Spyder Garage

Default Centrifugal Clutch engaging early - 800 RPM - ideas why?

Hello,
    I just completed a 3,100 mile trip on my 2018 RTL. On the last leg, about 320 mi, I noticed that the Centrifugal clutch was starting to engage at Rev's as low as 800 RPM. When I increased the engine RPM the clutch would fully engage as it should. But each time I stopped, if I didn't put the transmission in neutral, the clutch would drag. I tried to minimize this situation by taking it into neutral each time I stopped.
    I really don't have any idea what would cause this? Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-14-2023 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Just starting with the obvious, have you checked your oil level and how old is your oil?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gridley View Post
    Hello,
    I just completed a 3,100 mile trip on my 2018 RTL. On the last leg, about 320 mi, I noticed that the Centrifugal clutch was starting to engage at Rev's as low as 800 RPM. When I increased the engine RPM the clutch would fully engage as it should. But each time I stopped, if I didn't put the transmission in neutral, the clutch would drag. I tried to minimize this situation by taking it into neutral each time I stopped.
    I really don't have any idea what would cause this? Help would be greatly appreciated.
    I would remind everybody - including the OP - that the clutch on a 2018 1330 engine is NOT a centrifugal clutch. It is a hydraulic clutch and engagement is electronically controlled by commands from the Transmission Control Module. Oil level is NA to a 1330, but if you are due for an oil change or HCM filter change, it would be a good idea to get that done. I would also wonder what oil you are using, in case you are dealing with a mechanical issue with the clutch itself. What I think you really have, Gridley, is a clutch that is not fully DISENGAGING when it is supposed to be - that is, when the TCM tells it to be - even though it appears to be TRYING to disengage. That could be a hydraulic or mechanical issue with the guts of the clutch itself. You might want to get that into the shop.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Doug,
    Thank you for the info. I had no idea the clutch on the 2018 RTs was not centrifugal. The symptoms would make sense with that explanation. There is no way I could fathom an centrifugal clutch exhibiting these symptoms.
    I have about 6830 mi on a CAN-AM dealer oil change. The machine has about 29,450 mi on it. When I checked the oil it was full. As far as I know the HCM filter is original. I think changing the HCM filter would be a good place to start. Do all the 1330 RTs have the hydraulic clutch?
    I called my local CAN-AM dealer and talked to the service department. I mentioned the symptoms and he didn't have any ideas what it could be. I will ask him about it with this new information.
    Thank you so much for your help.
    Have a blessed day,
    Tim Henry

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gridley View Post
    Doug,
    Thank you for the info. I had no idea the clutch on the 2018 RTs was not centrifugal. The symptoms would make sense with that explanation. There is no way I could fathom an centrifugal clutch exhibiting these symptoms.
    I have about 6830 mi on a CAN-AM dealer oil change. The machine has about 29,450 mi on it. When I checked the oil it was full. As far as I know the HCM filter is original. I think changing the HCM filter would be a good place to start. Do all the 1330 RTs have the hydraulic clutch?
    I called my local CAN-AM dealer and talked to the service department. I mentioned the symptoms and he didn't have any ideas what it could be. I will ask him about it with this new information.
    Thank you so much for your help.
    Have a blessed day,
    Tim Henry
    My experience with the HCM filter is ... I changed mine at 34,000 miles & still have the same filter at 78,000 miles..... No issues that I know of ..... It will be changed this fall ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-21-2023 at 09:59 PM. Reason: expewrience ... :-D

Spyder Garage

Tim, the HCM filter is due to be changed at 28K miles IAW the maintenance schedule. Many of us 1330 ACE Spyder owners who've switched to full synthetic oil find the transmission shifts smother than with the Can-Am oil. I've used Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W-40 and Amsoil Metric 10W-40 and much prefer the latter because it will easily go the 9,300 mile change interval and the viscosity does not shear down the way the Mobil 1 did. In motorcycle engines and transmission systems that share the same oil, the transmission gears beat the oil hard and that contributes significantly to the viscosity shearing. I have the oil analyzed at each change and the Amsoil Metric always retains a high 30 viscosity. Good luck, Jay.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S