Spyder Garage

Default How can I clear warnings from the dash? 2011 RTS

I have owned my 2011 Spyder RTS a little over 2 years, and a few months after I got it there was a Red Check Engine Warning on the Dash. I did fix it, and I think I got how to do it here... I usually write most things I do in my book that I keep in the side bags. BUT, now that it's happened again, I don't know what I did last time... It seems like I might have unhooked the Battery Cable, over-night maybe... Does that sound right??? Anyone know how it can be cleared??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-26-2023 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    I have owned my 2011 Spyder RTS a little over 2 years, and a few months after I got it there was a Red Check Engine Warning on the Dash. I did fix it, and I think I got how to do it here... I usually write most things I do in my book that I keep in the side bags. BUT, now that it's happened again, I don't know what I did last time... It seems like I might have unhooked the Battery Cable, over-night maybe... Does that sound right??? Anyone know how it can be cleared??
    I never leave the key in the Ignition switch ....... Do you ???? ...... Others here have had same issue as you ..... dis-connect Battery wires ( + first then - ).... touch them together ..... re-connect ( + first, then - ) ..... hope this works .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I seldom remove the key unless I am parked in an area that might have a high potential for bothering the Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I never leave the key in the Ignition switch ....... Do you ???? ...... Others here have had same issue as you ..... dis-connect Battery wires ( + first then - ).... touch them together ..... re-connect ( + first, then - ) ..... hope this works .... Mike
    I'm a retired Mechanic, but never worked on a Spyder LOL ... and there is nothing wrong with my Spyder, I mean full of Oil and Water. What happened yesterday was I was riding, and a Driver cut me off in town so I was on the brakes hard in 5th gear and choked it out and killed my Spyder engine. I worked a few seconds to get down to neutral and pushed the starter button and it started up and back on the road ... but then it started flashing the Check Engine light... ran fine & I was only 20 miles from home... I drove back home no problem. I will unhook the battery today for a few minutes and reconnect everything... Thank you so much for your help.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2023 at 07:46 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

See what active codes you my have, next time appears.
    Retrieving codes

1. Turn Ignition key to "ON"
    2. Push the "MODE" button to display total hours screen. Start engine and run until check engine light (or other fault indication) is displayed.
    3. Press and hold "MODE" button while pushing the "High Beam Flash" button rapidly five times (within 2 seconds).
    4. The active faults will be displayed or "No Active Fault Code" will be shown.
    5. If you do not get a message, you didn't get the flash beams sequence done during the allotted time. Try again.
    6. Jot the code-number down and check the list in the manual to determine your problem.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 09-27-2023 at 10:33 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Retrieving codes

2. Push the "MODE" button to display total hours screen. Start engine and run until check engine light (or other fault indication) is displayed.
    3. Press and hold "MODE" button while pushing the "High Beam Flash" button rapidly five times (within 2 seconds).
    5. If you do not get a message, you didn't get the flash beams sequence done during the allotted time. Try again.
    6. Jot the code-number down and check the list in the manual to determine your problem.
    Well, there is really nothing wrong with my Spyder. I pulled it over and checked Oil & Water, everything was good, and it runs just like always.
    I am pretty sure it was just the quick stop that killed it at the same time, and I started it in 5th and worked it down into 1st and was gone.
    This also happened a couple of years ago, and I am pretty sure I did the disconnect Battery Cables and reconnect them then, and it has been fine for 2 years... lol ... So, that's the new plan, and THIS time I wrote it in my manual. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2023 at 07:44 PM. Reason: diown; ' 's ... ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Retrieving codes

Is that the way it is on the ST? On the RT, up thru 2017, you push mode and set at the same time and hold, then push turn signal cancel.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Is that the way it is on the ST? On the RT you push mode and set at the same time and hold, then push turn signal cancel.
    No, that's not for an ST per se, it's for all the older/pre 2013 Spyders, like those sledge & Bfromla own; your method is for the 2013 & on Spyders.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!