Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

After reading all this, I can't help but believe that the front sprocket is on backwards.
    If I remember right, the part number should be facing out.....

Damn, Late to the party again.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SkipH View Post
    After reading all this, I can't help but believe that the front sprocket is on backwards.
    If I remember right, the part number should be facing out.....

Damn, Late to the party again.
    Newsflash!!! Angry man spotted heading to dealership with rough end of pineapple.

42fbe5b9cd2830a4310b822a1727e450.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-05-2024 at 09:49 PM.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Hopefully I can get back out to the F3 tomorrow.
    Its been a busy time with other stuff.

Cheers for the tips.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

This could be a silly question but is this the second recall on the sprocket. Presumably mine was done last year but I received a recall notice from BRP just recently. I can't remember whether I had mine done before I received a first letter but now I have this first or second letter. The dealer who did it didn't give me any invoice or asked me to sign anything. So I am wondering whether BRP's system was not updated by the dealer or, worse, if the dealer did any work at all. Obviously I should contact BRP with my VIN and I will.

Any comments?

Thanks

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    This could be a silly question but is this the second recall on the sprocket. Presumably mine was done last year but I received a recall notice from BRP just recently. I can't remember whether I had mine done before I received a first letter but now I have this first or second letter. The dealer who did it didn't give me any invoice or asked me to sign anything. So I am wondering whether BRP's system was not updated by the dealer or, worse, if the dealer did any work at all. Obviously I should contact BRP with my VIN and I will.

Any comments?

Thanks

J
    I'm pretty sure there was only ONE actual 'Recall' but there were a few things going on around the same time that from what you tell us above, might mean you haven't yet had the Recall fully completed.

Shortly before the Recall, there was also a 'Sprocket Fix' (AFAIK, NOT a 'Recall' ) that was made available by BRP, basically, intended only for those owners who complained (altho some dealers took it upon themselves (or misunderstood... ) to offer/do it to other Spyders/for other owners) that was originally intended to fix the 'whistling/wind noise' that some owners experienced/complained of - this 'Fix' involved replacing the original Black Sprocket with a White Ceramic Coated sprocket that supposedly reduced the whistling/wind noise, altho some (quite a few, in fact!) of those complaining of the noise felt that at best, the White Sprocket only (slightly??) reduced the noise! Regardless, if your Spyder has a front Sprocket that is White and your Spyder is one of those identified as being part of the real 'Sprocket Recall', then your Spyder HAS NOT had the real Recall done - at least, not fully... so read on!

Then there's the 'Real Recall', the 'Loose sprocket on Output Shaft' Recall that involved a Two Stage process to ensure that all those Spyders identified by BRP as having Sprockets that could potentially fail/wear their splines and so lose their grip on the transmission output shaft & eventually lose all drive - only due to supply issues and the direction to get something done regardless, resulted in BRP issuing a Two Stage process to properly resolve the issue!

The First Stage of this 'Real Recall' was to check/inspect your OEM sprocket and fit an 'Interim Fix' sprocket if necessary & a sprocket was available - effectively just replacing your 'already potentially failing' sprocket with another sprocket with the same potential for failure, but it bought BRP more time to get stocks of the Final Fix sprockets... The Interim Fix Sprockets could be either the original Black Sprocket, or, due to the previously mentioned supply issues, could involve fitting the White Sprocket intended for the whistling/wind noise fix if it was the only one available at the time! However, regardless of which colour sprocket your Spyder got or what the owner/dealer thought, that 'Interim Check & Replace if Necessary' Step WAS NOT THE END OF THE RECALL FIX!

The Final Fix or Stage Two of the Recall was to replace your original sprocket OR the sprocket fitted during the Interim Fix with a Silver Sprocket and Washer Kit and to Locktite the sprocket onto the shaft. Quite a few people who THOUGHT that since they'd taken their Spyders in to a dealer who checked their sprocket & said 'You're good to go', then they were fine & the Recall was done/complete were instead either mislead or confused (or both!) - even some who had an Interim Fix replacement Sprocket fitted (certainly if that sprocket was Black or White) were also either misled or confused! But the nitty gritty of it all is that if your Spyder does not have that SILVER Recall Sprocket & Washer Kit fitted and your Spyder is one of those identified as being part of the Recall, THEN YOU NEED TO GET THE SILVER SPROCKET RECALL KIT FITTED! Preferably before the Recall is closed.

All Clear now?! Is your Spyder one of the Spyders identified in the Recall and if so, does it have a Silver Sprocket & Washer fitted??

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-06-2024 at 07:55 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm pretty sure there was only ONE actual 'Recall' but there were a few things going on around the same time that from what you tell us above, might mean you haven't yet had the Recall fully completed.

Shortly before the Recall, there was also a 'Sprocket Fix' (AFAIK, NOT a 'Recall' ) that was made available by BRP, basically, intended only for those owners who complained (altho some dealers took it upon themselves (or misunderstood... ) to offer/do it to other Spyders/for other owners) that was originally intended to fix the 'whistling/wind noise' that some owners experienced/complained of - this 'Fix' involved replacing the original Black Sprocket with a White Ceramic Coated sprocket that supposedly reduced the whistling/wind noise, altho some (quite a few, in fact!) of those complaining of the noise felt that at best, the White Sprocket only (slightly??) reduced the noise! Regardless, if your Spyder has a front Sprocket that is White and your Spyder is one of those identified as being part of the real 'Sprocket Recall', then your Spyder HAS NOT had the real Recall done - at least, not fully... so read on!

Then there's the 'Real Recall', the 'Loose sprocket on Output Shaft' Recall that involved a Two Stage process to ensure that all those Spyders identified by BRP as having Sprockets that could potentially fail/wear their splines and so lose their grip on the transmission output shaft & eventually lose all drive - only due to supply issues and the direction to get something done regardless, resulted in BRP issuing a Two Stage process to properly resolve the issue!

The First Stage of this 'Real Recall' was to check/inspect your OEM sprocket and fit an 'Interim Fix' sprocket if necessary & a sprocket was available - effectively just replacing your 'already potentially failing' sprocket with another sprocket with the same potential for failure, but it bought BRP more time to get stocks of the Final Fix sprockets... The Interim Fix Sprockets could be either the original Black Sprocket, or, due to the previously mentioned supply issues, could involve fitting the White Sprocket intended for the whistling/wind noise fix if it was the only one available at the time! However, regardless of which colour sprocket your Spyder got or what the owner/dealer thought, that 'Interim Check & Replace if Necessary' Step WAS NOT THE END OF THE RECALL FIX!

The Final Fix or Stage Two of the Recall was to replace your original sprocket OR the sprocket fitted during the Interim Fix with a Silver Sprocket and Washer Kit and to Locktite the sprocket onto the shaft. Quite a few people who THOUGHT that since they'd taken their Spyders in to a dealer who checked their sprocket & said 'You're good to go', then they were fine & the Recall was done/complete were instead either mislead or confused (or both!) - even some who had an Interim Fix replacement Sprocket fitted (certainly if that sprocket was Black or White) were also either misled or confused! But the nitty gritty of it all is that if your Spyder does not have that SILVER Recall Sprocket & Washer Kit fitted and your Spyder is one of those identified as being part of the Recall, THEN YOU NEED TO GET THE SILVER SPROCKET RECALL KIT FITTED! Preferably before the Recall is closed.

All Clear now?! Is your Spyder one of the Spyders identified in the Recall and if so, does it have a Silver Sprocket & Washer fitted??

Over to you!
    Wow. What a detailed response. Thank you so much. It does sound exactly like this is what happened. I will check all that. Unfortunately, my Spyder is stored for winter so that will be a task for Spring, probably April or May. Cheers mate!
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Wow. What a detailed response. Thank you so much. It does sound exactly like this is what happened. I will check all that. Unfortunately, my Spyder is stored for winter so that will be a task for Spring, probably April or May. Cheers mate!
    DETAILED ??? Pfffffft, jbim. That is of one of Peter’s briefest ever replies

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 01-07-2024 at 06:33 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red