Spyder Garage

Default Setting the front tire pressures equally each side.

I use the following Amazon purchased product to set tire pressures:

AVID POWER Tire Inflator Portable Air Compressor, 12V DC / 120V AC Car Tire Pump, Air Mattress Pump with Inflation and Deflation Modes, Dual Powerful Motors, Digital Pressure Gauge

You dial in the tire pressure you want, press start and it inflates to the desired pressure and stops. Makes it easy to set both tires to the same pressure. I run 20 psi in the front Kendas.

I measured it against a calibrated gauge and it was less than 1/2 psi out. The connection hose has one of the better valve connections I've used and the whole unit seems pretty rugged, certainly for Spyder kind of pressures.

This one is 110 VAC powered as well which makes it easy to use in the garage, includes a battery backup for USB power storage in case the power goes out, you can't have too many of those battery backups.

So far so good, its lasted the season and seems to be still working fine. For the price it makes setting pressures on the Spyder really simple. A bit bulky to carry on the bike though.

It beats trying to get the fronts really balanced by hand with a pump and a gauge.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Or make your own Dual Fill airhose system like JT's Spyderstore used to sell. Maso EMS2 did this years ago.
    Here's his thread on spyder lovers https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...dual-fill-quot
    We've made a few since JT quit selling them online.
    Makes it really easy to balance the front tire pressure.

Maso's dual fill 012.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-02-2024 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL per policy to minimise spam/scam opportunities...
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Now that's clever.

BTW, I used the air compressor I quoted in the original thread to pump up an SUV tire to 40 psi and it worked fine. Took a few minutes but it worked OK, no problems. It was less than 0.5 psi out at that pressure from my graduated gauge.

I like the T-piece dual air-hose system though. I never thought about that idea. That's clever that is.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Or make your own Dual Fill airhose system like JT's Spyderstore used to sell. Maso EMS2 did this years ago.
    Here's his thread on spyder lovers https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...dual-fill-quot
    We've made a few since JT quit selling them online.
    Makes it really easy to balance the front tire pressure.

Maso's dual fill 012.jpg
    this is the only way the PSI in each tire will be EXACTLY the same ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-02-2024 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

One thing to remember when using a balancing rig like this is pressure equalization between tires is not instantaneous. It takes more than a few seconds due to the typical small pressure differences between the 2 or 3 or 4 tires and the small size of the tubing connecting them. Also, the longer the tubing, the longer it takes.

On the Spyder I use 3 leads at once and go for 18 PSI all around.

On my Mazda Miata I use 4 and go for 29 PSI all around. I typically go do something else for a couple minutes to allow plenty of time.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’ve battled this tire pressure setting (TPS) thing for almost 10 years now and have finally come to one conclusion. You are never going to win. TP's are always changing and you can’t stop it, you can only control it to a small degree. If you are anal about your TP's like I am you’ll have to accept that. Whatever TP's you run at, and no one agrees on what that should be, outside ambient influences will always override your favorite settings. For example (only) I run 18 psi all the way around, and I used to use a three-way octopus to set them at 18 psi. Well, I found out that’s pretty much a waste of time. Now, I start with the rear tire because I only want to get up and down once. I will fill it to 20 psi and use a small digital air gauge to bleed it down to 18 psi. Then I do the same with the front tires to make them all match, and I am good to go. I’ll always keep monitoring my psi with my FOBOs which don’t always agree with my digital gauge. But I know just how much they differ. During a 100+ mile ride, my psi’s will change as much as 4 psi or more depending on which way I'm going, the time of day it is, and what elevation I'm riding at. But the thing is, as some will say, "Ride more worry less".
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-03-2024 at 09:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Tire pressure no matter how it’s measured by digital gauge or TPMS will seldom match. If you are within a couple of tenths of 1PSI you are good to go. Tire pressure equalization is stretching it. This is a motorcycle and not a Space Shuttle.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I’ve battled this tire pressure setting (TPS) thing for almost 10 years now and have finally come to one conclusion. You are never going to win. TP's are always changing and you can’t stop it, you can only control it to a small degree. If you are anal about your TP's like I am you’ll have to accept that. Whatever TP's you run at, and no one agrees on what that should be, outside ambient influences will always override your favorite settings. For example (only) I run 18 psi all the way around, and I used to use a three-way octopus to set them at 18 psi. Well, I found out that’s pretty much a waste of time. Now, I start with the rear tire because I only want to get up and down once. I will fill it to 20 psi and use a small digital air gauge to bleed it down to 18 psi. Then I do the same with the front tires to make them all match, and I am good to go. I’ll always keep monitoring my psi with my FOBOs which don’t always agree with my digital gauge. But I know just how much they differ. During a 100+ mile ride, my psi’s will change as much as 4 psi or more depending on which way I'm going, the time of day it is, and what elevation I'm riding at. But the thing is, as some will say, "Ride more worry less".
    THAT's ^ EXACTLY what you want to see after an hour's ride! An increase of 4psi means your tires have heated up enough to bring them to operating temperature, but not so much that they're over-heating and at an increased risk of failure; or so little that they are at an increased risk of failure!!

If they DON'T go up by (about, or close too... ) 4psi, then your tires are OVER-inflated for your load/your current riding style &/or the conditions etc. and you have reduced traction, a harsher ride, less suspension compliance, a greater risk of punctures if you run over any road debris &/or potholes, excessive tread wear in the centre of the tread, yada, yada, yada! And if they go up by any more than (about, or close to... ) 4psi, then your tires are UNDER-inflated for your load/your current riding speed/style &/or the conditions etc. and you are risking catastrophic tire failure due to over-heating, excessive tread wear on the sides of the tread, poor handling, breaking the bead during hard cornering, yada, yada, yada! And if you get NO pressure change after riding for about an hour or so (and this goes for your car &/or your trailer tires too!) your tires are GROSSLY Over-inflated and apart from the significant loss of traction and the very harsh ride you'll be subjecting yourself to, you are also likely to be pounding the crap out of your vehicle, excessively damaging the road surface itself, and I'm surprised you've got any fillings left!

But riding for about an hour & finding your tire pressures are increasing their pressure by 4psi (+/- no more than about 1 psi on most reasonable quality but not necessarily perfectly exactly accurate tire gauges ) from your cold start pressures is pretty much spot on for the vast majority of pneumatic radial tire users!

Sure, changing ambient temperatures, the load on your bike, the surface you're riding on, the speed you're riding at, how hard you're pushing it etc. etc. are all things likely to change the temperature increase of your tires and the air in them, so therefore the change of pressure, but if you're getting ABOUT a 4 psi increase (+/- as above) after an hour's ride (or however long your ride is over 30 or so minutes ) then you are running tire pressures that are close enough to 'right' for some one riding a Spyder with all if it's inherent 'features' and capability - cos as someone mentioned (Thanks Woodenfish! ) your Spyder is a motorcycle and not a Space Shuttle... And it's not a race bike or ultra high performance machine either!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-04-2024 at 07:08 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    Tire pressure no matter how it’s measured by digital gauge or TPMS will seldom match. If you are within a couple of tenths of 1PSI you are good to go. Tire pressure equalization is stretching it. This is a motorcycle and not a Space Shuttle.
    If you are within a couple of tenths of 1PSI you are pretty much golden.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

As Peter mentioned as you ride Tires heat up, so it is best to check them when they are cold.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    ICSI Ride Hand Brake Kit as my right leg and foot does not work that well due to MS
    The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    SHAD 58X in Carbon finish - Expandable TOP Case
    Pedal Box
    IPS Belt Tensioner and Handlebar Riser from Lamonster
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    Floating Rotors with EBC Brakes for the front
    I am now broke

I Should mention the Boss has a 900 Ryker Ralli next to my bike
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's well and good to try to be precise. However, if one tire is setting in the sun, guaranteed they will not be at the same pressure as soon as you turn it in the shady side. I'll wager that there isn't a rider on this forum that can tell the difference in 5% in differential pressure. Corollary: if you can, then riding East, switching direction to West, or vice versa, on a sunny day would drive you insane.

Ride more, worry less.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap