with the Darien jacket and AD1 pants. I'm still breaking in the jacket and learning what adjustments I need to make at what temps. Discovered that the unlined Darien is very different than the lined Roadcrafter Classic. I've found a good windproof shell that makes up for that in cooler temps. In warmer temps, unlined seems to be better.

I'm an Aerostich fan, no doubt. As I get a chance to ride more this year (now retired) and finish breaking in the Darien (the AD1 pants were good from the start), I'll figure out if I like two pieces better than the one piece. But so far, I do.

The best thing you can do is watch for Aerostich pop up events in your area. They bring lots of sample gear for you to try on to help determine size and how it feels on your bike (or one of their demo bikes). Or head up to MN to the factory. For sure, get on their email list so you can get information and notices of sales. Such as this one in my inbox this morning:
    Save 15% on all IN-STOCK suits, jackets, and pants! (In-stock garments are NOT Individually listed on the website.) Call 800-222-1994 for in-stock suit size information, availability, and to order!

Spyder Garage

Not to steal the thread, but for hot weather riding I have not found anything better than the Klim Induction jacket. It has excellent armor and allows a huge amount of airflow. The Spyder's windscreen is almost too efficient in hot weather. Even when I turn the vent to blow air on me, even with the Klim jacket I sometimes get miserably hot. With any of my other jackets, summer riding is almost out of the question. If I'm too hot with the Klim, just a long-sleeved t-shirt is about the best choice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-08-2024 at 03:11 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    I've always wanted an R3 suit. I like the whole idea about it, but I'm not sure if I'd really use it that much. It's cold in the Winter here in E.TN, and gets hot and muggy in the summer. I wear a mesh armored jacket in the summer with jeans and boots usually. Winter I wear long johns , jeans usually a light Adidas track suit jacket my HD Shovelhead leather jacket. I don't commute (retired) and just ride for fun. I use my spyder more than my pickup.
    I like The Idea of the protection from the stich, but I still think in the back of my mind it's overkill for my riding style. Does anyone have or use one of these suits? Convince me they are the way to go or not.
    This may not answer your question entirely, but I am in the ATGATT (all the gear all the time) group. If there is a chance you can be knocked off your ride in an accident, the protective gear is a must. Whether it be two wheel or three, sliding down the pavement with just jeans and a t-shirt for protection is not an option for me. Fact: a pair of new denim jeans will wear through in 0.3 seconds when sliding on pavement at 70mph. At that speed, you cover approximately 102 feet per second. Do you really want to feel asphalt grinding into your skin for the remainder of the "slide" after that; not to mention the possibility of severe damage to your head & brain hitting the pavement multiple times during the tumble/slide? I personally have worn full protective gear since seeing a friend mine's helmet and jacket after he slid off the road wearing full gear. The helmet looked as if someone had taken a grinder to it and the jacket had severe scuff marks all over it. Had he not been wearing that that gear, he might have been facing weeks of agonizing recovery. As it turns out, he was back riding again in just a few days.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 02-11-2024 at 01:29 AM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dasmoetorhead -- didn't mean to put you off with stories of my sweaty body. It's me not the Roadcrafter. I'm just a sweater kind of guy (not for Hunter Thompson reasons). And as I said during Summertime within a month I adapt to the heat to the point sitting at a traffic light in Valley Center in 100 degree temperatures doesn't bother me.

There are many excellent choices out there. Four decades ago when I was commuting every day on my motorcycle the Aerostitch was the best choice available. Today if I was only riding my Spyder I'd consider those other choices according to my riding seasons and budget. With regard to warmth there is no substitute for heated gear, preferably powered by the Spyder's unlimited energy not limited energy rechargeable batteries. Heat loss is attention loss and attention loss leads to riding time lost to spending time in the hospital.

Have fun this summer.

Spyder Garage

No worries Bert, I understand completely. I get hot in my mesh gear in rhe summer, and I'm sure it would be worse in a suit. As much as I like the Idea of the R3 or similar suit is a great idea, but I really hate to be soaked when riding. I'm glad I had all of these responses. I dont think an R3 is right for me. I believe in protective gear, but I don't think aerostich is for me. Maybe if I lived in the PNW, but not down here.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

If you purchase a Roadcrafter suit make sure it fits you correctly. Aerostich will adjust fitting on a new suit. But if you need any kind of tailoring in the future you will be out of luck. Aerostich will not do any tailoring. The suit is great in the winter and in the rain. I can't wear the suit in the summer, way to hot. Saying that, I lost weight and my suit is up for sale.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

Hi Dasmoetorhead.
    There was a lot of good opions and information added in the posts above. Seems like a lot of Spyder riders have top shelf riding gear, some of which, is from their earlier days riding on two wheels.

Somewhere in the 2010 timeframe, I made a trip to Duluth, MN to visit Aerostich to select a riding suit and get custom measured by the Aerostich staff right there in the store. This is a great opportunity to check out the various suits and pant they offer and to actually try them on from the large size inventory they have in stock. Note at this time, I barely knew that CanAm Spyders existed as I had a pair of air cooled Ducati Multistradas.

At the time I selected a High Viz two piece Roadcrafter and don't regret that choice at all. Note though that the one piece Roadcrafter was really tempting as it was soooo easy and quick to get into and out of...
    At that time, Aerostich also offered a 10% discount, if I remember correctly, if you were fitted at the store as the chance of getting it right first time go way up. Yes, other than being stiff as a shooting jacket and pants, until broken in, the suit when delivered fit perfectly. Once broken it, it softens up and is comfortable as easy to wear. Plus the High Viz suit does stand out and hopefully is noticed more quickly by our inattentive, cell phone addicted drivers on the road.

Several mentions of the Aerostich Darian jacket/pants have been made. It is unlined, unlike the Roadcrafter, and may be cooler in hot weather for that reason. However, per Aerostich, the Darian is basically a "standard sized", off the shelf suit wheras the Roadcrafter is a tighter and custom fit suit if ordered new. It is made to order for fit, so if you fall outside of the "norm", the Roadcrafter ordered new would be made to fit you rather than the "average"person. This is something to keep in mind.

I really liked the 2 piece Roadcrafter until the temp, along with high humidity in NE KS got to the mid 90s. Then it got hot, especially stopped. I ALWAYS wore the Roadcrafter jacket, SHoei full face helmet, the Aeostich Elkskin Roper gloves (these are GREAT!!!) and either my high top riding boots or at minimum, a set of 9 inch lace up RedWings. Didn't always wear the Roadcrafter pants on short trips though...but instead, I purchased several pairs of the Carhartt Double Fronted Logger pants, in both heavy weight denim and also heavy weight duck fabric. Not as good as the Roadcrafter pants, but much better than standard denim jeans...plus a knee pad can be slipped in between the layers on the front.

In the 2014 timeframe, I purchased 2009 Spyder GS/RS from my son. The above gear worked great, again unitl the mid 90s in the high humidity, then it was hot.

In 2021, I purchased a 21 Spyrder RTL. Very comfortable, with a large pocket of still air behind the stock windscreen. Note this 21 RTL has MUCH better windprotection than the Ducatis did, or than the 2009 Spyder, even with the Madstad windscreen (another superb item), so riding with the Roadcrafter on the RTL became even hotter since the wind protection was so much better. Below 90 degrees, the Roadcrafter, with vents open, was fine even on the 21 RTL.

Two years ago, as luck would have it, I found a forum member here selling a full 2 piece MotoPort (https://www.motoport.com/) Air Mesh Jacket and Air Mesh Pants with suspenders. After some back and forth communications and measurements, it seemed that his suit would fit me nearly perfectly...and it did. He sold the suit as he had to give up riding due to some spinal issues, but had bought it new and had it fitted at MotoPort. His bad luck turned out to be good luck for me. Like the Aerostich Roadcrafter, the MotoPort Air Mesh is also built to fit from measurements provided to them.

The Kevlar mesh, especially on the jacket, breathes much better in the high heat and humidity days here in NE KS and for those conditions, is much more comfortable to me in the heat. Cold and wet, the Roadcrafter would be my choice, and, as mentioned earlier it does not need a rain liner, or over coat like the Kevlar Mesh Motoport does. I am extremely fortunate to have two top shelf suits that both fit well but serve different needs, temperature wise, while riding.

Note, if I were to go sliding down the road in one of these suits, I would pick the Motoport Air Mesh every time. Luckily I have not had to test this, but the MotoPort is built like a tank. And, this is not putting the Roadcrafter down in any way. Both are great riding suits with somewhat different features.

Hope this is of some benefit. Thanks Rod

Yes, my MotoPort Air Mesh jacket is also the High Viz version. It is towards the yellow-green side, vs the High Viz yellow of the Roadcrafter jacket, but both do stand out, which is my intent.

AIR-MESH-JACKET-HIVIZ-GRAY-1-100x100.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-15-2024 at 01:35 AM.