Spyder Garage

Question Clutch or Brakes smell?

New to my 2019 RT. 4600 miles on it. When we take it out, there's a very noticable smell at stoplights and after the ride. To me it smells like burning clutch from the old manual shift car days. Also maybe could be brakes? It's not overpwoeringly strong, but it's there for sure. And before everyone says I'm riding the brakes, I am definitely not. The question is, is this smell normal or should I take it the dealer?

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum

I have a 2019 RTL in POM black edition see my avatar. I dont get a smell from the bike unless im doing the North Georgia mountain roads and use the brakes super hard. Does yours have a cat delete? Those may smell a bit. Also check to see if anything rubber has gotten close to the exhaust.... Oh and post up pics of the bike !!
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Like I said on that other board.

I noticed that a few times with the various Spyder's that I've owned, I always assumed that it came from the drive belt.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Could be smell from catalytic converter? The clutch is inside engine running in oil whether semi auto or manual. How many miles?
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

You aren't going to get a smell from the clutch. And if it is slipping, you're going to know it pretty quickly. Could be exhaust. The cat can get pretty hot and it's located where when stopped, the hot air comes up to the rider. And oil leak, even if very small, can smell quite a bit if it is located over components that get hot.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I thought catalytic converter smell was more like a rotten egg smell. For Brakes, you are going to have to raise it off the ground and hand rotate each wheel to see if any side is dragging. While it's up there, you can look for any rubber parts on or too near the exhaust.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-28-2024 at 02:45 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Allen -- I assume when you said new to your Spyder and it had 4600 miles on it you bought it used. So your smell brings to mind Descanso's rodents, most of whom love the taste of wire insulation and the rest love a warm space to rest. Did either you or the previous owner live in a rodent-friendly neighborhood? If it didn't smell when you purchased your Spyder and now it does, time to become a cat owner.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know I get weird "road smells " from all of the crap that got slung over from the wheel right over on top of the catalytic converter and then it would burn off, fun smell to have when you come back in the garage.

I just did a cat delete yesterday, and another reason for it along with less heat and less weight. I am getting ready to wrap my cat delete pipe and seal the tape with some hi temp silicone to stop the last bit of heat from the pipe and to keep stuff from burning off on it.

Very poor design of having the catalytic converter right in the path of the road spray from the tire and other stuff like sand, mud, and tar chips I have found burning off on the top of it when getting back from rides. It an especially good smell if you run over road-kill or the splatter from it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-28-2024 at 09:39 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black