Spyder Garage

Default What does this belt tension translate to in ft/lbs?

From my 2013 maintenance manual on belt tension, what does this translate to in ft/lbs?

DRIVE BELT TENSION
    (PARTS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE AND
    REAR OF VEHICLE LIFTED)
    1050 N ± 150 N
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-14-2023 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Rick. It’s not foot-pounds. It’s just plain pounds, which is short hand for pounds-force. Standard conversion between newtons to pounds force. You can find on line.

https://www.unitconverters.net/force/newtons-to-lbs.htm

In this case, 1050 newtons is 236 pounds-force. But remember, the BRP spec is based on lifting up the Spyder by the frame, and allowing the swing arm to drop until it stops and the rear wheel is off the floor. That relaxes the tension on the belt compared to when the Spyder is on the floor. Don’t ask me what the change in the two values is. I haven’t done that “on the floor” - “off the floor” comparison. Because I don’t care about it.

Most folks check their belt tension with a Cricket, with the wheel on the the floor. 160 - 180 pounds with the Cricket, with the wheel on the floor provides plenty of tension, is way below the maximum allowable tension, and helps minimize vibration. Mike has been running around at 160 for years. No issues. I had to adjust my alignment and ended up at 180. Runs great….and no whining.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 09-14-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks much Snowbelt Spyder. That makes it plain as day
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hey Rick. It’s not foot-pounds. It’s just plain pounds, which is short hand for pounds-force. Standard conversion between newtons to pounds force. You can find on line.

https://www.unitconverters.net/force/newtons-to-lbs.htm

In this case, 1050 newtons is 236 pounds-force. But remember, the BRP spec is based on lifting up the Spyder by the frame, and allowing the swing arm to drop until it stops and the rear wheel is off the floor. That relaxes the tension on the belt compared to when the Spyder is on the floor. Don’t ask me what the change in the two values is. I haven’t done that “on the floor” - “off the floor” comparison. Because I don’t care about it.

Most folks check their belt tension with a Cricket, with the wheel on the the floor. 160 - 180 pounds with the Cricket, with the wheel on the floor provides plenty of tension, is way below the maximum allowable tension, and helps minimize vibration. Mike has been running around at 160 for years. No issues. I had to adjust my alignment and ended up at 180. Runs great….and no whining.
    .... 160 lbs & I don't feel any Belt-caused vibes ...... 14 RT .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-14-2023 at 11:26 PM. Reason: do... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Well I check the tension with the Cricket around 3 times and it was 120, so adjusted it to 160 and even got the belt to ride between 1/16 and 1/8 from the inside of the rear pulley. Thanks for the input on this issue
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010