Spyder Garage

Default AC joint separation - have you ridden the Spyder with one?

Last month a car pulled in front of my '76 RD400c from a hidden drive and I went over its hood into a ditch. Separated my left shoulder AC joint. Have started PT and yesterday rode the Spyder around the neighborhood a bit to check the ability. No pain at all from riding, just donning and adjusting the strap for the helmet.

Has anyone ridden the Spyder with this injury? I'm not pushing it - we will take the cage to Barber this year - but would be great to start riding the 20 miles to the vintage bike club meetings again.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not my spyder but I rode my Harley to PT after a separation. Just be extra cautious and it should be fine. Actually, the slight vibration felt kind of good.

Spyder Garage

So did you require surgery for the AC separation at all?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    ..... Separated my left shoulder AC joint. Have started PT and yesterday rode the Spyder around the neighborhood a bit to check the ability. No pain at all from riding, just donning and adjusting the strap for the helmet.

Has anyone ridden the Spyder with this injury? I'm not pushing it - we will take the cage to Barber this year - but would be great to start riding the 20 miles to the vintage bike club meetings again.
    Been there, done that, numerous surgeries, more times than I like to remember; all after being told that I'd be lucky to ever lift anything heavier than a coffee cup again, and that I'd NEVER lift my hands above shoulder height ever again!

But I'm a bit of a stubborn & driven person, so I looked at the exercises that I was given/told would help and then actively sought out those things I enjoyed doing that included similar movements so that I could work them into as much of my daily activities as possible - and then worked at doing any/all of those things as often as I could without causing excessive pain &/or stressing anything too much! After a lot of initial concern (and maybe even juuust a tad of disbelief until they actually SAW my Spyder and how it 'worked' my shoulders just like some of the exercises they recommended... ) and then some further/thorough investigations, just about all of those things, including Spyder riding, were 'allowed' So I did them all, including some Spyder riding (well, orright, maybe it was 'a lot!' ) and collectively, they worked so well that these days, ALL the Medical Practitioners, Surgeons, & PT's who oversee my ongoing treatment consider gentle Spyder riding to be a significant contributor to my relatively rapid recovery from serious & extensive bi-lateral shoulder damage and my eventual return to what is effectively a Full range of motion and very near full strength in both shoulders, including while lifting both hands above my head!

So if your Spyder's DPS is functioning as it should and you don't push things too hard too early in your recovery, then once you can lift your hands to elbow height without issue & it doesn't hurt to push/pull on the handlebars, then I'm convinced that some gentle Spyder riding can be a great exercise that can be a real help in your healing & in regaining that full range of motion & shoulder strength. You still need to do the exercises your Treatment Supervisors/PT recommends, but in my experience, Spyder riding only serves to enhance all of those and the benefits you gain. Maybe it's got a lot to do with the mind-state that riding helps bring about, but I reckon it's more to do with the relatively gentle but persistent exercising in itself that riding your Spyder is, just so long as you don't push it too hard too early.

Do check with those supervising your treatment first, and if they have any doubts, try to get them to actually look at how the Spyder works and how riding it will enhance their movement exercises and gradually allow you to rebuild strength without overly stressing the joints or muscles concerned, then listen to what they say; but it's certainly worked for me, despite my initial prognosis being quite dire! Just don't try to push your riding too hard too quickly!

Good Luck And as I might have said earlier, don't push things too hard too soon - but I not only say - Just Do It, I then went out there and I DID IT! And it worked fine for me!

Now if only I could work out how to include Spyder riding into my recovery from surgery on both eyes??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    So did you require surgery for the AC separation at all?
    No. It is just a level 2/3 separation (~10mm). For those they stick to PT.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I had a similar one. In a sling for 6 weeks. Then light duties for another month.
    Getting my hand up to my shoulder was a challenge first off, but it improved over time.
    I did not want to stuff it up, so I followed the advice passed on to me, did my exercises, and followed my treatment plan.
    Rule of thumb and sensible stuff. If it starts to cause pain dont do that stuff for a little longer.

You must have been given some advice???
    Your incident was "last month" , over to you what you do I guess.

Spyder Garage

Been there done that(different ways- still confusing DR’s)Cautious testing finding comfortable operating level. & can push limits in PT with trained personnel available, not out by yourself in the wild. Especially around idiots that don’t see us on a good day & your reactions are now compromised weakened & slower. Take the time, it can come back if don’t abuse yourself & back track. Additional motivation:0D4332D5-3F8F-4DE3-8555-E350EFA08042.jpg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Now if only I could work out how to include Spyder riding into my recovery from surgery on both eyes??
    My shoulder surgery and recovery went just about the same as yours did. I'm also looking eye surgery in the face now. Cataracts. I'm good for today but the future is coming faster and faster. It's shared with us old goats and a competent surgeon can put you back almost to new again. Do your research and I think that will help ease your anxiety.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    My shoulder surgery and recovery went just about the same as yours did. I'm also looking eye surgery in the face now. Cataracts. I'm good for today but the future is coming faster and faster. It's shared with us old goats and a competent surgeon can put you back almost to new again. Do your research and I think that will help ease your anxiety.
    Mine wasn't due to cataracts, and it's too soon after to know about the 'almost back to new again' bit yet, but I reckon any eye surgery is nasty enough... I hope yours goes well.

I've had the surgery already, and now I'm getting a bit frustrated at the recovery time/lost Spyder riding time... But I reckon I'll be back out there in a couple of weeks or so, and the Child Bride's already hoping it'll be sooner than that!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Last month a car pulled in front of my '76 RD400c from a hidden drive and I went over its hood into a ditch. Separated my left shoulder AC joint. Have started PT and yesterday rode the Spyder around the neighborhood a bit to check the ability. No pain at all from riding, just donning and adjusting the strap for the helmet.

After having friends that have been through that, I would run it by the Dr, if he thinks it's time to stretch it to that level then go for it! Had a good friend that didn't listen to his doctor and ended back on the table for round two, he paid closer attention to him the second time! Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2023 at 07:00 AM. Reason: threw; payed; ... ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I go in for round 2 PT tomorrow am. I'll ask him about riding. So far, he says for PT to "kiss the pain, but don't make out with it". Riding the Spyder gives less pain than the PT so far. My ROM is rapidly improving. Kind of surprising me at 71. I was only in the sling until I saw my ortho (for another reason). That was two weeks in and he said I could do without if it didn't hurt and I didn't lift any weight with it. If the PT doctor clears me tomorrow, I will ride the Spyder in to the vintage bike meeting Tuesday night. Saturday our church has a big bike show, and I have to honcho it. Check us out if you are in the area:

The Way Show.jpg
    The Way map simple.jpg
    Last edited by pidjones; 09-24-2023 at 02:30 PM.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Different Docs have different philosophies. I had total shoulder replacement. I left the hospital with my arm in a sling, but with explicit instruction to not wear it more than 48 hours. Then move arm as pain would allow. So far so good.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2023 at 07:31 PM. Reason: The... ;-)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a nutshell, if it hurts, don't do it.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have tears in both shoulders, neither is torn bad enough to warrant surgery -- two different surgeons have told me they would do more damage fixing than I did tearing. So, PT is was for me as well. I have had to adapt my spyder riding technique in order to remain pain free, even on long rides. Many, if not most, use a "push / pull" on the handle bars (as well as pressing on the outer foot and leaning into the curve) -- this will wear my shoulders out in no time and I'll be in pain for days after. So, I only use a gently push on the handlebar and I can ride even the most challenging twisties all day long (just finished a week in the Ozarks of MO and AR a few days ago).

Example -- left hand turn:
    Push with the right hand
    Press with the right foot
    Lean left and slightly forward

Doing this has allowed me to continue riding and remain pain free in my left for more than a decade, in my right for about five years (a more recent injury).

With care, you should have no problem riding ... be curious to see what PT says though.

All the best .... Ann

I go in for round 2 PT tomorrow am. I'll ask him about riding. So far, he says for PT to "kiss the pain, but don't make out with it". Riding the Spyder gives less pain than the PT so far. My ROM is rapidly improving. Kind of surprising me at 71. I was only in the sling until I saw my ortho (for another reason). That was two weeks in and he said I could do without if it didn't hurt and I didn't lift any weight with it. If the PT doctor clears me tomorrow, I will ride the Spyder in to the vintage bike meeting Tuesday night. Saturday our church has a big bike show, and I have to honcho it. Check us out if you are in the area:
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

PT yesterday (my 2nd) was a bit rougher. The PT doctor said riding is OK, just judge by pain. I plan to roll both vintage bikes out of the garage today and drain the float bowls. Ride the Spyder in for our vintage bike meeting. It's about 20 miles one-way.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Ride to and from the meeting last night went fine. Just tiring. Only occasional movements causing pain, so... don't think me stuck-up if you don't see the "biker's wave" returned by me. For some reason it really hurts. Other than that, donning and buckling the helmet and operating the Bluetooth require leaning my head left some. It's getting there. I washed my hair with both hands yesterday!
    1976 RD400c