Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Sherwood Park/Edmonton to Sandpoint Idaho and return

This was the first long trip for me and my Spyder (I haven't done any highway bike riding before); we left about 9:00 AM Tues. Sept 12 and stopped in Essex, Montana almost 600 miles later. (Couldn't find a room in Browning). Next day down through Kalispell and up to Sandpoint using the westerly route. Thursday was a R&R day in Sandpoint. Friday Sandpoint to Airdrie, Alberta (through Cranbook and Radium) and home by Saturday noon. 2173 km and 1358 miles. My bike now has 2938 km and 1836 miles.

Beautiful riding weather; cool in the morning and warmer by noon about 75F/24C. Rain for the first 30 minutes and sunny and clear after that. Saw a flock of 6 turkeys South of Sandpoint, another 1 as we were going east/north out of Sandpoint and a ruffed grouse near Bonner's fairy. The leaves are starting to turn color so beautiful scenery. Bonus was an antique (muscle car show in Radium, BC) we saw approximately 100 cars in Radium and on the highway.

Day 2 to my return home, I have weak wrists and fingers, but cruise control helped keep that to a minimum. The ride was quite comfortable even at or above the speed limit on the divided highways (145 kph/90 mph) occasionally when passing. I did not hit the top speed limiter.

My Spyder had about 760 km/475 miles on it prior to the trip and I didn't like the feel of the front end at highway speed; checked out the wear pattern on the front and rear tire and the edges were not contacting the road. I checked the tire pressure, and it was 23.5 psi front and 28 psi rear. Reduced the front to 15 psi, and the rear to 26 psi. and the Spyder settled right down.

No issues with the Spyder other than the VSS alert on every startup, so next week it's in for its first service and a new battery (this chinese battery tested 260 cca/vs 300cca) before the trip and turned over slowly after a short trip.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-03-2024 at 06:04 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Andy, sounds like a great trip.

I reside in St Albert in the summer, and Phoenix in the winter, and shipped my 2022 F3-S Special in Mamba Green (just like yours) to Phoenix this season.

I have done a few mods to mine to accommodate longer highway trips and more "spirited" driving (my daily drivers are a 911 in Edmonton and Boxster S in Phoenix). In addition to an F4 Custom windshield for highway riding, a Baja Ron sway-bar and links, backrests for both my wife and myself, a new BRP High-end seat (previously the Cannonball seat), a few other odds and sods, AND a PedalBox + (the BR Sway-bar and PedalBox are absolutely the best performance upgrades, THIS IS how the F3-S's should perform out of the box IMHO).

My next upgrades will be Elka shocks front & rear (debating to buy here in the US, or wait until spring and buy in Canada), and some performance tires as the Kendas are pretty crappy IMHO.

Anyways, I would be interested in riding with you one or twice if you are interested... let me know.

BTW, the roads and driving routes down here in Phoenix are AWESOME! https://www.motorcycleroads.com/moto...des-in/arizona

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rdersch View Post
    Andy, sounds like a great trip.

I reside in St Albert in the summer, and Phoenix in the winter, and shipped my 2022 F3-S Special in Mamba Green (just like yours) to Phoenix this season.

I have done a few mods to mine to accommodate longer highway trips and more "spirited" driving (my daily drivers are a 911 in Edmonton and Boxster S in Phoenix). In addition to an F4 Custom windshield for highway riding, a Baja Ron sway-bar and links, backrests for both my wife and myself, a new BRP High-end seat (previously the Cannonball seat), a few other odds and sods, AND a PedalBox + (the BR Sway-bar and PedalBox are absolutely the best performance upgrades, THIS IS how the F3-S's should perform out of the box IMHO).

My next upgrades will be Elka shocks front & rear (debating to buy here in the US, or wait until spring and buy in Canada), and some performance tires as the Kendas are pretty crappy IMHO.

Anyways, I would be interested in riding with you one or twice if you are interested... let me know.

BTW, the roads and driving routes down here in Phoenix are AWESOME! https://www.motorcycleroads.com/moto...des-in/arizona
    I missed your post earlier but I am sure we can hook up next summer for a couple of rides. I am also interested in upgrading the front springs/shocks. I have an inquiry in with accelerated technologies to see if they have a dual spring package for our F3S or a stage 3 Elka package? Both Accelelerated technologies and Elka are Canadian and Accelerated is an Elka dealer who can set up the package for your weight and driving style.
    Happy New Year in Phoenix so far not much snow here so we went down to Fernie for some trail riding after Christmas.