Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What tire size is best for the Can-Am Spyder RT 2022 model?

I am driving a Can-Am Spyder RT 2022.

Currently, a 30mm spacer is installed on the front and a tuned 6J wheel is installed. The front is equipped with Tire size 195/50R15

Rear tire
    205/60R15
    205/65R15
    215/65R15

Can these 3 tires be installed on the Can-Am RT?
    Last edited by kongdoly; 09-13-2023 at 03:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

There's no effective difference between the tires/tire sizes that'll fit the 2022+ Spyder models (any RT's & F3's ) and all the other 2013+ Spyder models...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    I am driving a Can-Am Spyder RT 2022.

Currently, a 30mm spacer is installed on the front and a tuned 6J wheel is installed. The front is equipped with Tire size 195/50R15

Rear tire
    205/60R15
    205/65R15
    215/65R15

Can these 3 tires be installed on the Can-Am RT?
    You left out the 215/60R15, which is a very nice tire size for the back of the Spyder.

There is also an Altimax in 225/60R15 which brings you back to the original width, gives you a taller tire (speedo correction) and is excellent in the rain.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Can you tell us what model/series Altimax would be best for the 2022 RT? Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tobizzy View Post
    Can you tell us what model/series Altimax would be best for the 2022 RT? Thank you.
    The Altimax 43 (discontinued but you may still find one somewhere) or the replacement Altimax 45 model. Both work very well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You left out the 215/60R15, which is a very nice tire size for the back of the Spyder.

There is also an Altimax in 225/60R15 which brings you back to the original width, gives you a taller tire (speedo correction) and is excellent in the rain.
    There is no 225/60r15 in Korea. There is also no 215/60r15. There are many 215/65R15s. Will there be any problem if I install 215/65R15 on the Can-Am RT?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    There's no effective difference between the tires/tire sizes that'll fit the 2022+ Spyder models (any RT's & F3's ) and all the other 2013+ Spyder models...
    I currently dismantled the top box at the back. I plan to ride alone. So, would it be okay to go with 215/65R15?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    I currently dismantled the top box at the back. I plan to ride alone. So, would it be okay to go with 215/65R15?
    YES ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    YES ......Mike
    thank you.!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

I just got back from a dealer who installed my 225/60/15 Altimax. Everything went fine until I got home and read the repair order. Here is what they wrote. "Rear tire will cause the speedo to read incorrectly. Aspect ratio of tire was wrong (wrong tire size) sidewall is bigger and the wheel diameter is larger which MAY cause extra/premature wear on the belt and pulleys along with vehicle speed being off. I do not recommend doing this". The Spyder is my wife's ride and she is now very concerned that I did this. Can you comment on this opinion. Was it just a CYA?

Dealer has been very good to us and was the only one in 60 miles that would mount a customer's car tire.
    Last edited by Bumble_B; 12-15-2023 at 03:18 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble_B View Post
    I just got back from a dealer who installed my 225/60/15 Altimax. Everything went fine until I got home and read the repair order. Here is what they wrote. "Rear tire will cause the speedo to read incorrectly. Aspect ratio of tire was wrong (wrong tire size) sidewall is bigger and the wheel diameter is larger which MAY cause extra/premature wear on the belt and pulleys along with vehicle speed being off. I do not recommend doing this". The Spyder is my wife's ride and she is now very concerned that I did this. Can you comment on this opinion. Was it just a CYA?

Dealer has been very good to us and was the only one in 60 miles that would mount a customer's car tire.
    WELL the dealer PUT it on!!! Must not be that bad anyhow!! So, to address these issues. Dealer wants to sell you a Kenda for MORE money,,, not going to hurt belt, pulleys,, Aspect ratio actually corrects the speedo better. Many Spyders are running these different aspect ratio's and have no problems for years, corrects the speedo to being more right on. The Spyder will just be fine
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

All will be well (better) with the Altimax. At least they didn't state that it would void your warranty

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

While they are absolutely correct in that the tire isn't the exact same size/spec as the OEM tire (which is basically a 'not really great quality or well made' lightweight version of a car tire in an odd size so that you can't readily go anywhere else to replace it with any better alternative in exactly the same size ) they've simply toe-ed the corporate line with a lot of their statement, and at least some of it is demonstrably WRONG!!

Here, I'll fix it for you:

"Rear tire will cause the speedo to read closer to your correct/true speed. Aspect ratio of tire is different to OEM as the sidewall is taller so the wheel rolling diameter is slightly larger, which teamed with the stronger construction and better quality control during the tire manufacture, WILL provide better traction, ride, rider comfort, handling, braking, suspension compliance, puncture & road hazard resistance, and more; and while it MAY cause barely measurable extra/premature wear on the belt and pulleys along with the indicated vehicle speed & fuel economy/range etc. being closer to correct/true, the former wear concerns haven't yet been shown to occur on any of the thousands if not tens of thousands of Spyders already running similar sized tires successfully over many tens of thousands of miles. But because we are good corporate members toe-ing the company line in order to boost dealer & manufacturer profits, I do not recommend doing this."

So yeah, it's an exercise in Dealer CYA and a sop to BRP demands, who really frown on dealers fitting anything but their preferred but OEM option, so I really hope you haven't mentioned WHO your dealer is or even provided enough info for anyone to hazard a guess as to who they might be anywhere on the internet, cos if you have, there's a pretty good chance that they'll be getting a stern talking to from BRP in the near future about doing this, and as a result, either they'll stop fitting owner preferred/alternative tires entirely, or as evidenced in earlier posts on this subject here on the Forum, they'll choose or be forced to stop dealing in Spyders entirely....

Marginally larger/higher profile better quality a/mkt car tires run at an appropriate (lower) pressure of about 16-18 psi in order to suit the (lower) weight they're carrying when fitted to a 'lighter than a car' Spyder should see the a/mkt tire you've had fitted out-performing the OEM tires in all respects; so really, your wife shouldn't be concerned at all. In fact, she should be relieved and pleased that you care enough and consider her comfort and safety enough to choose to fit a tire to her Spyder that will out-perform the OEM tire in all respects, apart from that of making more profit for the dealer/manufacturer!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-15-2023 at 09:14 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Legally speaking I was COURT certified to provide EXPERT testimony in criminal and civil trails concerning among other things what tires do during accidents .... That Tech has no expertise about Tires - PERIOD ..... I found and recommended that tire 8 years ago .... Mike

Spyder Garage

In simple terms, the tech thinks he covered his butt in the event the Spyder were involved in a wreck or lawsuit. Unfortunately, if the tech were asked in court why he still did the install, knowing it did not meet his own approval, very likely he would be found negligent. With that, the tech probably has shallow pockets, and the lawyers would go for the money.

Sometimes, when doing work order items on aircraft, the words from the tech can be similar and as a tech we inform the owner. If the owner elects not to accomplish correcting the discrepancy, the squawk is signed off as customer elects to take as is, but often the actual airworthiness sign off for the entire aircraft to return to service is not done. There is a bit more paperwork, but you get the idea.

Have your wife ride smart and all should be fine. Ride like a clown and bad things happen.
    Last edited by PMK; 12-16-2023 at 08:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

PMK, also he expressed his concerns after completing the job at the end of the 2nd page of the repair order and verbally not one employee said anything before or during the job.

Spyder Garage

Peter, no one on here knows who the dealer is. My selling dealer lied to our face about a recall repair done improperly causing a no start condition 1300 miles from home. Dealer up north confirmed improper repair. Local selling dealer was rude and would not participate in helping with expenses. I guess I wish it was my never to set foot in again local dealer. I would Capitalize their name on here.
    Last edited by Bumble_B; 12-16-2023 at 09:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Legally speaking I was COURT certified to provide EXPERT testimony in criminal and civil trails concerning among other things what tires do during accidents .... That Tech has no expertise about Tires - PERIOD ..... I found and recommended that tire 8 years ago .... Mike
    Yes, had the 215 size on the 2014 after your posts. Also, use your strap the rear tire trailering method for the last 4 trips totaling 12000 miles and it never budged. Although strapping this bigger tire might be a little tougher on the fingers.

Spyder Garage

PMK, also he expressed his concerns after completing the job at the end of the 2nd page of the repair order and verbally not one employee said anything before or during the job.
    The tech knows the tire works and is confident in it. His written words are his crutch if needed. His unspoken words should promote confidence.

Spyder Garage

Yes, had the 215 size on the 2014 after your posts. Also, use your strap the rear tire trailering method for the last 4 trips totaling 12000 miles and it never budged. Although strapping this bigger tire might be a little tougher on the fingers.
    The big question in my mind Bumble_B is what pressure did the tech inflate the tire. I bet its way too high.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

told them 22 psi, just dropped it to 20 psi

Spyder Garage

told them 22 psi, just dropped it to 20 psi
    Try 17-18 psi ..... I use 17 and ride aggressively ( this seems to be a good compromise between performance and COMFORT ) .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I run the 215/65R15 on my RT S2S. Its about 1" taller than the OEM tire, which brings the speed indicated on the dash to within 1/mph of what is indicated on my cell phone GPS. Stock the dash is always 3-4 mph under that which the GPS shows.

Spyder Garage

^^^ Believe you mean “ Stock, the dash is always reading 3-4 mph over that which the GPS shows”.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davgill2002 View Post
    I run the 215/65R15 on my RT S2S. Its about 1" taller than the OEM tire, which brings the speed indicated on the dash to within 1/mph of what is indicated on my cell phone GPS. Stock the dash is always 3-4 mph under that which the GPS shows.
    the 225/60/15 just installed made the speedometer read exactly what the GPS was saying.