Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else noticed this Unusual battery draw? 2023 RT Ltd

Hi. Just purchased a 2023 RT LTD a couple of months ago. So far I've only ridden a few hundred miles. Between rides I have noticed that the battery loses charge. I've read about the brake switch and recall, but the dealer says it was either taken care of or the bike was built after the trigger dates. I did check though, and there doesn't seem to be any significant draw across that fuse. What I DID find is a 5.4 amp draw across the amplifier fuse F3R. I removed the fuse, started the bike and the only thing I noticed not working WAS the amp. I'm not sure if there is a "keep alive" function built in, or if it is just an issue to trouble shoot. The other thing I noticed was a .1 amp draw across most of the other fuses in that right hand box. Has anyone else run into this ?

Ken

Spyder Garage

Those with some mechanical information will be on shortly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by klinderborg View Post
    What I DID find is a 5.4 amp draw across the amplifier fuse F3R. I removed the fuse, started the bike and the only thing I noticed not working WAS the amp.

Ken
    Holy Moly, that's a LOT!! Sounds like the amp still has its "power on" signal at key off... Like the bike isn't completely powering down the dash or??

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by klinderborg View Post
    Hi. Just purchased a 2023 RT LTD a couple of months ago. So far I've only ridden a few hundred miles. Between rides I have noticed that the battery loses charge. I've read about the brake switch and recall, but the dealer says it was either taken care of or the bike was built after the trigger dates. I did check though, and there doesn't seem to be any significant draw across that fuse. What I DID find is a 5.4 amp draw across the amplifier fuse F3R. I removed the fuse, started the bike and the only thing I noticed not working WAS the amp. I'm not sure if there is a "keep alive" function built in, or if it is just an issue to trouble shoot. The other thing I noticed was a .1 amp draw across most of the other fuses in that right hand box. Has anyone else run into this ?

Ken
    You would not be the first new owner that received a battery that wasn't properly charged by the Dealer ..... that also happened to me...... I would have it load tested and if it fails tell your dealer while it's still under warranty .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

New batteries should be fully charged before use. Most dealer don't prep the battery right. They install it and let the new owner ride it with the idea that will charge the battery. I’ve read where many new owners have battery problems. I did and replaced the battery making sure it’s fully charged and no problems afterwards.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2023 at 08:22 PM. Reason: do t ... ;-)
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do a forum search...Joel the biker had problems on his SeaToSky radio amp several years ago...He posted a step by step fix...larryd

Spyder Garage

70w draw is not right, I would double check that though by doing the test a couple of times. If the draw is still there then that is a problem. You did say that you've only got 300 miles over a couple of months if your not using a trickle charger then a low battery wouldn't be out of the question.
    2001 Honda CBR 929 (145k miles)
    2010 MV Agusta Brutale 990 (55k miles)
    2015 MV Agusta Brutale 675 (25k miles)
    2021 Spyder RT LTD (24k miles)

Spyder Garage

Check for amperage draw after about 45 minutes after shutdown. 5.4 amps is a huge amount, but the other draws might go off after some time. Also, it seems like all new Spyders are coming with Chinese batteries now instead of Yuasa. I have personally changed out at least 3 for friends. These batteries just plain do not hold a charge.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Jetfixer I would have suspected the battery if I hadn't found the amp issue. It could still be part of the problem, but the amperage draw needs to be dealt with first. When I first found it I thought it might be a retained power feature in the amp but even after an hour I get the same read out. According to the repair manual there is a switched "remote" wire. I think I'll track that down and see if it is providing voltage to keep the amp live.

Ken
    Current rides: '94 Goldwing SE; 2023 RT LTD
    Past rides: '67 Yamaha 250; '73 Honda 500 Four; '75 Honda CB750; '79 Suzuki GS 1000; '79 Harley Super Glide, '81 Suzuki GS 1100; '84 Goldwing Interstate

Spyder Garage

I think I saw a video from Shawn Smoak that had a 2021 that had that same issue. I believe he had to change out the amp. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Warranty is your best friend, use it.