Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon Filter Kits - What's the difference between a K&N filter kit & a Hi-Flo Kit?

What’s the difference between the K & N kit and the Hi-Flo one? I see Spyderboyz offers both.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaniBoy View Post
    What’s the difference between the K & N kit and the Hi-Flo one? I see Spyderboyz offers both.
    Well the NAME & the cost .... Ron sells the Hi-Flo and likes it ..... JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

K&N has synthetic blend media. Either would be fine.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 10:23 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Been using HiFlo filters for years on multiple bikes. Never any issues..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

About $10!
    I have used both the Hi Flo and K&N on my 2012 Goldwing and when I traded it in for my RTL it had 94,000 on it.
    No problems, IMHO is more a choice of what you want.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

HiFlo uses a high end paper filter medium. I know paper sounds cheap. But a good quality paper element is actually quite good for filtering oil. The idea is to get uniform passthrough sized ports. Some poor quality filter elements have a wide spread in what size solids they will allow through the filter and this is not good. You want the right size and consistent size. A lot of high end cars use a paper filter medium. You just don't know it because it's sealed in a can.

K&N uses a synthetic filter medium. It is easier to get uniform filtration size passthrough consistency with synthetic material, though the material itself costs more. Synthetic material is stronger than paper and can be more desirable in engines that are consistently run at high RPM's and have modified oil pumps that deliver high pressure and high volume, like race engines. I will say that the K&N is a higher quality filter. But the higher quality does not necessarily translate to better performance. The Spyder can't use the additional features provided by the K&N, so the improvement offered does not really apply.

I'm not saying don't buy the K&N, or that you're foolish if you do. The price difference is not that large and if the K&N gives you piece of mind, that's worth quite a bit.

For our purposes in the Spyder/Ryker, the HiFlo works just as well as the K&N. We've tested both with no discernable difference. We've also tested against the BRP filters (which are of very high quality) with the same results.

We use the HiFlo filters in our personal and shop bikes. As do most of our customers.

For some customers, they don't recognize the HiFlo name. The box and filter don't look as nice. And the word paper doesn't thrill them. The K&N filter and packaging look more impressive. And it is a well know brand. And this does it for other customers.

Bottom line. We don't sell something just because it costs less. If it doesn't do a good job, we won't sell it regardless of the cost. Like you, we like stuff that works well. If it costs more, then that's the way we go.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-27-2024 at 02:11 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...