View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer to Ryde?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • I/We ryde year around, cold or rain, we just go! (No Snow or Ice)

30 21.28%
  • I/We don’t mind ryding in cold or rain if we must. But we try to avoid it

80 56.74%
  • I/We are fair weather riders. Only warm and dry conditions for us

35 24.82%
  • Will Ryde at Night

50 35.46%
  • Daylight Only for Me!

37 26.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What Kind of Rider are you?

Just curious as to how many of what kinds of rider styles we have here on Spyderlovers. Some of it has to do with location. Ryders in San Diego are more likely to have a different reference than those in Chicago, for example.

I know we are all subject to getting stuck ryding in weather or circumstances we don't like. But we also have a core preference in how we ryde. That's what I'm looking for here.

Vote for 1 of the first 3. Then vote for the Day or Night options.

Have Fun! And Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-14-2023 at 03:18 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Very difficult for me to respond. Basically, I will ride in just about any weather other than Icy roads. Two years ago left for a fall ride to hills of Arkansas and it was 27degrees when we departed. Warmed up and we had a great ride and rest of ride was more temperate. Will not ride in large groups(more than six or seven) and will not ride in organized fund raisers, toys for tots or the like. Good cause and I will support it financially but won't ride. Just too many amateurs. Not a fan of short rides, supper rides etc. Will ride long distance rides and enjoy that type of ride a lot. Two years ago my father in law and I rode to south border of Texas on one day, rode the Big Bend Park the next day and returned on the third day total of 900 miles each way and 250 +/- on the off day. Sure glad we did that because 18 months later he passed away from cancer complications.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I'll go next, I'm what most would call a fair weather rider. Ohio weather is all over the place with 4 distinct seasons that can vary in length and severity from year to year.

I will not ride in rain because of safety and cleaning the bike is a I will not ride in temps below 55F, because the windchill will exceed my riding gears ability to keep me warm. I enjoy commuting to work (30-40 minutes one way) with the occasional back roads trek on the weekend.

I'm the most docile driver you will see on the road, I do not speed but I will accelerate "briskly" from time to time at a stop light or if I need to pass. The fastest I've ridden my motorcycle is 82 MPH, and that was on accident when passing a truck on the interstate. Because of what I ride, I get urged to "race" a decent amount of times, or have little kids give me the "rev bomb" hand signal, to which I do not do.

All the above is based on riding my Kawasaki Z900. I have no riding history on my F3-S yet as it was bought just in time to garage for the winter.. What I can say is that its an entirely different feel than on two wheels, more relaxed and smooth. My intent is to try and extend my riding with the Spyder thru new gear, and easier riding experience (3 wheels vs. 2) as well as things like a windshield and heated grips. I didn't go with the F3-T or Limited, because at heart I am still a kid and the sporty design of the Spyder fits me. At least that's what my wife told me when I was teetering between the F3-S I bought and a new F3-T or Limited. Bless her heart, she was 100% right. She usually is.

Hope everyone has a great Holiday, whatever you and your family celebrate! For me it's Christmas.
    Last edited by broderp; 12-14-2023 at 03:27 PM.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Spyder Garage

We live in northern Central Florida so I’m more of a fair weather rider buy we do enjoy the cooler weather. There are so many nice days to ride that there is no reason to ride in inclement weather.

Spyder Garage

Always have the rain gear handy. This time of year the heated gear comes out. Can't say I love to use either one, but, you do what you gotta do when you gotta do it.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Ya OUT & abOUT whatever direction (preferably not into the sun) I can layer up & do things to keep warm & safer for it)
    ** nothing to cool off Enough. Rain sucks -gotta be prepared & know how to safely get through it. One time snow did look like that classic screen saver like stars flying by. Was nice. EASILY detoured for whatever else may come across along the way looks interesting or maybe picture worthy. (been there ,done that)842102C7-FD0F-41F2-93EA-1B3FB635ABBD.jpg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Unless I fit snow tires on my Spyder I am legally not allowed on the roads of Quebec from Dec 1st to Mar 15th. Same rules as for autos.

For me, dry, warm (70F+) and daylight.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Ron, if I wants to go riding, I go riding! Duz'n matta what the weather, altho there are times I just don't feel like riding in the rain, mainly cos of all the idiots on the roads who can't drive in the rain!! But if I didn't ever ride in the rain, how would my Spyder get washed??

And I certainly don't exclude riding in the snow, it can be a blast, altho I still selected the first option in your poll; but then, we don't get quite the same type &/or amount of snow and ice over here in Oz that you lot do over there in North America... That said, I do tend to try and avoid the 'ice' bits if I can, especially on 'black ice' mornings; but if I'm out & about in that sorta weather then usually there aren't quite so many other road users around, so I can generally safely travel at a speed that's appropriate for the conditions, which can often be verry slow! Plus, I have no concerns about admitting that I've been overtaken by kids on toboggans & Cross-country skiers out there while they've been just strolling along & enjoying the scenery, cos I was out there enjoying my ride; and as far as I'm concerned, it's the being OUT THERE that counts!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I started out as a gung ho, no matter what the temperature or precipitation (NO SNOW OR ICE THOUGH) rider. I once did 20 below zero in Duluth, MN in January.

We eased up a bit the last couple years due to my health. Finally sold both Spyders about three months ago. I backed off a bit on the coldest I would ride. Last cold ride it was about 35. Rain was never a problem. Always carried the rain gear in one of the saddlebags. Put it on when needed. We never let the weather get in the way of a planned ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I ride all year. Used to ride to work in anything but freezing rain. I would take off on summer vacations and visit my son in NY state, go by Laconia, then stop in to see Friends in Maine. Some years I ran up between 10,000 and 15,000 miles in a few weeks. Before I retired, I was getting 5 weeks vacation time a year, and used most of it for seeing places I had not seen before. Lot older now, still ride, but it hurts more. I don't do any over-night runs now, unless I have to. Try to keep it less than 150 or 200 miles at a time. If I do ride any of the charity rides, I hang back and ride last or very close to last, just in sight of the rest of the group, and if they won't tell me where we are ending up, I just ride for a while and then go home or go some place else and eat. Most of the people I used to ride with are pushing up daisies or in too bad shape to ride at all. I mostly take off alone once or twice a week and just ride 50 to 75 miles. Might stop off and eat at some local Mom & Pop restaurants I know about in the small towns. I use the Spyder to go to the bank, pick up small parts, or hardware in town, and other local trips that don't require the truck. Used to average 40,000 to 50,000 miles a year, but almost 74 years old now, and old injuries hurt a lot worse. Most years I might ride 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year. I work mostly for myself or work with other family members now, so I can ride when I want to. Now I try to avoid the really foggy mornings, the cold rain, and days it don't get much above 40 degrees. I also try to avoid the same type of weather in the truck too. I still have the riding gear for it, but the fun has kind of lost the enjoyment part when the arthiritis is riding with me.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

In my misspent youth we had the "Pissup, Midnight, Snowdrift, Grand Prix" one night in the middle of winter.
    Got caught in a blizzard fifty miles from home on a Yamaha XT 500. Six inches of snow on the road by time I got home.
    The first year I had my Buell, it rained so much. I thought I had bought a Sea-Do.
    Now I just do day trips on the Ryker.
    Actually, the Ryker is the closest bike to a cruiser I have ever owned and the only one with a windshield. (Honda Interceptor excluded)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-14-2023 at 07:51 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

After riding many, many years in all types of weather (mostly on 2 wheels), I have evolved into a proud, fair weather rider, unless caught in unexpected foul weather. After investing in several pieces of heated gear, I finally came to the realization that I ride for fun, and riding when cold ain't fun. Neither is riding in excessive heat or precipitation. I occasionally ride at night but try to avoid it unless it's for a special purpose. Even with all of these limitations, I have plenty of opportunities to be in my happy place!
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

I dont like riding in the rain but I will. Night riding is on my do not ride in the dark list. If caught on a ride and have to ride into the dark I will but speed goes down. Cold weather doesnt bother me so I will ride in the cold all through winter. Except if roads have been sprayed with crap to help melt snow, or snow on road. When roads get dry after snow or salt on road I will ride. No one to ride with anymore, they all quit riding motorcycles. Just me an wife on our spyders and that fine. Didnt like riding on group rides. When I did I rode at the back or as close to back as I could get. rode at my own comfort zone. I knew where they were going so I knew Id get there to same time or few minutes late, Oh well I got there an felt good, not rushed by other riders. When I need to get some place I will ride over the speed limit. Letting loose on some sweet roads once in awhile, oh yes it feels good.

Spyder Garage

As long as there is no salt on the roads in NJ I would go for a ride in the winter. I try to ride on Thanksgiving , Christmas and New Years day.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Cold is OK.
    Wet is OK.
    Cold and Wet is NOT ok.
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

I have always been an all weather rider. Temperature is not an issue. I live west of Death Valley and deal with a lot of extreme heat. When it's 115+ we ride early morning, but some times there is no escaping. Prefer riding in the winter. We ride locally in leather, on our further ventures, we both wear a Aerostitch Darian, all the time for protection. Helps to cool when it's hot, ultimate protection when it's cold, and fully waterproof. We own a lot of high tech polyester and always have gear for layering and always have a heated vest. I have ridden in snow, but not by choice. Ice is definitely avoided. I will not leave home for a day ride in rain, but when traveling, it's a non issue. I prefer not to ride at night anymore, but will when necessary. Usually in extreme heat, we will leave way before dawn. Not a great idea when you're in an area with large forest rats..... so speed is reduced
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

Rode in all sorts of weather when I was younger. Once behind a semi from Santa Fe over Raton Pass in a snowstorm. Foolish in hindsight but I got there. No heated gear. Bread bags over my military mitts. Here in MS you will get caught in the rain a lot. When I bought the Spyder in Houston I had to ride in a bonafide t*rd floater. You just press on as carefully as you can. The only thing the Spyder doesn’t like is high winds, flyovers in wind is a roller coaster!

2012 Spyder RTS
    2012 RT-S , BajaRon's plugs and wires 1" spacer Silver

Spyder Garage

I ride during the weekday, but mostly take joy rides on the weekends. I typically don't ride my bike to work because I don't like the idea of it just sitting in the parking lot for 9 hours. I typically don't ride in the rain either. It's not fun for me. Living in the northeast, riding for me will depend on the weather. This past year the wife and I got puppies so riding was far and few between. Next year we're purchasing carriers for the little guys to come along with us so we'll be doing a lot more riding.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Very difficult for me to respond. Basically, I will ride in just about any weather other than Icy roads. Two years ago left for a fall ride to hills of Arkansas and it was 27degrees when we departed. Warmed up and we had a great ride and rest of ride was more temperate. Will not ride in large groups(more than six or seven) and will not ride in organized fund raisers, toys for tots or the like. Good cause and I will support it financially but won't ride. Just too many amateurs. Not a fan of short rides, supper rides etc. Will ride long distance rides and enjoy that type of ride a lot. Two years ago my father in law and I rode to south border of Texas on one day, rode the Big Bend Park the next day and returned on the third day total of 900 miles each way and 250 +/- on the off day. Sure glad we did that because 18 months later he passed away from cancer complications.
    Well, I was going to respond with my answer, but since Bartender described it to a tee I will take advantage of his efforts. Describes us pretty well except for the father in law part. I have a connector for my heated jacket on the Spyder and on the Suzuki. Why buy heated gear or rainsuits if they're just gonna lay in a saddlebag? This is not a hobby for me, it's what I do. I don't have a car so if I need to go I need to gear up.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I live in the Phoenix area. No snow here, very little rain, and only freezes a couple of times a year. However, riding is not very pleasant when it's 110-120 degrees, so I ride less during summer. The exception being if I am touring, because almost anyplace I go will be much cooler than Phoenix. I just have to bite the bullet for the first day (400 miles or so) to get out of the heat. On my return, I spend the last night of my trip 2-3 hours from Phoenix and get an early start to get home before the heat becomes oppressive. This is prime riding season here right now.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Smile

I was working on my exhaust baffles last week so after I installed them I took the trike out on the driveway in about 4" of fresh snow and tried to burn a few U'es just for the fun of it; the nanny tried to take control and applied the brakes skidding me sideways and almost into the ditch.
    Temperature wise I can dress for the cold but with the nanny on board its a non starter.
    My last few trucks have had traction control and lane control; both of which I turn off as soon as I find out how because both are useless and detrimental on icy or muddy off road conditions.

Spyder Garage

Used to ride anytime except wet... Injuries now mandate 55deg and up... That wind chill is a b1tch!!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I/we prefer to ride in sunny warm weather. I will ride down to 40-ish. Mrs. stops at about 50-ish. On trips or day long rides, rain and cold is just part of it, but a ride for fun or commute will never start out in the rain. The dark just requires more diligence in watcuhing for critters big and small in our neck of the woods. I can remember riding the hills of West Virginia, the deer were out during daylight hours.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-15-2023 at 12:42 PM. Reason: wathcing ... ;-)
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

My mantra is, "If it ain't snowing, I'm going". I ride year-round if I can see the pavement. However, I discovered the Spyder hydroplanes way easier than my 2-wheels - even with Quatracs. Used to run at 70+ mph in the rain with the bike but last weeks rain and the light weight of the RT had me slipping above 55.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

We live in the mildest place in Canada in the winter. We ride pretty much year round. I added heated gloves last year, and this year, a heated jacket liner.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter