Spyder Garage

Question Anyone used CanDoo Pro? Any good for a home mechanic?

My local Can Am Spyder dealer refuses to do anything on Spyders more than 10 years old. This is the same dealer that sold me my 2008 Spyder less than 5 years ago. Apparently, there is no Can Am dealer in Kentucky who WILL work on them.

I am considering purchasing the "CanDoo Pro" BUDS system. I am wondering if anyone has used it, and if it's a good program for a home mechanic?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-22-2023 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Where are you in Kentucky?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Are you talking about this thing here?

https://candoopro.com/index.php?main...products_id=68

There’s no indication on the product page that it works on Spyders. I’m not even sure that I would call it a BUDS system, but I guess that’s a question of semantics. There was someone on here a couple weeks back that couldn’t even get the thing to reset codes on a Spyder. If you think that you REALLY need BUDS - and that’s up to you - I would stick with what works. Give yourself a Christmas present.

https://www.powersports-diag.com/en/...erface_unit-no
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 11-22-2023 at 03:26 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I couldn't find a Spyder listed in the list of vehicles that this product will accommodate.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I am pretty sure that the only thing that will work on a Spyder or Ryker is the authorized BRP BUDS system. It is my understanding that for an aftermarket tool to work, they would have to purchase a license from BRP to produce it. And that isn't happening. BRP went to a lot of trouble to make theirs a proprietary system.

Spyder Garage

The "10 year rule" is unfortunately becoming more common for all vehicles, not just motorcycles, over 10 years old. A big driving force behind this is that the the Feds require that manufacturers only have to make OEM parts available for a period of ten years from date of manufacture. Then the other factor is that repair shops just don't want to service these vehicles period, even with aftermarket parts available, possibly due to the fact that shops don't want to warranty aftermarket parts that they supply for repairs, i.e. a starter, power steering pump, etc. This situation sucks, as folks are not buying new vehicles every 4 or so years, instead keeping them for many more years. Prior to buying a new car in 2019, we kept 2 cars for 13 & 14 years respectively. I thank my lucky stars that we got the new one before interest rates skyrocketed, otherwise we would still be driving the old ones.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I haven't bought a new vehicle since 1973, except for my 2008 RSTD and I saved 10 years to buy it. There are lots of 10+ year old vehicles still in good shape and many of them with low (relatively speaking) mileage. Dealers are making a big mistake, but I think it will spur the creation of more independent shops.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This whole service issue including the 10 year thing is exactly why I sold my Spyder one week after the extended warranty expired and moved on to a Goldwing trike. Even though the Wing is older, there are lots of dealers and independents' who can and will service and work on them. When I owned my Spyder I could not find ANY local shop, except the BRP dealership who would even touch the bike. And my local dealers were not service friendly, to say the least..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    This whole service issue including the 10 year thing is exactly why I sold my Spyder one week after the extended warranty expired and moved on to a Goldwing trike. Even though the Wing is older, there are lots of dealers and independents' who can and will service and work on them. When I owned my Spyder I could not find ANY local shop, except the BRP dealership who would even touch the bike. And my local dealers were not service friendly, to say the least..... Jim
    The Spyder's eternal Achilles Heel... Dealerships.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I couldn't find a Spyder listed in the list of vehicles that this product will accommodate.
    I do not see the Spyder listed in the list of vehicles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Where are you in Kentucky?
    Bowling Green, KY

The Spyder GS is listed as one of the vehicles that Can Do Pro works on.
    Last edited by TheOldMedic; 11-26-2023 at 02:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just get buds2.