Spyder Garage

Default 2010 Spyder RSS Speedometer Cluster fading after running... Ideas?

I have a 2010 Spyder RSS SE5 and I am having trouble with my digital multi-function gauge. The gauge will come on when I first start the engine but fades away after a few minutes. Has anyone encountered this?? If so is there a fix??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CLA67167 View Post
    I have a 2010 Spyder RSS SE5 and I am having trouble with my digital multi-function gauge. The gauge will come on when I first start the engine but fades away after a few minutes. Has anyone encountered this?? If so is there a fix??

You may be having the beginnings of battery failure. Electronics going funny are one of the signs. How old is your battery???

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Battery is at 1 year. Seems to start fine and run fine. All functions work it just does not show the functions on the screen. I am goint to take it to a shop next week and let them look at it for a loose connection. Will have them check the battery as well.

Spyder Garage

Do you leave your battery on a Tender or Maintainer when the Spyder's not actually in use?? That could easily be masking a dead or dying battery, and if it wasn't fully charged before installation, then 1 year old is more than old enough for it to be feeling tired... In fact, so is 1 month, 1 week, or even a 1 day!! You just don't know with batteries!

So getting a load test done on the battery is a good idea, but I'd also suggest you get them to test the charge side of the equation too. Your Spyder's Magneto style charge system might be getting a bit tired too, and not keeping up with the widely recognized High Power Demands of these Spyder thingies, so that once the 'surface charge' it's gained while waiting for your next ride gets used up, the system starts shutting down things like the dash.... You haven't also noticed that the Power Steering Assist drops off or becomes intermittent too, have you?? The DPS is a BIIIIG power user, IF it's working... and IIRC, there was a spate of DPS failures in Spyders made/released around the time yours hit the streets...

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-21-2023 at 06:48 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter from Austrailia! All good advice. I will have the shop check specifically on the battery and charging system.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CLA67167 View Post
    Thank you Peter from Austrailia! All good advice. I will have the shop check specifically on the battery and charging system.
    and make sure either they or you add STAR washers to the terminals ...... Spyders shake a lot..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 Spyder RTS-SE5 --- every warning light came on that you can think of. Dealership is guessing and BRP in Canada is really no help; call them to complain today. Dealership started with bleeding the brakes and that only took care of the brake failure warning. Now they have on order a Cluster, which is back ordered from Canada until 29-Nov. I really don't have any confidence in dealership as to what the true problem is. They never questioned the battery, but told me they placed a load on it, and it passed??? The BRP Part #710002799, so if anyone knows where to purchase and/or what dealer has one that we can get to install ourselves prior to 29-Nov - let me know where and who to contact. Once repaired - and based on lack of service on these units - I am going to sell it. It is just not worth the problems that BRP offers to their customers.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2023 at 10:08 PM. Reason: my ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hensmanj4220 View Post
    I have a 2011 Spyder RTS-SE5 --- every warning light came on that you can think of. Dealership is guessing and BRP in Canada is really no help; call them to complain today. Dealership started with bleeding the brakes and that only took care of the brake failure warning. Now they have on order a Cluster, which is back ordered from Canada until 29-Nov. I really don't have any confidence in dealership as to what the true problem is. They never questioned the battery, but told me they placed a load on it, and it passed??? The BRP Part #710002799, so if anyone knows where to purchase and/or what dealer has one that we can get to install ourselves prior to 29-Nov - let me know where and who to contact. Once repaired - and based on lack of service on these units - I am going to sell it. It is just not worth the problems that BRP offers to their customers.
    I really doubt you'll find too many spare 2011 Clusters just out there/hanging around the place unused, but I guess it's worth a shot - still, I just added another reply to your thread hensman; you might want to check it out -

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...75#post1685375

It just might help here too CLA, so could be worth checking??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!