Spyder Garage

Default Can anyone tell me how to Disable the VSS on 2008 GS

Hi I am new. I have a 2008 GS SM5 that my wife bought me last Spring. I have never ridden it! The seller was not truthful about the trike's condition. It had been setting for seven years inhabited by large rodents. Wiring chewed all over the trike, fuel system clogged and rusted, a dead battery, dead DPS. A huge number of error codes. I have fixed all that. It now runs in limp home mode. With 5 error codes 3 ECM and 2 VSS. I can find no further problems in the wiring. I would love to ride someday. I can't get it to a dealership or pay them if I did. So, I saw this Forum and thought this could be a solution disabling the VSS. Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to do this?
    Thank you. wtmjr.
    Frustrated in New Mexico
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine related/specific & expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Please do not disable. Major safety issues. With what you describe there is possibly just something lingering with the sensors. What are the codes please. On getting as far as you have!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 03:45 PM. Reason: .

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Please do not disable. Major safety issues. With what you describe there is possibly just something lingering with the sensors. What are the codes please. On getting as far as you have!
    Thank you for you quick reply and kind words. The error codes changed. They are now C0040 this is the brake switch I believe. It comes and goes. I don't think this one is going to be a problem. U0100 and C051. I just replaced the DPS this removed the DPS code I was getting. I bought an OBD ProgMoto 100 to clear codes. It works for that. I don't have access to BUDS.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

crud in the brake actuator will eventually cause a Limp Home code. The Spyder thinks you are riding the brake. When you shut the bike off...does the brake lights stay on?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi, thanks for the replies everyone. I don't feel so alone with this problem. The taillights stay on, but the brake lights cycle properly.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 03:47 PM. Reason: break...

Spyder Garage

According to spyder codes; C0040: brake switch, U0100: can bus communications error ( also recommends checking TXM & ECM.) yes will need buds. & one that will look at older units. Unfortunately my local opted only newer. & just for lil more clarity there is a DESS & VSS - security (push mode button)vs control & stabilization hope this helps
    **Depending how close & if available may wanna try Ann & Joe https://www.ads.spyderlovers.com/ads....php?zoneid=32. You will be needing a laser alignment afterwards too, & they quite knowledgeable & very helpful
    Last edited by Bfromla; 09-16-2023 at 03:57 PM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

It would be extremely dangerous to disable the VSS system on a Spyder. I know everyone thinks they can handle it. But the professional test riders at Can-Am were quite adamant that you just didn't want to try that at home. They said 'It will toss you like a lawn dart'.

Sometimes the problem with a bad DPS is a poor ground wire connection. The ground wire can get pretty grungy and corroded where it is located. But you are well beyond that now.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yes, I got the DPS fixed. Before I did, I read online about the ground problem with DPS units. So I cleaned the connections, no dice. Then I ran another ground directly from the battery. Still no dice. But I luckily found a 2013 DPS online that fixed that problem. I read a post on another Forum, I think. Someone bought a 2008 GS SM5 and rode it for 2000 miles with the DPS and VSS disabled. He said it runs great, but he is meticulous about machines being proper, and asked in that Forum for help restoring both to functionality. He posted some pictures showing 2 wires spliced in. Unfortunately, neither the photos nor the text explained where exactly the wires were spliced. I am not saying you are wrong about the danger, just that I don't have the ability or money to take it to a dealer. There is a dealership in Albuquerque about a hundred miles away, but it wouldn't matter if it was just 5 miles. I don't have a trailer or a vehicle with a hitch. I just want to ride this thing. Even if it requires extreme caution.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)