Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RT Speedo unit damaged by shop - no OEM; any a/mkt or rebuilders?

Shop damaged my 2011 RT speedo unit and now it will not come up. The shop said they cannot find a replacement and the factory has none any more. Any aftermarket and rebuilders?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-30-2023 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Hi!
    If by speedo unit, do you mean the whole display unit with gauges and tft display?
    And if you do, check with this site: https://www.bike-parts-can-am.com/ca...arts/710002799

I hope the shop will replace what they broke without any cost to you. Best of luck and a Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-30-2023 at 07:24 AM.
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Larryd have you been able to use Copart without being a dealer or using going thru an agent? Do they sell individual parts? It appears that you can only buy whole units and you must be a salvage dealer or go thru someone who is.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Pull the unit and check the pins. It isn't hard to bend one over. Especially if you have a ham fisted tech that isn't careful. If it is a pin, it can, most likely, be corrected. Good luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Larryd have you been able to use Copart without being a dealer or using going thru an agent? Do they sell individual parts? It appears that you can only buy whole units and you must be a salvage dealer or go thru someone who is.
    No, not me direct...My dealer has sold salvage units to them and has gotten me a few items over the year...larryd

Spyder Garage

Thank you Larryd. If BajaRon's suggeston doesn't workout maybe YankeeDoodle's dealer can hook up with Copart to find what he needs

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

sorry late night. Yes it is the complete speedometer unit. They were trying of find an electrical problem and kept trying to start the bike. Which would not start, but flash the whole odometer unit, until they damaged it and the battery. Changed the battery and found the Radio module was the problem. But after replacing (Twice) the radio module the bike finally started, but blacked out the odometer unit completely.

Spyder Garage

Umm thought there is a 10 yr parts requirement for discontinued??

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

2011 is 2 years past 10 years.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeDoolte View Post
    Shop damaged my 2011 RT speedo unit and now it will not come up. The shop said they cannot find a replacement and the factory has none any more. Any aftermarket and rebuilders?
    Hi, sorry to hear about this ..... I've read the other posts ( above ) ....Could you tell us if this was a BRP shop that was qualified to work on Spyders ????? ....I don't want their name, just want to know their qualifications ....All legitimate businesses have insurance ......Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    2011 is 2 years past 10 years.
    2011 yes didn’t the 998 get discontinued 2016. Granted just the engine the dash changes were 2018. Right?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    2011 yes didn’t the 998 get discontinued 2016. Granted just the engine the dash changes were 2018. Right?
    It would be logical to think that. But unfortunately, even though the cluster looked the same in progressive years, the part number changed in 2012 and was used in the 998 RT and ST there-after. The cluster is a CAN module of its own in the system, and has to be able to talk to all the other modules. Are they backwards compatible? Who knows. But, it would be an expensive science project to try to find that out, unless somebody has already done it.

If the OP comes back, maybe there will be more info on the extent of the failure, how it happened, and whether it’s the entire cluster or just the speed function. My first impression was the same as Ron’s. Could simply be a connector issue.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 12-31-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

If all else fails, you could possibly track down the sending unit for the speedometer. Might find something on the schematics in the service manual. It would be located somewhefre near the output shaft of the transmission and send pulse RPMs of that shaft. I have replaced elecronic speedometers with aftermarket products that required adjustment to get accurate readings, but most of them come with the adjusting mechanism built in. The ones I replaced were on 25 or 30 year old Harleys and made specifically for that product line, but should work on other brands that have a final drive sending unit. The problem with aftermarket for Spyders is they are not as numerous and nobody could make a profit selling aftermarket parts for them. Wrecking yard parts would be the best bet, and some close year models might fit. It is like working in the dark. You gotta feel your way through. Another possibility is a speedometer that operates from a GPS unit. As a last ditch effort, if the tach works, you can figure out the speed in the gears from engine RPM. The police might want to know why you keep driving back and forth through their radar speed detector sign and then stopping to make notes. Only a few basic speeds you really have to know to keep from getting a ticket.

Disclaimer - I am not a Spyder Tech. I have just worked on a lot of antique tractors, boats, small engines, and very old motorcycles. I have repaired some things that parts are not available for. Once the source of junkyard parts has been exhausted, it comes down to whatever will work. After the dealers and the factory stop supplying parts, the best option is to find a parts bike. They will be cheap, because nobody else can fix theirs either.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver