Spyder Garage

Default New Battery Install '22 RTL - where does the little Black wire go?

Had to replace my OEM battery, a cheap Chinese unit that lasted less than 18 months. The new battery is in, but I have a concern about the wiring. Specifically, the positive wire has the usual red lead but it also has, as an integral part of the wire, a black wire with its own attachment point. There is enough length that the black part of the positive wire could reach the negative post. The dedicated negative wire is right where it should be so no issues there. My problem is that I don't remember where that black wire on the positive lead was when I removed the battery. Logic tells me that black wire should be connected to the negative terminal, but it is a $260 LiIon battery that I don't want to destroy with a wrong hookup. I looked in the owner's manual - no help. Searched several sites and watched several vids but there was no single, definitive answer. Queried this forum but again, I didn't find a definitive answer. I'm a bit of a DIY loser (LOL) so any help will be appreciated. Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-28-2023 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread; expanded title to briefly ask the question; & moved here from Welcome sub-forum!! ;-)
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pictures of what you’re talking about helps.

Any small wires are an accessory and most likely it’s the Battery Tender Jr pigtail. If so there should be two black wires, one with an inline fuse (+) and a plain wire (-). Any other connections should be the beefy red/black terminal connection.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Pictures of what you’re talking about helps.

Any small wires are an accessory and most likely it’s the Battery Tender Jr pigtail. If so there should be two black wires, one with an inline fuse (+) and a plain wire (-). Any other connections should be the beefy red/black terminal connection.
    I agree as this sounds like a Tender pigtail, so you should find the wire with the inline fuse.
    NEVER connect a positive wire directly to the negative battery post as this will cause the wire to heat up and start on fire!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I agree as this sounds like a Tender pigtail, so you should find the wire with the inline fuse.
    NEVER connect a positive wire directly to the negative battery post as this will cause the wire to heat up and start on fire!
    I also agree that this sounds like a Tender pigtail.
    I would imagine that the OP would know if he has a pigtail installed.
    Nevertheless, in my humble experience, the Tender pigtails have two wires associated with them. The black wire is connected to the negative terminal of the battery and a red wire with the fuse goes to the positive terminal
    Perhaps the red wire got lost someplace during the battery exchange? It could easily have fallen behind the battery and not noticed.
    Don't Ask Me How I Know This.

Pigtail.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I also agree that this sounds like a Tender pigtail.
    I would imagine that the OP would know if he has a pigtail installed.
    Nevertheless, in my humble experience, the Tender pigtails have two wires associated with them. The black wire is connected to the negative terminal of the battery and a red wire with the fuse goes to the positive terminal
    Perhaps the red wire got lost someplace during the battery exchange? It could easily have fallen behind the battery and not noticed.
    Don't Ask Me How I Know This.

Pigtail.jpg
    The last two tender wires I purchased came with two black wires, but one has a in line fuse. That is the positive (red) side.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Any additional accessories on the bike? Phone mount with USB, additional USB ports, GPS, additional lighting, etc?

If so, the black wire may be what is powering them.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange