Spyder Garage

Default Hydraulic housing failure clutch

Losing pressure. Hard to get in first gear. 2400 dollars for part. 4000 dollars out the door. Ride bike every day was told might not get part till March. This is my fourth spyder. This is my last spyder can't afford these kind of fixes.

Spyder Garage

What part is it that you need?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It's called a hydraulic housing assembly. A non repairable part. SE6 the inner workings that has to do with paddle shifting. I have never heard of one going bad as I have had 4 spyders with paddle shift no problems. I am told it is not holding pressure

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Part # 22 in this diagram..

Capture.jpg

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm skeptical .... .....goodluck .....I'd get a second opinion & maybe a third .....Mike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yea it seems like you would have to have very acidic oil for this to go bad but you would think it would take out other parts before the housing leaked .. maybe a bad cast?

I would be hoping for a bad gasket, o ring or seal within the assembly? But you wouldn't know until you take it apart.

People have had issues with bad casts on other engine parts.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-01-2024 at 10:59 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks looks expensive. Have used amsoil for several hundred thousand miles between 4 spyders. Shop told me it could be a seal leaking. Need to replace whole unit. New clutch while it's apart. 60,000 miles on this 2016 RTS
    Last edited by oneway; 01-01-2024 at 11:15 AM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oneway View Post
    Thanks looks expensive. Have used amsoil for several hundred thousand miles between 4 spyders. Shop told me it could be a seal leaking. Need to replace whole unit. New clutch while it's apart. 60,000 miles on this 2016 RTS
    Well, I’m kinda skeptical, too, because “not holding pressure” is too general of a term. Besides, all of those internal parts are replaceable individually….including seals…without having to give you the whole unit. It could simply be a 200 dollar solenoid valve, or 3 dollar seal. I see that you had 28000 miles on it 4 years ago, 60,000 now. I trust that the HCM filter has been changed as required by the schedule? That would sure affect pressure. This is one of those things that calls for a second opinion if you’re so inclined. Your decision. Good luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

I'm having difficulty understanding this:
    Losing pressure. Hard to get in first gear.
    The SE6 clutch is ENGAGED with HCM oil pressure. Per the Service Manual
    Clutch clamping with hydraulic force via clutch piston – hydraulic pressure is generated by the HCM. The clutch is disengaged by reducing hydraulic pressure to clutch piston, clutch springs open the pressure plate.
    Are you saying after shifting into 1st, the Spyder does not move forward as you increase throttle? Or are you saying the Spyder does not shift easily from N to 1st?

Next question: with the engine off after releasing the parking brake, can you push your Spyder forward and backward?

Next question: what was the measured HCM line pressure while the engine was running and in 1st gear (I assume the dealer used BUDS)?

If the dealer didn't provide you this pressure information, you need to measure it. Below screw #4 (tightening sequence) of the HCM filter is a standard 3-wire pressure transducer that measures clutch engagement pressure (0 - 174 psi). One wire (VT/BU) is Ground, one wire (VT/GN) is Vo bias voltage and one wire (YE/WH) is Vs sensor voltage. Turn the ignition on and carefully using needle-type connector back probes, verify the function of each wire. Vo is probably 5V although it might be 12V and Vs will be 0.5V although if Vo is 12V it will be 5V.

Once you have verified the wire functions, connect one probe to Ground and the other to Vs. Start the engine. Vs should increase albeit not by much. It may be a 200psi transducer although more likely 300psi. For a 5V Vo 200psi transducer, the clutch pressure is ((Vs - 0.5V) / 0.02) psi. 5V Vo 300psi transducer is ((Vs - 0.5V) / 0.03) psi.

Shift into 1st and increase the throttle to 1500rpm. You should be seeing Vs at least 2V probably higher.

If Vs reaches 2V or more, then your HCM probably isn't the problem. Your problem is more likely the holding nut for the clutch assembly has loosened and backed out a turn or two. Expensive labor for disassembly is still required but expensive parts shouldn't be needed. Do a search for this problem -- it has occurred before.

If Vs doesn't reach 2V then yeah I think you're going to need some expensive parts.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Had similar issue on SE5, hopefully is just seals & gaskets. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ranny-heads-up

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Absolutely get another opinion. AND ask for the printed BUDS report.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red