Spyder Garage

Default My '21 RT Battery Tender Permanent Tail Installation.

OK, so it was time to install my battery tender's permanent charging connector tail for the winter. Last year I used the clamp tail, but this year I was going to do a neater job as per my motorcycles.

I use this tender I bought off Amazon:

Battery Tender 022-0209-BT-WH Selectable Charger is an AGM/Standard or Gel/Lithium Iron, 12v or 6v Switchable at 4a, Includes Rings & Clips.

I use these on all my motorcycles with the direct battery attachment tails installed, the ones where the rings install directly on the battery. Easy to just connect and disconnect the tender in a few seconds. They have an inline fuse, so they are safe to use.

So, on my 2021 RT LTD, I got behind the frunk lining by unzipping it. By undoing the two Torx head screws at the top I removed the battery cover. Next, I undid the battery leads one at a time and fitted the rings from the tail and tightened the leads back up.

Feeling really pleased with myself. I put the cover back and put one of the Torx bolts back on with the tail poking out the side of the cover. All good so far.

Now the disaster, in picking up the second Torx bolt, I dropped it. Down between the frunk surround and the bodywork under the lighting bar it went.

Looking in from the sides and the top I could just see it, perched precariously on the framework, way down in the front of the engine. So, a two-minute job took much longer. Off came the service Tupperware cover on the left-hand side. Not enough, I had to take off the main bodywork panel. I got all three push pins off and all the three Torx bolts out. Did the cover want to pop out then? Oh heck no. After thirty minutes of trying and attempting not to break any clips, it finally popped out and I could slide it forwards and off.

Could I reach the stupid bolt. Oh no! If I tried to pick it out, I knew it was going to fall down and then I'd have to take the underside panels off. I finally managed to retrieve it with some long nose pliers, sticky duct tape, and a lot of cursing.

Finally, got the Tupperware back on after much wiggling to get the bottom clip in then getting the top clips in place. Got the push pins back in no problem. Who for the love of all that is holy designed this stuff?

Oh no, two of the Torx bolts were shorter and one was longer, didn't notice that when I took them off. Another ten minutes messing about to get the right bolts in the right holes and then I got the service panel back on.

So, a simple idiot proof task took over an hour and a half of my arthritic old body crawling around on the garage floor.

Went for a two-hour ride round Utah Lake and back up to home. Some days.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2023 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Changed Prefix - not 1330 engine specific; & expanded title to briefly state the reason for the thread... ;-)
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I have to be very careful when working on my Spyder. Nuts and bolts have a tendency to disappear into the nether regions. Rags and shop towels spread around the parts of the Spyder I am working on help.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I normally am, but I thought, oh, 5 minute job. I didn't even see the gap at the back of the frunk there. The chances of anything going in that narrow gap has to be a thousand to one. So, of course that's where it went.

I am usually extremely cautious about such things, especially on machines with Tupperware on them. I was just being lazy and didn't have the bright lights on in the garage as it was daylight and the garage door was open.

Well, at least I learned how to take the covers off without breaking the clips. You have to be really careful, it requires a fair degree of pressure, more than you would think yet not so much as to break things off. It certainly makes a scary sound as the covers finally unseat.

I'm going to be a lot more careful when I replace the gas strut for the front seat next week.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

With me, it's common to have some bolt, nut or screw fall while trying to put something back together. I bought a magnetic telescoping retrieval tool and I'm usually able to retrieve the item.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    With me, it's common to have some bolt, nut or screw fall while trying to put something back together. I bought a magnetic telescoping retrieval tool and I'm usually able to retrieve the item.
    As I was reading the original post I wondered if somehow one could attach a small magnet to a piece of fishing line and lower it in to hopefully catch the bolt... thinking this might be skinny and flexible enough to wiggle around in the 'nether land to try and catch the rascal.. hhmm... might have to see what I can come up with..
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I think that this should have been labeled "How Not To".
    Sorry that you had such a bad time with this easy task.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Absolutely. You would think after all these years I would learn, but no.

I even tried to do the magnetic stick trick, but of course I couldn't find the stupid thing as I probably used it years ago and cannot remember where I last put it.

I hate getting old.

I take it the BSA in the UK and Germany was from your service days? Thanks for your service regardless.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Yep the BSA was during my first tour in Germany. Friends had BMW and Vincent Black Shadow.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

I simply run the two pin plug backwards and left then though the grid in front of the left foot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I simply run the two pin plug backwards and left then though the grid in front of the left foot.
    Both of my 2018s are that way with a longer lead so the business end when not in use can be tucked back through another place in the grill.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.