Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Pedal Commander video on Banks power

New video on Banks Power on the Pedal Commander explains what the unit does vs claims FYI, not meant to bash any users or vendors.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndysF3S View Post
    New video on Banks Power on the Pedal Commander explains what the unit does vs claims FYI, not meant to bash any users or vendors.
    Yeah, the PC is not designed to make you think your Spyder is faster, which is what his premise is based on in making his negative call.

For me, it removes the lag if I am accidentally in too low a gear, where grabbing a handful of throttle simply bogs the Spyder down. The Pedal Commander eliminates this and lets you join freeway traffic without worry about that fast approaching B Double.
    Sure, I could always make sure I am never in too low a gear, but being human, I make mistakes.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Got a link??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

You can try this: https://official.bankspower.com/news...3632616.170645

Its under the banks power news and media, than scroll down the page until you see the trophy.

Spyder Garage

It is strange (this happens in the Car Forums as well) that so many people want to say that the Pedal Box or Pedal Commander doesn't make your XYZ faster, when both manufacturers clearly state that these devices are throttle response controllers (RESPONSE) being the key word. They just make slow, laggy, stock throttle's snappier.

I love mine and didn't have to pay for a tuned ECM, Though would love to someday.

Banks doesn't make a Can-AM Spyder unit, I tried, their units are ONLY OBDII compliant, so whatever he's selling doesn't apply to Spyders anyhow does it.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Got a link??
    Or, if you prefer YouTube directly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL3pKztZirA

I have to say that I did kick back and LMAO watching it...............
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did not watch the entire video, but I did skip around. When I saw the 5.0 mustang in the backgroud, I was interested. A lot of what he said was crap. I purchased the pedal commader for my 2017 5.0 mustang after being so happy with the pedal commander on my 2016 F3T and 2016 F3L. I am as much, or more satisfied with the performance of it on my mustang. Yes, just like on the spyder, you will need to adjust your driving if you turn it up to sport or sport plus. But having the buttons works for me. I do not like using my phone app for controling it. So yes, I do enjoy the pedal commander on my car and the only thing that I wish, is that they made one for my 2002 ford lightning.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

For those that don't know; Gale Banks is 80 years old and has been a speed enthusiast for at least 60 years. He has many land and water speed records and his knowledge of both gasoline and diesel engines naturally aspirated, turbo charged, supercharged, and supercharged plus turbo charged on the same diesel engine making huge horsepower reliably, is second to none. He has had several military contracts to provide upgraded diesel power for their heavy vehicles and is/was working on a Hybrid with them as well.

He provides both tunes and inline tuners for current and older vehicles that remain completely emissions compliant; and works closely with GM on the L5P diesel in the 2500/3500 series. He does not provide a product for bikes or spyders.

The reason he made the video is that Pedal Commander tried to compare their product to his, the Pedal Monster, which is made for the automotive industry.

There was an older thread on here (many pages of discussion) where one of the participants had a very good electrical background and he made a compelling argument that the Pedal Commander did nothing more than the throttle could do; it just changed the signal to the ECU so that the ECU responded to a more open throttle than the rider had actually commanded on the hand grip.

The reason I posted the video is that at 12:47 there is a chart that shows visually throttle position (vertically) vs pedal or hand grip position (horizontally). What happens is when you move the hand grip 10-20 percent you send the signal to the ECM that the throttle position is 70-90% open and that is why the driver gets the feeling that you are accelerating much quicker, when in fact you are accelerating at or near full throttle not at the hand grip throttle position. The ECM regulates the actual throttle opening as per its programming not as per the throttle position signal. Perhaps this is why some have commented to be very careful in wet conditions.

For those of us that have the F3S we have Eco, standard and sport mode. As the graph a bit later in the video shows, "Eco" is below the standard straight black line (idle to WOT) and "Sport" is above the straight line but all three eventually meet at the far right at WOT. The Eco is slower and lazier (economy) the standard is the straight line and what I normally use, Sport, feels quicker but doesn't give you any more power at WOT. I have read that the Sport mode also "relaxes the nanny a bit in the lower gears" that allows some wheel spin before reducing the throttle opening.

As I stated in the title, the purpose of the post was to try and explain what the Pedal Commander was doing to the throttle signal that was being sent to the ECM not to bash anyone that bought or sells this product. If you like the enhanced throttle response of the Pedal Commander continue to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2024 at 04:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Bottom line, Pedal or Power Commander can give you that OH S4!t type feeling.

If you really want a performance increase look at Dynojet or Monster for a little more money.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Yeah I think it's been pretty clearly documented that the Pedal Commander or Pedal Box only increases throttle response, not any true horsepower improvement at all. That being said the increased throttle response is a great pleasure to have. It makes the Spyder more fun to drive.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

I have used the Pedal Commander on my GMC Canyon and GMC Sierra. In both cases after driving it for a few weeks the vehicles went into limp mode. I used an ODBC tool to clear the codes which it did. But the issues reappeared after a short period of time. I now have two Pedal Commanders sitting uselessly on my workbench. I am very interested in the PedalMonster

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dalavette View Post
    I have used the Pedal Commander on my GMC Canyon and GMC Sierra. In both cases after driving it for a few weeks the vehicles went into limp mode. I used an ODBC tool to clear the codes which it did. But the issues reappeared after a short period of time. I now have two Pedal Commanders sitting uselessly on my workbench. I am very interested in the PedalMonster
    That scenario occurred on Spyders as well when the Pedal Commander first came out for them, dalavette. In the few cases I saw, it ended up being that either the incorrect model had been shipped for the Spyder, or it had not been configured correctly on install.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    That scenario occurred on Spyders as well when the Pedal Commander first came out for them, dalavette. In the few cases I saw, it ended up being that either the incorrect model had been shipped for the Spyder, or it had not been configured correctly on install.

Pete
    My Mustang already has 3 or 4 driving modes. And to be honest, I did not need it with the way I drive now. But after getting over $50 off on the Black Friday sale, I couldn't help getting it. And just like the Spyder, it did not increase upon the 435 hp that it has stock, it just made it more responsive. If I truly wanted more power, I would have gone with a s/c or something.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2024 at 04:52 PM.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

A little bit of apples and oranges comparing the automotive to the Spyder/Ryker. But same concept. I still have some disagreement when people say these do not increase HP on the Spyder. Because they do increase available, useable HP in some situations. Because the computer on the FBW Spyders will begin to close off the throttle bodies at higher RPM's (still well below redline). While total potential HP is not changed, one of these units will increase usable HP by keeping your throttle bodies at WOT.

Taking out the lag between throttle actuation and implementation makes you quicker. Something that you can't get with the OEM setup.

These are a great addition for most ryders. They do what they are designed to do on the Spyder and Ryker (though personally, I don't think they are needed on the Ryker).
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-29-2024 at 03:01 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A little bit of apples and oranges comparing the automotive to the Spyder/Ryker. But same concept. I still have some disagreement when people say these do not increase HP on the Spyder. Because they do increase available, useable HP in some situations. Because the computer on the FBW Spyders will begin to close off the throttle bodies at higher RPM's (still well below redline). While total potential HP is not changed, one of these units will increase usable HP by keeping your throttle bodies at WOT.

Taking out the lag between throttle actuation and implementation makes you quicker. Something that you can't get with the OEM setup.

These are a great addition for most ryders. They do what they are designed to do on the Spyder and Ryker (though personally, I don't think they are needed on the Ryker).
    I am not an authority on the Pedal Commander but from the chart showing that the PC only changes the signal going to the ECM; the ECM doesn't know anything more and it opens and closes the throttle body based on its previous programming in the same way that it would if you were at that throttle opening by rotating your hand to that same position as the PC. If you roll into the throttle slowly and have a PC it changes the signal to the ECM to a higher foot pedal or hand rotation reading; resulting in a quicker acceleration based only on advancing the throttle signal nothing else. JMO

Even the Canam ECO, Standard and Sport do not change the HP the ECM adjusts the engine to provide, WOT is WOT in all modes and the PC as well. JMO

Spyder Garage

Nothing like a tune.
    Last edited by mandytuning; 01-29-2024 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Late to the party; & Moved Post title after merge - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

I am not an authority on the Pedal Commander but from the chart showing that the PC only changes the signal going to the ECM; the ECM doesn't know anything more and it opens and closes the throttle body based on its previous programming in the same way that it would if you were at that throttle opening by rotating your hand to that same position as the PC. If you roll into the throttle slowly and have a PC it changes the signal to the ECM to a higher foot pedal or hand rotation reading; resulting in a quicker acceleration based only on advancing the throttle signal nothing else. JMO

Even the Canam ECO, Standard and Sport do not change the HP the ECM adjusts the engine to provide, WOT is WOT in all modes and the PC as well. JMO
    Initial WOT is WOT. But the ECU modifies that and will close the throttle bodies when the ryder still has the throttle in the wide open position.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Initial WOT is WOT. But the ECU modifies that and will close the throttle bodies when the ryder still has the throttle in the wide open position.
    Juuust recalling the graph from BRP that's comparing the throttle response for ECO & Normal Modes in the Spyders, and I'm pretty sure that ECO mode, at least on the Spyders, doesn't ever actually achieve WOT!?!

IIRC, I reckon that it never gets that far; the ECO line on the graph was some % lower right from the outset, ending about 30% less than WOT at full twist, where the 'Normal Mode' actually hit WOT - and then, as Ron has mentioned, the control systems modify the command signal even further and despite the rider continuing to hold WOT (or the about 30% lower equivalent for ECO Mode) on the handgrip, the actual throttle opening is reduced somewhat... In the case of ECO Mode, that reduction is applied on top of the reduction that selecting ECO Mode already imposes!

So it's not true to say "WOT is WOT in all modes", because you never actually get to WOT in ECO Mode

And regardless of the Mode selected, even if you continue to hold your hand in the WOT position, the OEM control system will then cut back from/reduce that within moments anyway! I don't believe that the Power Commander changes any of that at all, nor does it 'reduce the Nanny' or do anything else to the OEM ECU or power output, even tho it will speed up the initial 'dial in' of your perceived throttle input as your hand twists the throttle... 'Achieving a wider throttle opening for less hand twist' is probably a 'more correct' way of describing what it does, cos it's basically just packing/compressing the former effect of a full hand twist into something less than that...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2024 at 03:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Let's not confuse the signal that goes from the hand grip with the signal that the ECM sends to the throttle body; the ECM controls the throttle body by the programmed parameters within it and a WOT from the hand grip will be the same whether it is from the PC or the hand grip if it isn't it will throw a TPS code, anyway as usual we are drifting away from the original purpose of the thread so go ahead and close it please. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Just installed a Pedal Box, bought it for $200 from a friend who won it in a raffle. Great upgrade, I keep it in Sport +1. I realize it didn't increase HP, or re-map my ECU, but it took that Throttle LAG out 95%.

Spyder Garage

Let's not confuse the signal that goes from the hand grip with the signal that the ECM sends to the throttle body; the ECM controls the throttle body by the programmed parameters within it and a WOT from the hand grip will be the same whether it is from the PC or the hand grip if it isn't it will throw a TPS code, anyway as usual we are drifting away from the original purpose of the thread so go ahead and close it please. Thanks.
    Threads just naturally die a death as members don’t comment on them, Andy. Just skip over the thread if you have lost interest, and it will effectively close itself

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Peter as "the editor in chief" please delete the entire thread thanks Andy

Spyder Garage

Peter as "the editor in chief" please delete the entire thread thanks Andy
    The main difference between Forums like this and most other forms of 'social media' is the continued access to every post and thread that's been put up by the Member Community, forming a searchable and significant database of information that doesn't get swamped and lost in amongst all the other minutiae that follows; and in this Forum, the threads and individual posts are all contributing to a living and growing collection of knowledge, experience, and discussion about all things Spyder/Ryker related that's gathered here for current and future members to access now and in the future... So why would you want to get rid of this thread and all the valuable discussion and info in it??

Besides, we try VERY HARD NOT to do what you've requested up there ^ Andy, cos doing that DOES hurt the Forum's standing with the big search engines and it only takes a little bit of that before they start dropping us down their results listings or even completely off their search results.... And if we get downgraded/dropped off their results, our Sponsors stop getting all that much in the way of benefit from their investment here, putting their continued sponsorship at risk. And if we lose them and their valued contributions, it puts the Forum's continued operations at risk, possibly even at risk of closure!! Surely you don't want to be even a part of that, do you?

It's for these reasons that Members no longer have access to the 'Delete' option on their posts - too many needless deletions were threatening the Forum's continued operation & we were edging closer to risking closure!

This is also why we ask that you don't use the 'edit' facility to gut/empty your posts once they've been posted, not even years after the fact - any OP editing their posts to effectively take the content out of them and leaving nothing but 'Delete' or words to that effect (or a lack of words! ) is basically making a direct attack on the Forum's continued viability, and while we've been somewhat tolerant of that being done once or twice in the past, that is far less likely to be the case any longer!!

So No, the Mods won't be deleting the entire thread, Andy; and as Pete suggested above, if you are no longer interested in it, your best course of action is to stop posting in it. If you're subscribed to the thread, either because you started it or because you elected to subscribe to it, then you should probably un-subscribe.... Over time, others will likely do the same once their interest wanes, but the thread will remain so that if anyone ever wants to research this subject at any time in the future, it's still available; and if they want to ask questions or expand on the discussion, they can add to it! Ideally, members will ALWAYS search before starting a new thread, and they'd only ever start a new thread on any given subject if their question or discussion point wasn't directly related to that of the existing thread/s, but despite the Mod Team's best efforts at merging and re-directing posters, especially those too lazy to bother making any effort themselves &/or expecting others to do all the work for them, we've all seen how many oil & tire threads there are out there!! It shouldn't happen, but it does!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-31-2024 at 07:16 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My point exactly only the "editor in chief decides", I will ignore this thread as it appears to be my only option, Thanks Peter I hope the forum continues to do well.

Spyder Garage

My point exactly only the "editor in chief decides", I will ignore this thread as it appears to be my only option, Thanks Peter I hope the forum continues to do well.
    We're working on it, always!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!