Spyder Garage

Default Upshifting issues as the weather gets colder

I live in Central Canada and as the weather has started getting colder the upshifting on the paddle shifter has gotten more finicky. Seems when the engine is cold I cannot get it to neutral or first at all. Reverse always works. Currently the outside temperature here is just above freezing when I take it out.
    It does get a bit better when I start riding and shifting.
    Am I expecting to much from this machine? Is there a certain operating temperature?
    2023 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum & posting Ico...

Since this is the RT section, I'm guessing that you've got an RT.... but what year??

Check this thread out - it'll help others to help you - a lot!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-your-Sig-Line!

That said, if, as I suspect, yours is a later model Spyder, ie. 2020+, then they have been known to have issues with that entire Left Hand Control Module, sometimes presenting in the way you describe; and there's a fair few threads talking about this sorta thing if you do a bit of searching and reading. Hopefully, you've still got some warranty to look after it! Good Luck!

Ps: You're not expecting too much; and there's no specific operating temperature range that will cause that sort of issue on your Spyder, so it's almost certainly an issue/defect of some sort, most likely the one that's caused this same problem on many other Spyders in recent years.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 01:18 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

And would like to add, or ask, are you only making short rides from one place to another? What I am getting at is that in cold weather I would treat it like a snowmobile and make sure you let it warm up before you go blasting it down the road. That same oil that's in your cold engines is in that cold transmission and needs to warm up also. how many miles on your oil?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If you are using the BRP blended oil, I'd say start there. Switch to a full synthetic and things should improve.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Sorry I just joined the forum I guess I didn't add my ride info

I have a 2023 RT limited just traded up from a 2019 ryker in July.

By the looks of the weather forecast I'm done riding up here for the season. Will get the dealer to look at this when I do my first oil change. Thank for the info.
    2023 RT , Black