Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE - Treat Williams ( ACTOR ) ... Accused's Plea Deal!!

Yesterday 6-12-23, He was riding His Mtc. on RT 30 ( a road I travel on frequently ). according to Police an oncoming SUV had stopped and was signaling a left turn .... The OP then turned abruptly into the path of Williams. .... He died at the scene ..... A lesson to all, remember people don't always SEE what is right in front of them .... to His family ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yesterday 6-12-23, He was riding His Mtc. on RT 30 ( a road I travel on frequently ). according to Police an oncoming SUV had stopped and was signaling a left turn .... The OP then turned abruptly into the path of Williams. .... He died at the scene ..... A lesson to all, remember people don't always SEE what is right in front of them .... to His family ..... Mike
    33 years in the fire department. And I can attest that this is not uncommon. Those that survive will tell you, 'They looked right at me and then pulled out'. No, they looked right through you. Just because they 'Look at you', doesn't mean they saw you. Don't watch the person, watch the front wheel of the vehicle. It is the first sign that they are moving. Always assume they are going to pull out in front of you. If they don't, you're golden! If they do, you're prepared.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

IMHO headlight modulators go a LONG way to preventing these types of tragedies.

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-26-2023 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Nobody sees you.
    Have had two near misses with head on's in the last few weeks.
    Had to come to a full stop on the hiway because some idiot kept coming.
    I was driving the SUV with the lights on both times.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sad, this guy did some great work.

Spyder Garage

R.I.P.

Ride like your invisible, and everyone is trying to kill you.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Back in June He was riding His Mtc. in Dorset Vermont ( He was living in Vermont ) .... On Vt. Rt. 30 another driver was Southbound, He was Nothbound .... The other driver turned left across the northbound lane. .... Treat could not stop in time and hit the SUV. .... The other opr. was arraigned in Court and charged with " Gross negligent operation with Death resulting " .... this is a felony, and could result in a 15 year prison sentence. The other opr. has pleaded Not Guilty, and claims He obeyed all traffic laws. Because I live in Vermont I get all the local news, and will keep you up-dated ..... I was an LEO for 35+ years and IMHO the other opr. is going to be found guilty ....... later ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-26-2023 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Removed Post title after thread merge... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Back in June He was riding His Mtc. in Dorset Vermont ( He was living in Vermont ) .... On Vt. Rt. 30 another driver was Southbound, He was Nothbound .... The other driver turned left across the northbound lane. .... Treat could not stop in time and hit the SUV. .... The other opr. was arraigned in Court and charged with " Gross negligent operation with Death resulting " .... this is a felony, and could result in a 15 year prison sentence. The other opr. has pleaded Not Guilty, and claims He obeyed all traffic laws. Because I live in Vermont I get all the local news, and will keep you up-dated ..... I was an LEO for 35+ years and IMHO the other opr. is going to be found guilty ....... later ....Mike
    You can claim anything you like in a court of law. If they require this person to back up their statement with actually proof, they are toast. But you never know these days. They could walk. Justice is getting as rare as the truth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You can claim anything you like in a court of law. If they require this person to back up their statement with actually proof, they are toast. But you never know these days. They could walk. Justice is getting as rare as the truth.
    anything is possible ...... But as a former LEO ( in Vermont ) I could not come up with a scenario, where the other opr. was NOT in violation of a couple of MV laws ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

anything is possible ...... But as a former LEO ( in Vermont ) I could not come up with a scenario, where the other opr. was NOT in violation of a couple of MV laws ..... Mike
    I agree. It's a no-brainer that the operator of the other vehicle violated the law in more than one statute. But the law has become extremely flexible. To the point that is no longer applies in some courts. A sad commentary. I hope justice is done in this one.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-27-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Don't watch the person, watch the front wheel of the vehicle. It is the first sign that they are moving. Always assume they are going to pull out in front of you. If they don't, you're golden! If they do, you're prepared.
    Totally agree. The best advice I ever got when I first started on 2 wheels was, "watch the hubcaps" because you'll see them move the instant the driver does anything and they're more obvious than the bulk of the vehicle. Saved me so many times.

Half the time I don't even remember what the vehicle was that was on a cross street... but I remember what their hubcaps looked like!
    2022 Spyder RT Ltd Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    Totally agree. The best advice I ever got when I first started on 2 wheels was, "watch the hubcaps" because you'll see them move the instant the driver does anything and they're more obvious than the bulk of the vehicle. Saved me so many times.

Half the time I don't even remember what the vehicle was that was on a cross street... but I remember what their hubcaps looked like!
    I learned that technique also. It is an instant giveaway if you see the wheel move, even a little bit. If I even see it roll a half turn,, I am ready with the brakes and horn.

Spyder Garage

The rule we learned in football years ago applies here. Follow the belt buckle. They have to go where it goes. Follow the wheels, the car has to go where they go. Never mind looking at the driver or making eye contact. They will stare right into your eyes and still cut you off.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good survival tip on the wheels. We need all the survival skills we can get and then some.

Spyder Garage

Newspaper article, go to: vtdigger.org - Feb. 27, 2024 and look for recent stories - scroll down to it. Last June He was operating His HD on Rt 30 in Dorset Vt. An SUV turned into Him. ... Williams was air-lifted to Albany (the nearest major hospital). However, he died enroute. The SUV operator was arrested and charged with causing a Vehicular Accident - Death resulting. This is a Felony, with a possible 15-year sentence. However, a plea deal was made reducing that charge down to a Misdemeanor ... this charge carries a penalty of ONE YEAR Probation that will actually be EXPUNGED by the court if the Probation is not violated! Normally, when a Felony Charge (of this severity) is Reduced to a Misdemeanor, it is with the approval of the family (but not always!) I was an LEO for 35+ years (with extensive accident investigation training) and I cannot understand why this was allowed to be Plead down?! The Judge in this case does yet have to approve this Plea deal for it to be finalized. .... I'll keep everyone posted on how this ends. ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2024 at 03:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

Not to depreciate what took place. But there can be extenuating circumstances like the MC rider exceeding the speed limit (or other infraction). Not running their headlight (in some states). Had a friend that this happened to and charges for the driver were reduced because my friend was determined to be 10 mph over the speed limit and accelerating when the accident occurred.

Spyder Garage

Not to depreciate what took place. But there can be extenuating circumstances like the MC rider exceeding the speed limit (or other infraction). Not running their headlight (in some states). Had a friend that this happened to and charges for the driver were reduced because my friend was determined to be 10 mph over the speed limit and accelerating when the accident occurred.
    The article Stated ..... NO ALCOHOL ...... NO SPEEDING (according to witnesses) .... And Headlights are MANDATORY in Vt. - I have NEVER seen any Motorcycle (in the past 35-40 years) that didn't have its Headlights ON while moving, it's been Mandatory here for decades .... Thanks for responding .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-29-2024 at 08:54 PM.

Spyder Garage