Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RSS with belt noise - will adjusting the back adjust the belt front pulley too?

I just picked up a 2010 spyder RSS. I noticed a belt noise. When I looked I saw this (see pics). My question is, will adjusting the belt in the back move the belt on the front pulley back in place as well?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-02-2023 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Yes, moving the adjusters will change location of the belt at both pulleys. However, it appears you are already hard against the inner flange of the rear pulley. You don't have anywhere left to go as the front needs the belt to move to the right. It appears you are already to far right on the rear. And too far left at the front. Did you take these pictures after going forward or in reverse?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

That front pulley is fitted incorrectly. The flange should be on the outside.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    I just picked up a 2010 spyder RSS. I noticed a belt noise. When I looked I saw this (see pics). My question is, will adjusting the belt in the back move the belt on the front pulley back in place as well?
    When adjust the belt position ( at the rear ) it will change the front also however it will a very small amount at the front .... Look in your owners manual on how it's done and ONLY turn adjuster bolt 1/8 turn at a time ..... this amount will move the belt to where you need it .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

It was ridden about 100 yards forward. That's it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    That front pulley is fitted incorrectly. The flange should be on the outside.
    That's odd. My other spyder came with the pulley on it the same way as well. Very possible though.

Spyder Garage

See item 2 below. Flange is on outside - opposite side to rear pulley, for obvious reasons.

https://www.ktmhobart.com.au/partFin...stem-rear#next
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Myself, I don't think I would worry about that front pulley, I would worry about getting the belt riding right on the rear. If that belt is riding hard on the flange on that rear pulley it will almost make a squealing noise, you got to make that right, if that pulley on the front was turned around, I would hope there's an offset on the pulley to offset the pulley out so it would not be the one squealing then. You got me scratching my head now, I am going to go out and look at mine to see which way mine is turned and check the offset on the pulley. The previous owner may have got all shook up with all of the talk on here about bad pulleys and thought he should take his off and clean and glue his on and put it back on backwards. Good Luck!!
    P.S Check your tension on that belt!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You're not going to be able to fix your issue by adjusting the system the way it is. The belt appears to be too far right and riding the inside flange of the rear pulley. You need to have at least a credit card width between the belt and that flange. Which means you need to move the belt left. But it's already too far left on the front pulley.

Freddy made an excellent observation about the front pulley. Your problem starts at there. I'm a bit embarrassed that I did not catch this myself. Getting old, I suppose.

They say 'A Picture is worth 1,000 words'.

Pulley Front 1.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-03-2023 at 08:46 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

So the pulley was shot. I ordered by part number and apparently got an upgraded pulley. It has flanges on both sides. It also came with a spacer. Does the spacer go inside the pulley between it and the engine or outside between the washer and the pulley?
    Also, the part # side on the pulley goes out I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-13-2023 at 08:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Spacer should be on inside. Part # of pulley is outside so you can see #
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Thank you!!!!!