Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone removed the Rear Trunk on 2020 RTL & replaced with panel? Miss the storage?

Has anyone removed the rear trunk and replaced with panel? If so, did you miss the storage space?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Has anyone removed the rear trunk and replaced with panel? If so, did you miss the storage space?
    That’s such an “individual circumstances” thing, Bob. I ride with the panel unless I’m heading off on a multi day trip. It is only 5 minutes to remove the panel and pop the trunk back on.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yes and I did miss the space so I just leave the trunk on. I only ran the panel one time when I first got my Spyder. Plus I have installed the factory passenger arm rests and the Spyder looks very strange with arm rests and no trunk.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I thought that I would like the panel but have found that I really like the looks better with the trunk installed.
    Like Pete said, it literally only takes 5 minutes to change. If you prefer that look, then go for it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I thought that I would like the panel but have found that I really like the looks better with the trunk installed.
    Like Pete said, it literally only takes 5 minutes to change. If you prefer that look, then go for it.
    Yeah, that’s why it is so hard to “recommend” anything, K80. I much prefer the “trunkless” look, and you much prefer the “trunked” look. It’s all in the eye of the beholder

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

As they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder"

top case beer ai generated.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. I was trying to get a feel of other peoples personal likes and dislikes. I would probably use the panel cus I don't do any long riding. Sciatica is getting the best of me. I would miss the storage if I did trips. Again, I appreciate your input(s).
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2020 RT Limited in early 2020. It took me a month or two to find a chalk rear panel. I ordered it and when it arrived, I took off my top box and put it up on a shelf in my garage. It hasn't seen the light of day since. To be fair, my wife rides her own Spyder and I pull an RT622 trailer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. I was trying to get a feel of other peoples personal likes and dislikes. I would probably use the panel cus I don't do any long riding. Sciatica is getting the best of me. I would miss the storage if I did trips. Again, I appreciate your input(s).
    It’s only 5 minutes if you change your mind, Bob. I have popped the trunk on a couple of times when it’s hot and we are two up, as you can leave helmets and jackets in the RT. My jacket is a very large bit of gear, as you can imagine

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

@BangorBob: I understand your question to see what others feel about the trunk on/off, and it's always interesting to see how our fellow riders approach our sport. On my 2020 RT, I've had the trunk on/off several times and like the look and lost weight of the trunk when off. But I always put it back on because I carry important (to me) stuff in there, like extra gloves; tire repair kit with micro air compressor; windshield/face shield cleaner; a lightweight travel cover; a few hand tools; duct tape; zip ties; etc. (anal? Yes!)
    Laugh with me as I share a use for duct tape while riding: 2 years ago, while in Mt Airy North Carolina on a 32 degree F morning, I zipped up my Aerostitch pants in the restroom and the zipper came apart from the waist to the floor! I held the pieces together enough to get out to the trike and taped around my pants at 3 places and finished the day's ride. Duct tape rocks!
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    @BangorBob: I understand your question to see what others feel about the trunk on/off, and it's always interesting to see how our fellow riders approach our sport. On my 2020 RT, I've had the trunk on/off several times and like the look and lost weight of the trunk when off. But I always put it back on because I carry important (to me) stuff in there, like extra gloves; tire repair kit with micro air compressor; windshield/face shield cleaner; a lightweight travel cover; a few hand tools; duct tape; zip ties; etc. (anal? Yes!)
    Laugh with me as I share a use for duct tape while riding: 2 years ago, while in Mt Airy North Carolina on a 32 degree F morning, I zipped up my Aerostitch pants in the restroom and the zipper came apart from the waist to the floor! I held the pieces together enough to get out to the trike and taped around my pants at 3 places and finished the day's ride. Duct tape rocks!
    John, I get the duct tape thing. Some of us went camping in Washington state and a couple of us road our MC's. 80's when we left. 38 degrees and raining when we were going to start for home. No rain gear. Only 1 other couple in the campgrounds. They were kind enough to give us some large garbage bags and Duct Tape. Instant rain gear. I always carry the tape when I go on extended trips. Thanks for the input.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I bought my 2020 RT Limited in early 2020. It took me a month or two to find a chalk rear panel. I ordered it and when it arrived, I took off my top box and put it up on a shelf in my garage. It hasn't seen the light of day since. To be fair, my wife rides her own Spyder and I pull an RT622 trailer.
    Sir, do you have a pic of your bike with the panel on? I ask because my trunk top is black. I don't particularly like black out here in the desert but don't know if the white panel would be too much white. Thanks.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

my 2020 rt cam with the removable back rest and rack, i bought a panel. The only time i put the back rest on is when my wife rides with me which is not that often
    20221230_101057.jpg
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Sir, do you have a pic of your bike with the panel on? I ask because my trunk top is black. I don't particularly like black out here in the desert but don't know if the white panel would be too much white. Thanks.
    I keep a bag strapped on my passenger seat. I like the look because it balances out my Spyder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Copperman; 10-22-2023 at 12:31 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I keep a bag strapped on my passenger seat. I like the look because it balances out my Spyder.
    Thanks to you and GS1. The bag does make a difference. Nice looking rides.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

I have the base model , I bought the top case and only use it when I go on overnight trips. I like the look of the RT with out the top case, but I need the room when I go away overnight.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I put the utility rack on my 20 RT Base and leave it full time. I bolted a Shad Top Case base and put the case on occasionally. I also exchange the base plate for a RotoPax Gas mount for long isolated tours (see avatar). The original painted cover sits in the shed.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

One thing to consider when you remove the trunk.....you lose the third brake light. I like having as much visibility as possible. Front and back.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    One thing to consider when you remove the trunk.....you lose the third brake light. I like having as much visibility as possible. Front and back.
    Yes, that was one of my serious considerations that I forgot to mention, Dave. Mind you, we don’t get the trunk brake light out here (very odd decision by the transport authorities, as it is right in the line of sight of following cars ). I actually ordered one and put it in. I’m now looking to find something that will sit higher on the cover.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post

I never remove my top case for this reason. The more lights for people to see you, the better. I added the slingmod afterburner lights but I still like the extra light from the top case. Plus, it's eye level for drivers behind me so it's more noticeable. My take is, the bigger the footprint, the hope is the better chance that they'll see you.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post

I never remove my top case for this reason. The more lights for people to see you, the better. I added the slingmod afterburner lights but I still like the extra light from the top case. Plus, it's eye level for drivers behind me so it's more noticeable. My take is, the bigger the footprint, the hope is the better chance that they'll see you.
    +1 on this... I'll be getting the new Show Chrome lights when they are available also..
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/led-...-limited-2020/
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    +1 on this... I'll be getting the new Show Chrome lights when they are available also..
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/led-...-limited-2020/
    They're pricey but I may get them in the spring anyhow. Thanks for the info.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a 2023 RTL and I bought the cover panel and decided the bike looks better with the trunk on plus we always need some storage area? I have never driven a mile without the trunk on? the cover was not a good investment on my part..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    They're pricey but I may get them in the spring anyhow. Thanks for the info.
    Yeah they are $$$$$$$.... I like the way they look.. Almost factory
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I do like mine better without the trunk. But sometimes the wife will not ride her own bike, but Ican convince her to ride with me. So now I keep the trunk on mine and ride hers when I want to not have the trunk. As for extra space, I don't miss it, because I rode a 2016 F3T for 6 years. No storage there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white