Spyder Garage

Default Does the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor need all these shims?

This is my first time going on this site so excuse me if I'm doing it wrong, but I have a question. I have a 2012 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5. I took off my rear wheel and noticed that my rear speed sensor has several shims. Are those all supposed to be there, or should it just be one? There seems to be seven shims plus a thicker one. If anybody knows, can you please help me and let me know. My rear speed sensor is not working at all. Thank you folks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-25-2023 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question after move to own thread... ;-).. ;-)

Spyder Garage

Yes they are all supposed to be there. Different individual Spyders have different shim counts. Keep track and put them back as you found them.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Your tool kit contains feeler gauges to measure the distance between the speed sensor and the ring gear. I guess you add/remove shims so the appropriate feeler just fits. I have never found the need to change mine from factory amount fitted.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Your tool kit contains feeler gauges to measure the distance between the speed sensor and the ring gear. I guess you add/remove shims so the appropriate feeler just fits. I have never found the need to change mine from factory amount fitted.
    Wow, I didn't know they put a gauge in the kit, mine must have got lost from the first owner! But back to the OP'er Yes, the shims belong there and put them back the way you founded them.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

As others have already stated. The distance between the sensor and tone ring is critical. Hence, the shim position and count are also critical. Make note of them if you ever disassemble that system.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...