Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Put Seafoam in their OIL?

Seafoam claims that one oz per quart of oil can be dumped into the reservoir and run for 300 miles prior to an oil and filter change. Apparently it will reliquify any gunk/deposits so it can all be drained out. Anyone ever try this on a Spyder? It sounds like an awesome idea, but I’m worried about damaging the HCM or wet clutch. Mine is a 2010 RS SE 5 so it has the centrifugal clutch.
    ~~2010 RS SE5 My first Spidey, but not my first ride~~

The trigger’s been pulled. We have to
    get there before the hammer falls.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaniBoy View Post
    Seafoam claims that one oz per quart of oil can be dumped into the reservoir and run for 300 miles prior to an oil and filter change. Apparently it will reliquify any gunk/deposits so it can all be drained out. Anyone ever try this on a Spyder? It sounds like an awesome idea, but I’m worried and damaging the HCM or wet clutch. Mine is a 2010 RS SE 5 so it has the centrifugal clutch.
    My recommendation would be to just change the oil at the specified intervals and not use any oil additives. I am a retired ASE auto tech and have never been a fan of motor flushes or other oil additives. Certainly would not want to put anything in the Spyder engine that may be harmful to the clutch.

2019 RTL
    2019 RTL , Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jchadwi View Post
    My recommendation would be to just change the oil at the specified intervals and not use any oil additives. I am a retired ASE auto tech and have never been a fan of motor flushes or other oil additives. Certainly would not want to put anything in the Spyder engine that may be harmful to the clutch.
    .... and if Sea-foam RUINS YOUR CLUTCH ARE THEY GOING TO PAY FOR REPAIRS ?????? ..... I think not ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quick reaction is to say don’t, the spyder tranny is a lil picky as it is. Upon reviews from the Seafoam site https://seafoamworks.com/questions-a...-clutchsolved/ it's till probably not worth the risk. Just keep up with the regular oil changes, go full synthetic, & leave additives out; fuel treatments & stabilization is less picky.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2024 at 03:06 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I am a believer in seafoam, but I would not put it in my spyders oil!!! I would hate to see what it might do to the clutch plates.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have used it and recommend it for gas when folks are having injector issues from sitting too long - but have never and don't plan to ever put it in oil.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Don't do it. First, if you maintain your engine in any reasonable fashion with at least decent oil. You're not going to get the buildup that Sea-Foam is describing. We've torn down a number of engines and even the less well taken care of are very clean inside.

A wet clutch is nothing to mess with. The SE6 is pretty forgiving. But the SE5 is extremely particular, as wet clutches go. Put your time and money elsewhere. Change your oil and filters at the correct service intervals and you'll get well over 100,000 miles without oil related issues.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...