Spyder Garage

Default Can I increase the Oil Change Interval with Amsol Oil?

I am planning to change to Amsoil MCF 10/40 oil on my next change. I have 2011 Can Am RT-S and change oil every 3500 miles as recommended. My question is could I increase the mileage interval with the Amsoil oil. I am not trying to be cheap but I do not change my own oil and am quite a distance away from dealership or independent mechanic. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-19-2023 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Generally, synthetic oil is good to at least twice the recommended change interval, or 7000 miles in your case. I know I just made a sweeping generalization. Let the griping begin...
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My ride is a 1330 so my recommended oil change is different than yours. I change my oil and filter at 10k (manufacturer recommends 9300) but 10k is easier to chart out and my spyder and the oil don't really give a dam. My oil analysis comes back for me the same at 9300 as for 10000. I'm guessing you run at a higher RPM than I do so your oil is going to take a heavier beating than mine and that may require an oil change more often than mine. Send your oil in for an analysis and that will give you the true answer you seek. I use Napa, and if I remember it only cost $15 bucks. I run Amsoil 10/40.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 09-19-2023 at 01:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    I have 2011 Can Am RT-S and change oil every 3500 miles as recommended.
    A number of years ago BRP changed the mileage for oil changes on the 998 motors to 4600 miles. For what it's worth, Amsoil says, in their literature, you can double the recommended mileage when using their oil. Not so sure I would do that, but they do say that.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

My question to you is How many miles do you do in a year? If it's 5-6000, I would go for it, but you will have to add oil between, because they do use some.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    My question to you is How many miles do you do in a year? If it's 5-6000, I would go for it, but you will have to add oil between, because they do use some.
    I usually do around 8K, but I might do more now on the 3 wheeler. I think I will try to stretch it out to about 5000-5500 for oil change which would help.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I wouldn't let an oil change go more than 5,000 miles; oil is cheaper than a motor (a new 1330 is $11,499.00)

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't let an oil change go more than 5,000 miles; oil is cheaper than a motor (a new 1330 is $11,499.00)
    I understand and agree with you. I am not trying to be cheap but I am about 2 hours away to get an oil change. But I can live with 5000 miles. Thanks for all the responses.

Spyder Garage

We get each oil change analyzed on our own bikes. I have done several on my 998 using Amsoil 10/40. Here is what I have found.

I generally change oil in my 998 at 6,500 miles. However, each time I get it analyzed I am told I could easily go another 2,000 miles.

We have customers who regularly go 10,000 miles on Amsoil 10/40 in their 1330 engines. The ones we've had analyzed showed the oil in very good condition at this mileage.

With Amsoil, you do not need to change the oil every season. I know this goes against the grain. But this is something that I have proven to myself with actual events. This is true even here in East Tennessee (high humidity and wide temperature changes). With more arid environments, it would be even less of an issue.

I actually let my 998 sit for 4.5 years with 3,500 miles on the previous oil change. When I got it running again, I had that oil analyzed. It came out exactly the same as previous tests at the same mileage, (having been only a short time in the engine). Amsoil claims that their products are extremely good at preventing any kind of deterioration or additional engine wear due to contaminants. I inadvertently proved them much more correct than I'd imagined.

If you change your oil at 4,500 mi. (or less) intervals. Amsoil is probably a waste of your money. Most any oil will give you decent protection for that length of time. Though I would change it every season as recommended by most lubricants.

There are several reasons I run and recommend Amsoil. 2 of them are that if I go on a long trip, I don't have to find someone to do an oil service along the way. And I no longer worry about changing oil every season regardless of mileage.

Many think that if you use Amsoil. You have to add Amsoil, if it is ever needed. But this is not true. Any oil appropriate for your Spyder is just fine added to Amsoil. So, if you're on the road and you need to add some (common with the 998, rare with the 1330). You can put Pennzoil, Castrol, whatever is appropriate in and there will be zero issues.

I think Amsoil is a great option.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-19-2023 at 03:21 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

X2
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    We get each oil change analyzed on our own bikes. I have done several on my 998 using Amsoil 10/40. Here is what I have found.
    I generally change oil in my 998 at 6,500 miles. However, each time I get it analyzed I am told I could easily go another 2,000 miles.
    I think Amsoil is a great option.
    LOL.........yes I've heard that and by the time you reach the recommended oil change mileage on a 998, you've added so much oil over that length of time you don't have any of the original oil in there any longer so there is no real need to change it. Just change the filter. I'm kidding of course.

Spyder Garage

I change mine once a year. The last change was with Amsoil. I don't put much mileage on. But, the book says once a year. Or, 9300 miles. I will travel to BAJARONS for my oil changes. Amsoil full synthetic is $75 less than dealers BRP oil change. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    LOL.........yes I've heard that and by the time you reach the recommended oil change mileage on a 998, you've added so much oil over that length of time you don't have any of the original oil in there any longer so there is no real need to change it. Just change the filter. I'm kidding of course.
    I know you are just poking fun at the relatively high oil usage of the 998 Rotax engine. Probably well deserved.

I end up adding about 3/4 quart to my 998 GS in 6,500 miles. This compared to the normal zero add to a 1330 in 10,000 miles.

Though the 998 does use some oil. There are things you can do to reduce oil use. Like using a better 10/40, full synthetic. But the biggest improvement may be a crankcase breather mod. Without this, you are continually putting oil into your airbox. Which not only increases oil usage, but can create throttle body issues and carbon buildup on your intake valves over time.

The 3/4 quart I add between service works out to about a 17% replacement factor. But people using other lubricants are doing the same thing. And without the crankcase mod, they are probably adding more than 17%. Yet Amsoil still tests out much better than many other brands. Even more so if you are using a 5/40 viscosity.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-20-2023 at 05:23 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BajaRon;1686483] ''We get each oil change analyzed on our own bikes. I have done several on my 998 using Amsoil 10/40. Here is what I have found. I generally change oil in my 998 at 6,500 miles. However, each time I get it analyzed I am told I could easily go another 2,000 miles. We have customers who regularly go 10,000 miles on Amsoil 10/40 in their 1330 engines. The ones we've had analyzed showed the oil in very good condition at this mileage.''

Many years ago I read in Mechanix Illustrated that multi-weight oils beyond 10/30w contained additives that built up over time in the ring grooves and resulted in ring function failure and even fracture. I'm hoping that has been overcome today.

Spyder Garage

2014 RTS 75000 miles use Amsoil 20/50 9300 mile oil changes no problems your talking from personal experience I take it

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=2dogs;1686577]
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    ''We get each oil change analyzed on our own bikes. I have done several on my 998 using Amsoil 10/40. Here is what I have found. I generally change oil in my 998 at 6,500 miles. However, each time I get it analyzed I am told I could easily go another 2,000 miles. We have customers who regularly go 10,000 miles on Amsoil 10/40 in their 1330 engines. The ones we've had analyzed showed the oil in very good condition at this mileage.''

Many years ago I read in Mechanix Illustrated that multi-weight oils beyond 10/30w contained additives that built up over time in the ring grooves and resulted in ring function failure and even fracture. I'm hoping that has been overcome today.
    Lubricants have come a long way over the years. They did have problems with the early multi-grade oils. They broke down quickly and were not very good lubricants. I have never witnessed, or heard of, the problem you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    2014 RTS 75000 miles use Amsoil 20/50 9300 mile oil changes no problems your talking from personal experience I take it
    I know you run 20/50 Rudy. I think we have discussed this. I wouldn't recommend it in Canada. But I don't think it will necessarily hurt anything. Rotax recommends 20/50 for the Aprilia which uses the same 998 V-Twin used in the original Spyders up through 2016. As for my statements about mileage. Those numbers come from my personal 2008 GS Spyder. I think that is what you were asking.

Spyder Garage

Indeed it has been fixed. The article we both remember (I'm showing my age) pertained to stretching the abilities of natural petroleum oil. Most of us Spyder Lovers run full-synthetic oils which have powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal lubricants.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar