Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Electric Spyder next?

It looks like BRP is serious about going electric. They are touting their new electric Lynx and Ski-Doo snowmobiles!

https://www.unchartedsociety.com/us/...m_medium=email

Do you suppose that portends an electric Spyder in the not to distant future?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

They are working on their all electric motorcycles, then the Rykers and then possibly the Spyders. At least that is what I have gathered from their marketing team.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

I can say I will not be a customer of any electric Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    What he said.................
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    What he said.................
    Why not? Usually with electric comes gobs of torque and many cool gadgets. The only downside side would be range if you do long trips. In a few years, I'd consider it...
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post
    Why not? Usually with electric comes gobs of torque and many cool gadgets. The only downside side would be range if you do long trips. In a few years, I'd consider it...
    Lot of reasons, but the main ones are that the components and material for electric vehicles do more damage to the environment than gas vehicles.

Another good reason is a lot of houses burn down during flooding from hurricanes and tropical storms in Florida, caused by electric vehicles going partially under water.

The technology is not ready to replace gas vehicles. I am not against the research and development, but they are not ready to replace gas vehicles at this time.

The grid is not up to it either.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-15-2023 at 12:17 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Bring it on!!!!!! Another option in the line-up should spawn more R&D and competition.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yea , about the range ..... I read the article and they claim ... 80 kilometers ( about 50 +/- miles ) .... back when I was into snowmobiles .... we'd go up into Maine and Canada & do 175 to 200+ miles in a day ..... I didn't read anything about weight, but I'm guessing 700 lbs minimum ..... good luck .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    It looks like BRP is serious about going electric. They are touting their new electric Lynx and Ski-Doo snowmobiles!

https://www.unchartedsociety.com/us/...m_medium=email

Do you suppose that portends an electric Spyder in the not to distant future?
    Goll-lly, it's amazing how fast time slips by! BRP/Can-Am trots this old chestnut out every couple of years or so for Spyders &/or Ski-Doos, pretty much once interest in their last round seems to be dropping &/or interest in the technology looks to be on the up...

But they've been doing the same for a looong time now, even occasionally saying "it'll be released next year" or words to that effect and then they don't deliver - AGAIN!! And IIRC, they've been doing that since before 2010... The first 'concept' Spyder I can recall seeing was an RSS, but that never eventuated, and there've been at least few more 'we're going electric' announcements since then!

So personally, I really wouldn't put any credence in whatever they publish about the imminent release of electric models until they actually have working models in the dealer's showrooms for sale; and even then, I'll probably be dubious until I can physically see, feel, and take one for a ride, cos as far as I'm concerned, BRP/Can-Am lost ALL credibility about going down the electric path many, MANY, MANY years ago!

But that's just me, innit?! YMMMV

Here's just a few of the earlier threads that mention their 'latest announcements' about going electric:

2023 - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...cycles-release
    2023 - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s-For-Everyone!
    2022 - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ew-ghost-model
    2022 - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s-grand-reveal
    2020 - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...tric-Prototype
    2017 - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Can-Am-Hybrid
    2016 - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...oncept-Vehicle
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-15-2023 at 07:36 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yea , about the range ..... I read the article and they claim ... 80 kilometers ( about 50 +/- miles ) .... back when I was into snowmobiles .... we'd go up into Maine and Canada & do 175 to 200+ miles in a day ..... I didn't read anything about weight, but I'm guessing 700 lbs minimum ..... good luck .....Mike
    That would leave the potential for a lot of people stranded on a snow covered mountain without the means to recharge the batteries
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Range and recharging time is everything. Likely 100 mile range and hours of charge time. That won't fit my riding style at all.

Spyder Garage

No electric snowmobile for me.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I can't wait to see how they install our favorite gail(Nanny) into that bike!! I am sure it will happen sooner or later, there are too many tree huggers out there to let that dog lie. I just hope they put some sort of on-board charging system in it so it will be charging as fast as I am using it!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Let's get all the bugs worked out of the fossil fuel units before we talk about an electric model. Count me out on the electric models, I want to ride not sit around waiting at a charging station.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

I'm hoping this push for everything electric goes by the way of the dodo bird. It's costly and does more damage to the earth than natural resources.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Why not? I do a lot of touring, usually 400-600 miles/day and usually take secondary or scenic routes. Electric isn't up to the task with present day technology. Charging stations will be situated along interstates first and it will be years before they appear in out of the way places. I live out west where there are sometimes no towns for miles and miles. If you just putter around town, then maybe electric is a viable option. If you are a serious rider, it's not going to work. They are shoving this technology down our throats years before we have the infrastructure to support it and the technology to make it practical.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Found this electric Spyder on Amazon
    71xU4T5bM5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

I bought my S2S to use for touring. I don't see a time in my riding years, where I'll be able to go a 150+ miles, charge up/go in the time it takes me to fuel/bathroom/stretch my legs.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Snow Trax has the interview on their site with the Skidoo Engineer and Marketing guy and these sleds were specifically built for and at the request of Ski hills where all the green people go.

Developement of new technology is good, just don't try and force it on us before it is economically viable and has to be subsidized by the taxpayers in the form of government grants.

Spyder Garage

Wow! And a range of a whooping 30 miles! Who could ask for more.

"With zero emissions and a range of up to 50 kilometers, these electric rides provide access to eco-sensitive playgrounds across North America and Scandinavia, taking your snowmobiling adventures to the next level."
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

Stalky Tracker above beat me to the punch.

The ad said a range of 50km. That's about 30 miles as ST said. For a snowmobile ??? That is a joke. Sounds like about a 15 minute to a half hour ride. Whoopee !!!

We just bought a new car. NO ELECTRIC ANYTHING FOR US. My new car has a decent 2.5L, 4 cylinder engine. The same size that was in our Subaru Outback. Being lighter than the Subaru, it definitely has more get up an go. I can go 500 plus miles on one tank of gas and currently am getting 39 mpg. I don't have to plug it in, don't have to look for chargers, etc. The only thing I have to worry about now is whether or not they are going to outlaw gasoline or make it $25.00 a gallon to penalize us anti-green movement people.

At 78, I think I have that covered also. I think I have at least two years to wait for the gas issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Lot of reasons, but the main ones are that the components and material for electric vehicles do more damage to the environment than gas vehicles.

Another good reason is a lot of houses burn down during flooding from hurricanes and tropical storms in Florida, caused by electric vehicles going partially under water.

The technology is not ready to replace gas vehicles. I am not against the research and development, but they are not ready to replace gas vehicles at this time.

The grid is not up to it either.
    What he said!!!!!!!
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

Just adding on to what has been said, I am not a fan of all electric vehicles. I am of the touring crowd, 500+ miles a day to get out of the flatlands. We can do that in about 10-12 hours pulling a trailer. Waiting every 100 miles to charge is much too limiting. Then, in the mountains and twisty hills of the fun places to ride, where 100 miles might take you hours, there will be no infrastructure to charge it up while you have a bite.......Add to that the true environmental impact, and the emergecy response issues with the batteries, no thank you.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Electric cars/vehicles are flying out the doors NOT
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So this is the headline I saw the other day "Toyota is planning a new EV with a 900-mile range and 10-minute charging time: ‘The holy grail of battery vehicles" So never say never say never. I have also seen some new tech with solar power (like a panel) that comes in a roll you roll it out hook it up and it generates power. I never thought everyone would have a phone in their pocket let alone a computer in there too so I'm not a naysayer anymore.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown