Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

I apologize for not reading all the posts. So, this may be redundant. But a trickle charger (maintainer) will not bring a low charged battery back to full charge. They are designed to maintain a fully charged battery only. If your battery is low, you need to use a charger designed to bring it to a full charge first, then put it on a maintenance battery tender.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I apologize for not reading all the posts. So, this may be redundant. But a trickle charger (maintainer) will not bring a low charged battery back to full charge. They are designed to maintain a fully charged battery only. If your battery is low, you need to use a charger designed to bring it to a full charge first, then put it on a maintenance battery tender.
    Well I reported 6 mos. ago that I did just that ..... not a Spyder battery, it was an automotive one .... it took about 4 days & did use a regular charger to initially Jolt it ... But right now that battery is still holding a charge and it's been outside all winter .....just sayin ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Yes, although most decent bits of gear these days perform both tasks, Ron. Mine does a bulk charge to bring the battery back to full charge, then moves to a trickle/maintenance charge to hold it there

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Wife has a 2020 Spyder RTL and after the 2nd winter sitting in the garage on a maintainer charger it did not want to start but finally did. Threw a regular charger on it and no problem that summer. Same thing after the 3rd winter only the VSS light came on. She got a battery from Lamonster and now cranks like crazy fast for a quick fire up. Do not know how long it will last but the old battery sits on my work bench on the maintainer and is used as a test battery when I need 12 volts for something.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2024 at 01:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I bought my 2020 Spyder and picked it up in March of 2020.
    By March 2022 the factory YUASA battery was dead. Prior to its premature demise, the Spyder would turn over slowly.
    It's true, "They don't make 'em like they used to".
    I was stranded and needed an immediate replacement.
    I got a battery at Oreilly's.
    I don't have a lot of faith in modern batteries, I've also had problems with the marine batteries on my boat.
    I figured, I'd better change out the Spyder battery for the 2024 riding season, so I don't get stranded again.
    I wound up getting the NOCO LIPO battery I bought from Lamonster.
    It's supposed to last 10 times as long.
    The only problem I've found so far is that I needed to replace my battery tender with a more modern one that allows for the LIPO battery chemistry.
    I ran into to similar situation - our 2020 RT's were "left over" models that we purchased in 2021. My battery went bad in 6 months, I'm guessing that it was on the show room floor w/o any battery maintenance for months. I installed a MotoBatt from Slingmods, it lasted just over a year before the slow cranking happened, and the brass terminals had evidence of corrosion (leakage?) We made the jump to Noco LiPo batteries recently (already had the chargers) and haven't looked back.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-23-2024 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Put the Quote before the Reply, just like in a conversation. ;-)