Spyder Garage

Default Are the front shocks on a 2011 RT the same as on a 2015?

Hello guys, I have a friend with a 2011 RT. They want to upgrade their front shocks. A few weeks ago, I replaced the front springs on my stock shocks, and I could not be more pleased. My question is on the 11 RT - I am trying to find out if the shocks are the same as on a 2015 RT? THANK YOU.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 02:51 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    Hello guys i have a friend with a 2011 RT . They want to upgrade there front shocks. So a few weeks ago i replaced my front springs on my stock shocks and i could not be more pleased. my question is on the 11 RT i am trying to find out are the shocks the same as a 2015 RT...THANK YOU
    Could you give more info on those springs .... did you increase their weight capacity and or strength ..... also where did you get them / price etc. ......Thanks ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Hello guys, I have a friend with a 2011 RT. They want to upgrade their front shocks. A few weeks ago, I replaced the front springs on my stock shocks, and I could not be more pleased. My question is on the 11 RT - I am trying to find out if the shocks are the same as on a 2015 RT? THANK YOU.
    They are not the same. I wouldn't waste my time or money on springs for 2011 OEM shocks. If they want more stiffness, they can be adjusted.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 02:52 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Could you give more info on those springs .... did you increase their weight capacity and or strength ..... also where did you get them / price etc. ......Thanks ...Mike
    The springs are from a HR. Martin has them on his site. The person just wanted better handling. As you know, the stock shock and springs are very weak, so from all the research that Martin and few other guys have gathered, the front springs are mostly the cause of that side-to-side floaty feeling. Once the new springs were installed with a sway bar, that side-to-side sway has totally disappeared; the cornering is so much better; and the amount of effort to hold your line in corners has decreased. Price if I remember, was $460.00
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 02:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    They are not the same. I wouldn't waste my time or money on springs for 2011 OEM shocks. If they want more stiffness, they can be adjusted.
    I'll have them check the bike. Regardless of year, if someone wants to upgrade their bike and they're happy with it, then who are we to say it's not worth it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 02:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

I think what Ron is saying is that 2011 shocks “are” adjustable. It’s built into them, simply tighten the cup/thread to increase the load weight/spring tension to make them stiffer. Later years like the '15, they were “not” adjustable. Early years were, but it depended on the models.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2023 at 02:57 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I know Ron is correct, Asking these questions was to confirm what was said earlier . guys thank you.

Spyder Garage

I'll have them check the bike. Regardless of year, if someone wants to upgrade their bike and they're happy with it, then who are we to say it's not worth it?
    The early OEM shocks had very poor everything. Hydraulics included. You can put red lips on a pig... But you're probably not going to be happy with the results. If you're looking for Bang for the Buck. A good set of RT takeoff OEM shocks from later years (up through 2019). Probably cost you less than new springs for your current shocks, and do you much better.

I agree that if the customer is happy, then all is good. But sometimes they are happy because they don't know what they could have had. And sometimes they spend money and are not happy. My opinion is (which is always worth what it cost you) this has the potential of being one of those times.

I think one of the beauties of this forum is that it can help riders get what works best, the first time. Instead of ending up with a shelf full of mistakes.

Spyder Garage

Hi Ron thank you

Spyder Garage

Hi Ron thank you
    You are very welcome. But always remember. My opinion is just one of many. Do your research, consider what is said and make an informed decision. It's your ride, do what you think best. Everyone here has the best intentions. But it's the end result that makes all the difference.

Have a Great Thanksgiving everyone!