Spyder Garage

Default RT Base, pump-up suspension, how often?

What ho,

We just got ourselves a new Spyder RT 2022 Base. We got a great deal when we traded in our (much loved) 2014 RT-S.

There are a LOT of differences, but the one I am most interested in right now is the pump-up suspension. We pumped up the suspension this morning to about 70PSI, then went off on a ~150 mile ride. IT was 61 degrees when we left, and 91 when we got back.

When we checked the suspension pressure in the evening, it was 54PSI!

The previous spyder had a suspension pump, so this is new to us and we have some questions.

- Is it expected to need to check the pressure regularly, even daily when touring?
    - Are there any aftermarket rear shocks that don't need pumping at all?

IMG_9062.jpg

I added a picture of her with her CanAm LinQ plate and CanAm LinQ seat.

Much obliged,

-Rachel

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2022 RT has it's own air compressor and regulator, its designed to sense whatever weight is on the seat. It's an airbag over the shock. NOT an air shock.

OOOPS! My Bad, I assumed that it was the same as an RTL,
    Again, Never Assume! Sorry 4 this worthless post.
    Last edited by Knizar; 10-09-2023 at 07:16 AM. Reason: bad info
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Knizar, if he has the base model, it has the manual fill set up!

And OuluPulu, if you left with 70lbs in the bag and came back with 54lbs, you may have a tiny leak, but I think I have a different twist to this! Let's make sure you don't have a leak first; soapy water is your friend here, it will tell you if you have a leak. But I think that your issue is that the bag is a small item, and it does not take a very big loss of air to make a big change in the set pressure. All you need to do is not get your pump hose off the fitting quickly enough and you'll lose a little burp of air in the process, but a little burst can mean that you have lost a fair few psi from your small air bag. And if you're checking the pressure with a tire gauge and you can do that without losing air in the process, you're doing a better job than I!

So with those worries about what your air bag pressure may be, that could be your problem. If it's a tight system/no leaks, then you can set it and forget it unless your ride starts to get spongy. I check mine about once a year, when I get it out in the spring! If you want to put a shock under there; yes, they make them; and yes, you will not have to have that bag at all; but it would make a good overload helper if you tow a trailer or are loaded up for a long travel trip.

Hope this helped you, ride more worry less!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2023 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

My big hands cannot air up the rear shock air bladder in its original location (under the seats), so I relocated it to the exterior panel just in front of the righthand side case (see photo). Also bought a small hand pump with gauge to air up the bladder. It has a lever that only engages the Schrader valve when locked down, so no air is lost removing the pump. (see photo)

IMG_7597.JPG

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 6.29.36 AM 1.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2023 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching; + 's ... ;-)
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    My big hands cannot air up the rear shock air bladder in its original location (under the seats), so I relocated it to the exterior panel just in front of the righthand side case (see photo). Also bought a small hand pump with gauge to air up the bladder. It has a lever that only engages the Schrader valve when locked down, so no air is lost removing the pump. (see photo)

IMG_7597.JPG

I bought that exact pump, but I also bought an extension because it is indeed hard to reach the valve. Mine also leaks but it's air so it's going to leak over time. The good part now is I can easily connect to it to fill it up. The bad part is that I now have to remove my entire Corbin 1 piece seat to fill it up. I may replace it with an Elka shock in the spring.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The air bladder is small and I can lose 5psi just by removing the air chuck. If I'm aiming for 60 I will put in 65 and it comes out about right. As far as holding pressure my bike holds the pressure just fine. You may have a small leak and I would check at the fitting where you add air first.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would take it in to the dealership and have it checked while it is still under warranty. I had the manual type on my 2016 F3T and it had a leak. I caught it just before the extended warranty gave out and it was covered. It should not leak down too quickly, but mine got so bad that it would leak down over just a couple of hours. my 2016 F3L also has the manual bladder. It leaks down, but very slowly and I add to it about once every couple of months.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I converted my RTS to manual air after the leak caused to pump to over work and die. The setting I put in lasts for months.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Mikey, much helpful, much obliged. The air bladder is rather small, isn't it? I only noticed it when it started bottoming out - the dealer did not inflate it. I'll check again when it bottoms out again

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    The 2022 RT has it's own air compressor and regulator, its designed to sense whatever weight is on the seat. It's an airbag over the shock. NOT an air shock.

OOOPS! My Bad, I assumed that it was the same as an RTL,
    Again, Never Assume! Sorry 4 this worthless post.
    Oh, do you have an RTL? Why, you must be truly special.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    .months.

Lew L
    Noice

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    warranty.
    The magic word. Will keep an eye on it and get it checked soooooooon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OuluPulu View Post
    The magic word. Will keep an eye on it and get it checked soooooooon
    I am using one of these. Had to remove the valve stem of the oem and it works fine. Just lays under the seat.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Flex...90001066&psc=1
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OuluPulu View Post
    Mikey, much helpful, much obliged. The air bladder is rather small, isn't it? I only noticed it when it started bottoming out - the dealer did not inflate it. I'll check again when it bottoms out again
    If the dealer didn't inflate it and you rode it and bottomed it out you may have pinched the bag!!!! I would talk to your dealer and tell him what he did for you, then take it back and let HIM soap the system up and find out if it's OK, and you're on your way, or he has some warranty work to do! Good Luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

did you have any issues when you did this ...I have the same problem hands are too big...
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST VERY VERY HELPFUL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BakerAirWing used to make a very nice bolt on aftermarket air ride kit for the Spyder RT without factory air ride...If your air bag is good this was a very easy to install option and you don't need to be a really gifted mechanic and there's no need to remove the rear section of the bike...I think they were $175.00...I have 1 new one left in stock...The last time I talked to Bakers I bought some parts and they told me they had parts left in stock to build kits if needed...

Here are the install video's

Just some additional info on the Baker compressor system. There are two installation videos on youtube.com

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H325EL9pNns
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHcj3TGqhY

Spyder Garage

For me, when and if my bag fails, I will be putting a good aftermarket shock on the rear and be done with the air system all together.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post

IMG_7597.JPG

What did you have to remove to mount the valve on the side I have a 2022 RT
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2024 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added Quote of post referred to - I hope?! Please use 'Reply with Quote' or add the posters name to text of your question...
    own: 2022 Spyder RT. purchased rear trunk seperately