Spyder Garage

Red face There is an interesting Can-Am in Korea.

KakaoTalk_20231127_113553235_01.jpg

KakaoTalk_20231127_113553235_02.jpg

This is our Korea Busan Can-Am team bike. It seems like it's turning into a more interesting bike... haha

I'm also thinking of trying 16-inch wheels on my Can-Am Spyder RT.

KakaoTalk_20231127_113941248.jpg

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ah yes, the BMW trademark kidney grille.

That ex-BMW designer must've gotten a new gig at BRP, lol.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post

This is our Korea Busan Can-Am team bike. It seems like it's turning into a more interesting bike... haha

That is an interesting looking front end on that bike, but I'm not so sure about all the rest built into the tupperware behind that!! And seriously, unless you like a crap ride, worse handling, and a bunch of computer problems messing up with your riding and causing things like Limp Home mode &/or VSS errors et al to crop up at random, then I'd STRONGLY recommend that you DO NOT switch to 16" rims!!

Because of all the sensors & the VSS Suite/the Nanny, which is really one of the better Traction & Stability suites out there, these Spyders of ours really don't have a great deal of tolerance for changing the wheels on just one end to different sized wheels &/or making largeish rolling diameter variations from what the computers expect; so if you increase your front rim size to 16", then you'd need to run an even lower profile tire than OEM or you'll mess up the rolling diameter relationship between the front and the rear tires; &/or you'd also need to change the rear rim &/or tire size too, only there really isn't all that much scope to change anything much about the rims & tires back there!!

Besides, if you do mess with the front/rear rolling diameter relationship too much, then you WILL have errors and quite likely bike/ride stopping computer errors cropping up! And even if you do run lower profile tires up front on the bigger rims to avoid messing with the rolling diameter relationship front to rear & the consequent computer errors, then instead you'll screw with the ride and handling, making it a lot harsher than it already is due to the even lower profile tires and less tolerance built into the tire/suspension set-up; loading up the suspension more in areas where it barely copes already; and you'll basically be compromising your Spyder's comfort, handling, and safety all for the sake of those 16" rims!!

But it's your Spyder, and if you're into that type of pain, then you certainly can do what you will with it - I'm just pointing out the likely drawbacks!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 10:33 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Woohoo I like it! Makes a Slingshot look like an underachiever.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That is an interesting looking front end on that bike, but I'm not so sure about all the rest built into the tupperware behind that!! And seriously, unless you like a crap ride, worse handling, and a bunch of computer problems messing up with your riding and causing things like Limp Home mode &/or VSS errors et al to crop up at random, then I'd STRONGLY recommend that you DO NOT switch to 16" rims!!

Because of all the sensors & the VSS Suite/the Nanny, which is really one of the better Traction & Stability suites out there, these Spyders of ours really don't have a great deal of tolerance for changing the wheels on just one end to different sized wheels &/or making largeish rolling diameter variations from what the computers expect; so if you increase your front rim size to 16", then you'd need to run an even lower profile tire than OEM or you'll mess up the rolling diameter relationship between the front and the rear tires; &/or you'd also need to change the rear rim &/or tire size too, only there really isn't all that much scope to change anything much about the rims & tires back there!!

Besides, if you do mess with the front/rear rolling diameter relationship too much, then you WILL have errors and quite likely bike/ride stopping computer errors cropping up! And even if you do run lower profile tires up front on the bigger rims to avoid messing with the rolling diameter relationship front to rear & the consequent computer errors, then instead you'll screw with the ride and handling, making it a lot harsher than it already is due to the even lower profile tires and less tolerance built into the tire/suspension set-up; loading up the suspension more in areas where it barely copes already; and you'll basically be compromising your Spyder's comfort, handling, and safety all for the sake of those 16" rims!!

But it's your Spyder, and if you're into that type of pain, then you certainly can do what you will with it - I'm just pointing out the likely drawbacks!

Just Sayin'
    Thanks for the good point.

I'm currently trying out some interesting research. Currently, my CAN-AM RT 2020 front tires are 165/60R15 and my rear tires are 215/65R15.

With this setting, the number of rotations at the front is 550 and the number of rotations at the rear is 482, which is a difference of 68 rotations between the front and back. So far, there have been no VSS-like errors.

The 16-inch wheel tire currently ordered is 195/45R16. The rear tire was ordered as 215/60R15. In this case, the number of rotations of the front tires is 547, and the number of rotations of the rear tires is 498. The difference in number of rotations between front and back was around 49.
    This is a lower rotation number than the currently installed tires. The number of rotations of the STOCK can-am spyder tire is 556-526=30. I think it will stabilize.

In terms of weight, including the forged 16-inch wheel and hub space, the weight was the same as the original wheel.

I hope it succeeds... hahaha
    Last edited by kongdoly; 11-27-2023 at 12:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Ah yes, the BMW trademark kidney grille.

That ex-BMW designer must've gotten a new gig at BRP, lol.
    He is an interesting Korean BRP engineer.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the good point.

I'm currently trying out some interesting research. Currently, my CAN-AM RT 2020 front tires are 165/60R15 and my rear tires are 215/65R15.

With this setting, the number of rotations at the front is 550 and the number of rotations at the rear is 482, which is a difference of 68 rotations between the front and back. So far, there have been no VSS-like errors.

The 16-inch wheel tire currently ordered is 195/45R16. The rear tire was ordered as 215/60R15. In this case, the number of rotations of the front tires is 547, and the number of rotations of the rear tires is 498. The difference in number of rotations between front and back was around 49.
    This is a lower rotation number than the currently installed tires. The number of rotations of the STOCK can-am spyder tire is 556-526=30. I think it will stabilize.

In terms of weight, including the forged 16-inch wheel and hub space, the weight was the same as the original wheel.

I hope it succeeds... hahaha
    Yes, the rotations may be different, but because of tire size limitations there are no combinations of sizes that will upset the NANNY ..... About the 16" wheels I agree with Peter 110%, IMHO the size of the tires can make a HUGE difference in the ride comfort .... tires are part of the suspension system ....and the lower the ASPECT ratio THE HARSHER THE RIDE .... If your Spyder was used for RACING purposes only, absolute performance would be the goal .... also, IMHO there are no shock/spring ratio's that will make those tires comfortable .... good luck ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-27-2023 at 04:49 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have 16 inch front wheels and I love them. They ride great, handle great, and have no VSS issues.
    IMG_20230610_112254899.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 11-27-2023 at 06:12 AM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I have 16 inch front wheels and I love them. They ride great, handle great, and have no VSS issues.
    Yeah, you CAN do it, but you either need to run a lower profile 16" tire up front to keep the ratio of front to rear rolling dia/revs per mile fairly close to the OEM front to rear relationship; or you'll need to change the rim &/or tire size/aspect ratio on the rear to do the same (and there's just not a great deal of room to vary anything too much back there ) cos if you don't do something to keep the ratio/relationship within the Nanny's acceptable bounds, then VSS &/or Limp home issues WILL occur!

So apart from all the hub & track width etc concerns, you can't just stick any 16" rim/tire combo up front; you will be restricted to running something that's either pretty low profile &/or very likely fairly narrow too, which might be doable, but isn't necessarily all that good for traction, ride, & handling; even if you are prepared to accept or ignore the changes/compromises that will come with running significantly different sized rims & tires.

Plus, the lower the profile &/or the greater the change in size/width/rolling diameter/revs per mile you make by choosing different rims &/or tires on either end, the more you risk compromising the traction, ride, and handling of your Spyder as well as the longevity and compliance of your suspension, cos as has been mentioned earlier, the tires are an integral part of the suspension and how that works/how long it lasts; as well as being a major contributor to the comfort, ride, and handling of your bike! You can't escape any of that, and while it's your choice as to what tires you put on your bike etc. the bigger the change you make, the bigger the compromise and the bigger the risks you face!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-27-2023 at 01:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Joel could you tell us what tires that you are using?

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have 16 inch PPA wheels. Not sure they are available anymore. The tires are Achilles ATR-K 165/50-R16. Absolutely no issues. I have 4 different sets of wheels for my RT and run the 16's because I like the ride and handling the best.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

KakaoTalk_20231127_113553235_01.jpg

KakaoTalk_20231127_113553235_02.jpg

KakaoTalk_20231127_113941248.jpg
    Where's the turbo, and happy button for nitro?
    2012 RTL , Pearl