Spyder Garage

Default Do I Have A Lemon?

My wife transitioned from motorcycle to F3S in January 2020.

Off & ON we've had intermittent parking brake issues.

June 2022, when putting into first gear, the thing would buck hard and lurch forward. Dealer service claimed that we need an entire new clutch assembly. Took about 6 - 8 weeks.

June 2023, it would not go into first gear or reverse. She could downshift while riding, but could not get to neutral or reverse when stopped. Shutting the engine down would put it back into neutral. The dealer replaced the entire left handle bar switch assembly.

I'm still riding a motorcycle. These kinds of reliability issues make me reluctant to switch if I can't ride anymore.

These are complicated machines, lots of stuff to go wrong. Are we just unlucky or is this common?
    - Scott

Spyder Garage

We hear very little about problems with the brand as a whole. A big question? Is the dealer doing the proper fixes? Many times that is where the glitch comes in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You didn't indicate if the most recent repair cured the problem. From your description it sounds like two separate issues. Most lemon laws allow for repairs of a problem by the dealer. Then if the dealer/factory is unable to fix the problem, lemon laws kick in after the 3rd try. Having 2 different problems in 2 years is not unheard of. I had 3 warranty claims for 3 different problems in a 3 year period. I wasn't happy but at least the problems were fixed. And, the bike found a new owner as soon as the warranty expired. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you were just unlucky and got a bad one but not technically a 'lemon'. I have 40k miles on my '20 with only 1 failed brake switch that I replaced myself - even tho I have BEST. I rarely ever see my dealer after purchase because what they call 'technicians' I call 'part swappers'. It seems like dropping a bike off at the dealer always takes weeks to get back on the road. Cuts into the miles of smiles.

Consider trading or selling to avoid future bugs.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    You didn't indicate if the most recent repair cured the problem. From your description it sounds like two separate issues. Most lemon laws allow for repairs of a problem by the dealer. Then if the dealer/factory is unable to fix the problem, lemon laws kick in after the 3rd try. Having 2 different problems in 2 years is not unheard of. I had 3 warranty claims for 3 different problems in a 3 year period. I wasn't happy but at least the problems were fixed. And, the bike found a new owner as soon as the warranty expired. Good luck..... Jim
    In some States here in Oz, Lemon Laws can kick in even if it's not the same problem that isn't being fixed - if the vehicle has 3 or an otherwise specified number of problems after another, even if they're seemingly unrelated, but they happen within the specified time-frame for that State, then the vehicle can be deemed a lemon and the by now frustrated owner can either get all their money back (sometimes even plus a 'pain & suffering' premium) or they can choose to get a brand new replacement machine...

But then there's at least one other State that has lemon laws, only they don't apply to 'motorcycles' at all, and despite a Spyder being effectively registered as a car in that State, they still think it enough of a motorcycle that the exclude them from their lemon laws under that excuse!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes, the latest fix seems to have taken care of the shifting issue and so far, no parking brake issues.

No, I’m not worried about lemon laws, just wondering if these types of issues are going to continue.

These two repairs together totaled in the $2500 - $3000 range.
    - Scott

Spyder Garage

Reliability is not the best feature of the Can-Am Spyder. Many folks buy them for the reasons you say that you may buy one and your wife probably did. It fills a niche market and a lot of folks buy (and some repeat and repeat) because the Spyder meets their desire to keep riding.

Do more research.
    Last edited by Freddy; 10-06-2023 at 04:57 PM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Those two issues have been bounced around the floor here on this site! And your fixes USUALLY fix them! The sad thing is that your bike was made by a human and not all new parts are good right out of the box. Good thing is I hope they were on warranty or recall? If not, well I am sorry to hear that. I would hang in there and see how it all shakes down, but if you're going to bail, trade the old girl in for a newer one while it's still got a little of the new smell on it, more trade in!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2023 at 08:19 PM. Reason: USSALY ... ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Reliability is not the best feature of the Can-Am Spyder. Many folks buy them for the reasons you say that you may buy one and your wife probably did. It fills a niche market and a lot of folks buy (and some repeat and repeat) because the Spyder meets their desire to keep riding.

Do more research.
    Really, what does the research say about alternatives to a Can-Am Spyder?

In each motorcycle segment I’ve owned, I’ve had a handful or more alternatives. Competition works to improve all.
    - Scott

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
    Yes, the latest fix seems to have taken care of the shifting issue and so far, no parking brake issues.

No, I’m not worried about lemon laws, just wondering if these types of issues are going to continue.

These two repairs together totaled in the $2500 - $3000 range.
    Personally, that seems way too high of price for both, even at a dealer. The parts for both are under $800 total and that’s even high. Yes, left control is expensive and a lot of work but that’s still pretty high, maybe 3 maybe 4-hour job at dealer at tops I’d think. I’d check around at another dealer next time. Parking brake is a very simple job, hour at tops. So for both jobs, maybe $750 at tops on labor.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2023 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Personally that seems way to high of price for both even at a dealer. The parts for both are under $800 total and that’s even high. Yes left control is expensive and a lot of work but that’s still pretty high maybe 3 maybe 4 hour job at dealer at tops I’d think. I’d check around at another dealer next time. Parking brake is a very simple job, hour at tops. So for both jobs maybe $750 at tops on labor.
    Another dealer would be good. There are lots of them here in the DFW area but as far as I can tell, they are all owned by the same company.
    - Scott

Spyder Garage

RE: Reliability. I have owned seven Spyders since they came out in 2008. Two early GS/RS models, Two of the twin cylinder RT's, One three cylinder RT, and Two F3's (1330's). We have driven almost 200,000 miles total on our Spyders. Never had any major problems, never broke down on the road, never had a fear of being stranded in the middle of nowhere. PS...I lived in Alaska for almost 20 years, that is where I started with Spyder in 2008. Moved to Arkansas in 2019. Finally, due to health reasons I have now sold our last two Spyders. The new owners got the best deals of their lives. Perfect bikes right out the door. One with 20K miles and another with only 9K miles.

I would do it all over again if I had the years and the health.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    RE: Reliability. I have owned seven Spyders since they came out in 2008. Two early GS/RS models, Two of the twin cylinder RT's, One three cylinder RT, and Two F3's (1330's). We have driven almost 200,000 miles total on our Spyders. Never had any major problems, never broke down on the road, never had a fear of being stranded in the middle of nowhere. PS...I lived in Alaska for almost 20 years, that is where I started with Spyder in 2008. Moved to Arkansas in 2019. Finally, due to health reasons I have now sold our last two Spyders. The new owners got the best deals of their lives. Perfect bikes right out the door. One with 20K miles and another with only 9K miles.

I would do it all over again if I had the years and the health.
    That’s good to hear, thanks for the feedback.
    - Scott

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RTL with almost 49000 miles on it. I've taken two 30-day trips; one two-week; and one one-week; plus day rides. This year alone totaling over 25000 miles. So I think they're pretty reliable machines.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2023 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Caps; .'s; & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Do you have a lemon.....? No!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!