Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else having problems with a Sticking hazard switch?

2021 S2S. Anyone else having problems with a sticky hazard switch? My Spyder spends life in a garage and rarely sees water, but the darn hazard switch is sticking. Tried some dry lube, but problem persists. I don't want to disassemble the LH switch because the throttle spring can be a pain.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Be nice to know just what is down there, wax ,dirt, ect! But maybe hit it with some plastic safe contact cleaner and some air, or a vacuum. What happen when you put the lube to it, did it free it up for a bit?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    2021 S2S. Anyone else having problems with a sticky hazard switch? My Spyder spends life in a garage and rarely sees water, but the darn hazard switch is sticking. Tried some dry lube, but problem persists. I don't want to disassemble the LH switch because the throttle spring can be a pain.
    Of course, we all know that you meant the RH switch.Typically, a layer of schmeg can build up around the button and interfere with the hole that it's in. Happens to the Reverse Button, also. But remember that the switch is designed to get rained on. All of the vital, electronic bits are covered with that rubber membrane stuff. A little lube won't kill it.

If you really need to get inside the thing, you don't need to get anywhere near the throttle spring. Look in your shop manual for the section on Removing The Right Hand Multifunction Switch. The case around the switch splits in two. Remove the inner collar, remove the 4 screws on the back of the switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 12-28-2023 at 10:08 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

“Schmeg”, Doug??? Is that a technical term ?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

. Shmutz

I would get kicked off this site in a New York minute if I told you all what that term meant ( with an "a" at the end). It's not pleasant.

A better (and slightly cleaner) term is " shmutz" ...... A combination of dust, dirt, maybe oily grit, too.

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-28-2023 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

I would get kicked off this site in a New York minute if I told you all what that term meant ( with an "a" at the end). It's not pleasant.

A better (and slightly cleaner) term is " shmutz" ...... A combination of dust, dirt, maybe oily grit, too.

Lew L
    Passed for now because I am too lazy to try to figure what schmeg or shmutz stands for.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    . Shmutz

Lew L
    Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Passed for now because I am too lazy to try to figure what schmeg or shmutz stands for.
    Maybe not 'kicked off', but I don't think it would've taken a 'New York minute' to generate some form of response; so I just appreciated that Lew DIDN'T try to explain what the 'other' word meant, cos then we would've had no choice but to put on the Moderator hats & get all strict about Rules 4 & 11!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

You really don't want to know, just pass on it or go look it up for yourself But don't tell us what you found. Or let it pass as one of those little mysteries of life.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 12-28-2023 at 10:25 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze