Spyder Garage

Default Are the Front belt pulley bolts on 998 SE5's & 1330 SE6's the same?

I am awaiting the center bolt for the front drive belt pulley on our 2013 RT Limited SM5. Affectionally known as Evil '13. At first I was told some bolts were "discontinued" which the repair shop said made no sense. Upon further research it has been determined it is a supply chain thing. Been over 2 months.
    My question is, "Is the center bolt to the front pulley the same on the 998 SM5 and the front pulley on the 1330 SE6?' I suspect they are and that explains the delay. There aren't any left!!!!!!!!
    I have not compared part numbers for the two machines yet. And we ended up buying a 2021 F3 Limited in July anyway. I miss Evil '13 but am liking the F3 named "Nugget".
    Took me 7 years to name Evil '13. Had Nugget named in a week. Titanium Liquid I think is what they call it. I call it gold.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-01-2023 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I seem to remember that the earlier bolt has a flange head and newer bolt has a normal hex head plus a hardened flat washer - but I stand to be corrected.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-02-2023 at 04:01 AM. Reason: flang ... ;-)
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Try looking up the bolt at McMaster Carr or Grainger online. You will need the dimensions, thread pitch, etc, along with the grade of the bolt. I see you live in NE, otherwise I would say try Threads of the South in Georgia.

Alternatively, try looking it up at Napa auto parts. Or finally Amazon... or just a Web search............
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-02-2023 at 08:15 AM. Reason: yu; ' 's ... ;-)
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

That bolt is no ordinary bolt - it has thread lock on it from the factory. Get the genuine item.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

I agree!!! special bolt with thread lock on it , plus can endure the 115 ft lbs torgue. don't want to wimp out on that bolt that holds the sprocket on the output shaft and have problems
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    That bolt is no ordinary bolt - it has thread lock on it from the factory. Get the genuine item.

Can't get it Freddy. That is the issue. There is no "genuine" part to get.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2023 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display; & " ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    I agree!!! special bolt with thread lock on it , plus can endure the 115 ft lbs torgue. don't want to wimp out on that bolt that holds the sprocket on the output shaft and have problems
    I agree Woodaddict. The problem is it can't be got right now. I'm trying to get the specs so I can try and find one or get one made. MacMasters has a 10.4 hardness(?) one I think...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2023 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display; & a!0.4 ?? ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    Try looking up the bolt at McMaster Carr or Grainger online. You will need the dimensions, thread pitch, etc, along with the grade of the bolt. I see you live in NE, otherwise I would say try Threads of the South in Georgia.

Alternatively, try looking it up at Napa auto parts. Or finally Amazon... or just a Web search............

WCRLVR, McMaster Carr has some, I think. But I need to know hardness and such. I believe it is an M12x65 from what I have found. But no other info. And BRP is useless.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2023 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

So you don't have the old one? What was wrong with it?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Ah View Post
    I am awaiting the center bolt for the front drive belt pulley on our 2013 RT Limited SM5. Affectionally known as Evil '13. At first I was told some bolts were "discontinued" which the repair shop said made no sense. Upon further research it has been determined it is a supply chain thing. Been over 2 months.
    My question is, "Is the center bolt to the front pulley the same on the 998 SM5 and the front pulley on the 1330 SE6?' I suspect they are and that explains the delay. There aren't any left!!!!!!!!
    I have not compared part numbers for the two machines yet. And we ended up buying a 2021 F3 Limited in July anyway. I miss Evil '13 but am liking the F3 named "Nugget".
    Took me 7 years to name Evil '13. Had Nugget named in a week. Titanium Liquid I think is what they call it. I call it gold.
    You may unfortunately be up against the dreaded "10 year requirement", which requires manufacturers to supply OEM parts for only 10 years. Hope you get lucky.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    You may unfortunately be up against the dreaded "10 year requirement", which requires manufacturers to supply OEM parts for only 10 years. Hope you get lucky.
    I just don't believe that's the problem! It's all the pulleys and bolts they have sent out all over the world to supply the screw up that happen with a few sprockets, it's like shooting with buck shot some you hit, some you don't!! Some sprockets would have been ok, some would have gone bad! But they have to cover all the ones they think were bad in that lot of sprockets.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Mikey, the shop has the old one and I guess it needs replacing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Ah View Post
    Mikey, the shop has the old one and I guess it needs replacing.
    that bolt is supposed to be a ONE TIME use. because of the torque setting and when using it the one time might not be able to keep sprocket tight enough 2nd time around. that bolt should be same length and thread size across all spyders. something to check into
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I'm not a lawyer, but I couldn't find any ten year law for parts. The only thing I could find is they have to provide parts for the duration of their warranty period. Emissions they have to cover to fix for 8 years, but it doesn't say anything about parts, just that they have to fix emissions. From what I could find the state of California requires parts supply for 3 years.

I couldn't find any 10 year law. Lots of mentions of it but I couldn't find any dept of Transport or dept of Trade rules for 10 years provision.

It's a 10 year old bike, way out of warranty. Using the old bolt, I would try to use a bolt supplier to find an equivalent part and a suitable high grade thread locker. Seems the original specification was for 96 lb ft but the NHTSA recall says 111 lb ft.

Being one time use, I doubt any dealers will be returning their inventory of recall parts to BRP. I can't imagine BRP had a special bolt made though. But the've done stranger things.

In reality, I would have thought using a bolt of equivalent size and specification, with suitable thread locker would work OK. It's a splined drive, so most of the force is through the spline.

But your mileage may vary of course. Good luck.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver