Spyder Garage

Default RT Ltd Suspension fault - does it have a Schrader valve? Where? Ideas?

My 2022 RT Ltd has done less than 700 kms (< 450 miles) (bought it new 2 months ago). On the freeway on the last couple of days at 100 km/hr (60 mph) after about 10 km (6 m) I get the suspension fault icon flashing. No rough road or large bumps. I stopped, checked it over, all seemed OK restarted and the fault went away. The next day on the freeway, same thing happened. I couldn't detect any problem so kept going. After restarting the fault goes away.

There is nothing much in the Operator's Guide about this fault or the possible cause or what to do about it, except to take it to a dealer.
    I've read through previous threads on this forum where owners have had this problem and seems that the fault could be caused by a number of issues, some simple and others complex.

Can anyone let me know if my model has a Schrader valve and where to find it and how to access as a start.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2023 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Yes you have a Shrader valve, it's under the drivers seat and rather hard to get to. Raise the seat, peer back and under the right side of seat; back by where the hinge is; you will find a "disc" about the size of a half-dollar w/ the valve sticking out the top. It's difficult to get to, I have to use needle-nosed pliers.

If you want to check the air connections, you may have to remove the rear seat, detach the front seat gas shock, unbolt the hinge arms, and remove it. There is a plastic panel under the front seat with half a dozen, or so, plastic rivets; remove them, the C-clip holding the valve, the panel, and you will see some of the lines and connectors beneath.

The leveling arm is on the driver's side and you will have to look forward along the left swing arm to see it it's connected.

I watched a video of the new RTL's being uncrated and assembled years ago. The RTL's look a bit like the Ryker when they are uncrated; the rear tire & swing arm are exposed and the entire section with the side cases & top case has to be bolted onto it. I surmise that many of the problems involving the air ride (amongst a few other things) is caused by not connecting the leveling arm correctly during assemby & set-up.

I hope you find the problem.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

As spyderdave explained except that on my S2S I fitted a 6in flexible Schrader extension to the valve. I leave this permanently fitted, I double it back and tuck the end in beside the original valve. It's very handy for checking the pressure or topping up in case of pump failure or other problem.
    Alan.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2023 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Removed Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

x3 On checking the dog bone on the swing arm, make sure it hooked up correctly. But most of all it is a NEW bike, and you have a warranty, use it. They may have some setting in the computer set wrong and it will have to be hooked to BUDS to reset it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2023 at 12:33 AM. Reason: DDS ...
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    As spyderdave explained except that on my S2S I fitted a 6in flexible Schrader extension to the valve. I leave this permanently fitted, I double it back and tuck the end in beside the original valve. It's very handy for checking the pressure or topping up in case of pump failure or other problem.
    Alan.
    Awesome idea! It's on my "to do" list as of now.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. The Schrader valve extension is particularly clever. I have arranged to take the bike to the dealer next Wednesday and will update this thread with any findings.

Spyder Garage

Seconded for the schrader valve extension. Did this on our 2023 S2S using a 6 inch hose type off Amazon....makes it super simple to check the air pressure.

But really BRP has a level sensor it reads, surely there is a pressure sensor to guard against some idiot adding way too much pressure ??? if so then it would be a minor update to the ECU and gauge cluster to display it on one of the menus ???

my .02 cents
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    Seconded for the schrader valve extension. Did this on our 2023 S2S using a 6 inch hose type off Amazon....makes it super simple to check the air pressure.

But really BRP has a level sensor it reads, surely there is a pressure sensor to guard against some idiot adding way too much pressure ??? if so then it would be a minor update to the ECU and gauge cluster to display it on one of the menus ???

my .02 cents
    If you add air manually you can keep going till a fitting, hose or the bladder pops.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

An update on my problem. Just back from the dealer. The Tech said the problem was a loose bolt in the suspension actuator and that he's seen this previously.
    The bolt is in under where the passenger footpeg is on the LHS.
    All seemed OK on the way home from the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart1234 View Post
    An update on my problem. Just back from the dealer. The Tech said the problem was a loose bolt in the suspension actuator and that he's seen this previously.
    have to read between the lines. what he meant to say was bolt was never hooked up in prep setup. don't want to incriminate any shop employee's
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart1234 View Post
    As Woodaddict says above, that's the Levelling arm/dog bone/height sensor actuator that's been mentioned earlier, and many MANY times on this Forum & every other Forum/site that discusses Spyders.

It's most likely that whoever assembled your Spyder at the dealer's when it was new 'just forgot' to put the bolt in to connect it to the swing arm, or if they did put it in, they didn't tighten it properly and it worked loose over time (Yeah, right! Have you seen how much locktite BRP puts on everything?! )

But at its most basic, this is a failure on behalf of the tech doing the assembling of your Spyder when it was new. I hope you didn't get charged for fixing it?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

If you don't know how to view the fault codes on the bike's display you should learn. When you get a warning pull over, do not shut off the bike, pull up the fault codes on the display and take a picture of them with your phone to show the service tech. Someone recently posted how to pull up the fault codes using the joy stick but I can't find the thread. I think it was in one of the recent VSS fault threads. It's also in your owners manual.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

For me the fault was C102A if I remember correctly. The bike was a new 2021 RT LTD. The ride height actuator arm was not connected. The resulting continuously running pump then failed. And there was air leaks. The pressure release valve was faulty too.

After 5 months in the shop (well there was Covid supply chain issues over that winter) they eventually replaced everything. Before that every time it got 10 miles from the dealer it threw codes. It was always the same, unloading the suspension over freeway bridges would start things off. Surface streets fine, canyons fine, freeways 5 miles and the code would come back. It went away every time you turned off the bike. It didn't store it for future retrieval.

Poor tech just about tore his hair out every time I would bring it back. He'd fix the next bit, he'd road test the heck out of it, hand it back and then it would fail again. So they replaced everything basically as a kit and now it works fine.

So, I'd keep an eye on things, my pump was obviously stressed by continually running and probably overheating. You may be luckier than I was.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver