Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2023 Maggie Vally Spyder Adventures

I had a wonderful time, as always at the Spyder Rally in Maggie Valley 10/4-8. The weather was nearly perfect. I led 6 Spyders from the Raleigh, NC area. The only hiccup that we had was when we got a limp mode and 3 error codes on my buddies 2020 RTL. We pulled up the locator and saw that the dealership in Winston Salem was only 22 miles away. I gave them a call and gave them the vin and error codes and asked if we could continue on (this was after I was able to get it out of limp mode, but not turn the engine light off). They couldn't say for sure but asked us if we could come through. We got there and they pulled his bike right it. Found out the issue was low brake pads (a little early with only 18k miles). They replaced them and reset everything, and we were on our way. Since our spouses were with us, we took it easy and kept the rides each day to less than 250 miles, but it was still great. No real color until reaching elevations above 5,000', but it was still a great trip. I am really wishing it would move to the second or third weekend in October, just to see more color. But at the same time, not sure I would want to deal with the additional traffic. There was also a huge truck show in Maggie Valley, but I didn't have time to check it out. Also, there were lots of Mustangs there that had me chopping at the bit and wishing I had mine. That was until Saturday afternoon when we saw one crashed into the cliff wall along 215, and another sitting on its top with the entire front burned off. Already looking forward to next year. Thankfully I am still pretty close, so I might be making a day trip to the area in 2 weeks to check out the leaf color at 3,000-4,000'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2023 at 09:47 AM. Reason: their; Caps; & ' 's ;-)
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I had a wonderful time, as always at the Spyder Rally in Maggie Valley 10/4-8. The weather was nearly perfect. I led 6 Spyders from the Raleigh, NC area. The only hiccup that we had was when we got a limp mode and 3 error codes on my buddies 2020 RTL. We pulled up the locator and saw that the dealership in Winston Salem was only 22 miles away. I gave them a call and gave them the vin and error codes and asked if we could continue on (this was after I was able to get it out of limp mode, but not turn the engine light off). They couldn't say for sure but asked us if we could come through. We got there and they pulled his bike right it. Found out the issue was low brake pads (a little early with only 18k miles). They replaced them and reset everything, and we were on our way. Since our spouses were with us, we took it easy and kept the rides each day to less than 250 miles, but it was still great. No real color until reaching elevations above 5,000', but it was still a great trip. I am really wishing it would move to the second or third weekend in October, just to see more color. But at the same time, not sure I would want to deal with the additional traffic. There was also a huge truck show in Maggie Valley, but I didn't have time to check it out. Also, there were lots of Mustangs there that had me chopping at the bit and wishing I had mine. That was until Saturday afternoon when we saw one crashed into the cliff wall along 215, and another sitting on its top with the entire front burned off. Already looking forward to next year. Thankfully I am still pretty close, so I might be making a day trip to the area in 2 weeks to check out the leaf color at 3,000-4,000'
    Glad you were able to continue on ...... However 18,000 mi. and it needed Brake pads - I find this hard to believe, I have a 14 RT & got over 42,000 mi. on the fronts ...... and- 30,000 & then 36,000 on the rear ( the 36,000 were with Ron's EBC pads ...... just sayin ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Glad you got things worked out. Sorry to miss everyone this year. Had every intention of coming down. Just couldn't pull it off. But some made the 'Short' journey and came by to see us at the shop. That was Great and much appreciated!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm glad folks had a nice weekend and got in some good riding. We have been to Maggie twice this year and were looking forward to this trip, but alas it wasn't to be. Like you Blacklightning I am thinking about another ride down before the weather gets too ugly.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Glad you were able to continue on ...... However 18,000 mi. and it needed Brake pads - I find this hard to believe, I have a 14 RT & got over 42,000 mi. on the fronts ...... and- 30,000 & then 36,000 on the rear ( the 36,000 were with Ron's EBC pads ...... just sayin ....Mike
    I agree 100%. I had 28k on my 2016 F3T before I sold it, and they still had some wear left. I told my buddy he should ask to see the pads that they removed, but he didn't remember until we had left. But if he feels good about the deal, that is all that was important. As for me, I have to see for myself.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white