Spyder Garage

Default Loose steering - what needs to come off to access the upper joint?

I have a 2015 F3S with 50,000 miles. I have some looseness in the steering that seems to be from upper steering shaft joint. I have checked tie rods, pitman arm, and lower joint, and all are tight. Does anyone know what has to come off to get to upper joint?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-09-2023 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1989hawk View Post
    I have a 2015 F3S with 50,000 miles. I have some looseness in steering that seems to be from upper steering shaft joint. I have checked tie rods,pitman arm and lower joint and all are tight. Does anyone know what has to come off to get to upper joint?
    I have a 14 RT my handlebars move approx. 1/2 in. ....I think this is normal ....it was Never tight .....JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have had that happen on my last 2013 RT and on the 2014 RT that I have now. Luckily on the 2014, it was the pinch bolt on the joint at the DPS that needed tightening. Could get to it with extension on the socket from both sides. The upper on the 2013 required removing the plastic for the upper console and is a bit of a job to get to. Same thing , the pinch bolt needed to be tightened.
    2014 RT SE6