Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rides like a snowmobile

Hi guy's, I just bought a 2011 Spyder RT with 50K in good shape the problem is, it rides like a snowmobile. I did change the sway bar with Baja Ron's bar it did help but still sways. I was going to do the shocks but at the price for Elka's no way. There must be another brand of shocks out there that will fit at a lower price. This is my first 3 wheel and would like it to handle a lot better.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum flash. I really dunno what you're concerned about, it's a SPYDER... so it IS effectively a Snow Mobile, only on wheels instead of skis & a track.... :

Still, in quite a few cases, especially with a 'new to Spyders' rider, the 'sway' that often gets complained about on these things is often due to the rider tensing up with a death grip on the bars & then over-correcting to compensate &/or avoid every little lurch or bump in the road.... often because with 2 wheels up front that they can clearly see, they're concentrating on all the obstacles & hazards & bumps & things they can see on the road close up in front &/or trying to correct for every little change &/or dodge every little obstacle' instead of looking waaaaayyyy out ahead; scanning back to the front of the Spyder along the path they intend to follow; and then with a loose grip on the bars, dropped elbows & shoulders, gently guiding the Spyder along that path they've planned out.

But if you really want to go with different shocks, there are a bunch of other options besides Elka's - off the top of my head, there's M2's & Wilburs readily available over your way that are juuust as good as the Elkas (if not better?? ) and usually a little cheaper & often mentioned here on the Forum; there's Fox Shocks, that are usually a fair bit cheaper but not so good as any of the others; and a growing band of Spyder Ryders who've found and like IKON's, that are, at least IMHO (& that of quite a few others too! ) as good as the expensive shocks & not much more expensive than the Fox Shocks.... well, at least here in Oz they aren't as expensive! Me, I'm running fully adjustable IKON's on my 2013 RT Ltd.

Over to you.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

You can always get rid of the suspension lean by replacing the front shocks with steel bars. Quick, easy, & CHEAP! Then your Spyder can't lean. But it will still sway if one tire goes into a dip in the road and the other runs over a hump.

In short, the Spyder is going to sway no matter what you do. Because you have 2 front tires that must follow the terrain they pass over. The 'problem' you describe is much more mental than it is a machine defect. Over time, the mental component will resolve itself and you'll be a happy camper. Until then, don't spend anymore money. Take Peter's advice and relax. Don't fight the machine. You'll lose every time.

As they say, 'This too will pass'. Just give it some time (and miles)
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-12-2023 at 07:44 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO the amount of " LEAN " that any Spyder does while being operated " at speed " is so small it's not a factor. It never surprises me to read what folks who " Just bought a Spyder " will say about " the handling " annnnnnnnnd how it can be cured/fixed etc. ..... On my 14 RT if I STAND up, grab the bars and rock left to right, there will be a bit of LEAN ..... however this DOES NOT OCCUR DURING RIDING. I come to this conclusion AFTER putting almost 200,000 miles on various Spyders. Again JMHO..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flash2002 View Post
    Hi guy's, I just bought a 2011 Spyder RT with 50K in good shape the problem is, it rides like a snowmobile. I did change the sway bar with Baja Ron's bar it did help but still sways. I was going to do the shocks but at the price for Elka's no way. There must be another brand of shocks out there that will fit at a lower price. This is my first 3 wheel and would like it to handle a lot better.
    I have not seen a "rides like a snowmobile" post in a few years. You mention you have a 2011 RT. That was the "second generation" of Spyders. 08 - 09 saw the GS and RS models. They were not as "refined" as the 10 and 11 RT's. The 08 and 09 were a bit more "clunky" in the ride. I have had one of each of the four machines mentioned. Upgrading shocks and not overcontrolling will make your ride seem much better. PS...there is a learning curve that most experience. Usually, around 500 miles. We kept our 2011 RT around 8 years and never had an issue with it. A very good machine in my opinion.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can try spring spacers and it may help just a bit. Inexpensive easy to install. Baja Ron as well as others sell them. I bought rubber spring donuts and installed them, one on each shock. They work well but are not a cure-all for what you're looking for.

Spyder Garage

G'day and welcome to the forum.

Re ya question.

My new to me F3 came with OEM tyres.
    I noticed swaying and it cornered like crap with the recommended pressures.
    Disappointing.. You Bet.
    I swapped to aftermarket tyres upped the pressures a little, and have fitted a better / beefier sway bar.

No more lefty - righty, well almost none. Huge improvement. Compared to what it was like it corners almost as good as haunted snot.

It will never lean and effortless counter steering is never going to occur on a Spyder.

So the question to the O.P.

What tyres and pressures ya running? Info is king when asking advice on stuff. It makes a world of difference.

Spyder Garage

Never been on a snowmobile, but it's nice to know that if I ever do, I'll already be used to the ride and dynamics.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Its father was stuck in a cold warehouse with those low-class Ski-Doos. They are such floozies.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply's guy's, I did a few things this morning. I made aluminium spacers and installed them under the springs and added air (30 lbs ) in the front tire and went for a ride. Big difference on the ride, by the way the front tire is bigger then stock 175/60/R14 instead of 165/65/R14 and max air 50lbs. By adding air it stop the tire from flexing so, I might try a bit more to see the result. I know they say 18 to 20 lbs but to me it sounds to soft for corners.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply's guy's, I did a few things this morning. I made aluminium spacers and installed them under the springs and added air (30 lbs ) in the front tire and went for a ride. Big difference on the ride, by the way the front tire is bigger then stock 175/60/R14 instead of 165/65/R14 and max air 50lbs. By adding air it stop the tire from flexing so, I might try a bit more to see the result. I know they say 18 to 20 lbs but to me it sounds to soft for corners.
    So you are now using Auto tires in the front ..... so am I and mine are at 17 lbs ( for aggressive riding ) .... that's all an Auto tire needs ( unless the rider weighs 600 + lbs ). An auto tire weight limit is rated at 3 times what a Kenda tire is ..... So 30 lbs. will take almost all the suspension & comfort benefits of a properly inflated tire. ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-13-2023 at 02:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

I can tell you from my experience, you are sort of going in the right direction. The sway bar was a good start, and I am assuming you got car tires, great, don't think your choice of air pressures are good, but you will figure that out! I found that the most bang for my buck to get my 2012 RTL to handle was a better set of shocks, matter of fact they had a set of fox shocks as an upgrade back then. May be something you may want to look at if you want to go the cheap route! I can tell you for sure that the shocks you have on there are junk, and with my ride a set of Elkas made a world of difference in my ride and handling!! But I will have to also say that 1000 miles of seat time and relaxing the grip on the bars will help also! You can get into an over steer if you don't relax the grip. Good luck!!! I can't wait to get back on my sled!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Did you try adjusting the front shocks? On the 2010's to 2012's you could adjust the front shocks... Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Yes I know, they are all the way to the top plus a spacer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I can tell you from my experience, you are sort of going in the right direction. The sway bar was a good start, and I am assuming you got car tires, great, don't think your choice of air pressures are good, but you will figure that out! I found that the most bang for my buck to get my 2012 RTL to handle was a better set of shocks, matter of fact they had a set of fox shocks as an upgrade back then. May be something you may want to look at if you want to go the cheap route! I can tell you for sure that the shocks you have on there are junk, and with my ride a set of Elkas made a world of difference in my ride and handling!! But I will have to also say that 1000 miles of seat time and relaxing the grip on the bars will help also! You can get into an over steer if you don't relax the grip. Good luck!!! I can't wait to get back on my sled!!!!
    One thing I notice is with the tire being a 175 is, it seems to rub on the fender frame not all the time but it's not far from touching.

Spyder Garage

One thing I notice is with the tire being a 175 is, it seems to rub on the fender frame not all the time but it's not far from touching.
    Interesting .... what is the aspect ratio ????? ....Mike

Spyder Garage

one of his posts said : 175/60/R14
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Yes the tire on the bike is a 175/65/R14 and it should be a 165/65/R14. Went for a small ride and notice the left tire is rubbing a bit on the fender frame since I added 30lbs of air.

Spyder Garage

I can be worth looking into converting the front wheels to 15". Gives you more tire options, reduces the sidewall height (improving handling) and they look better, in my opinion. That's what I did with my GS. Glad I did.

30 psi in the front tires is too much. I wouldn't go over 20 psi. And 18 is probably better. It's your ride so do what you think best. Just my suggestion.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I did have it at 20 and it was terrible handling at 30 a lot better.

Spyder Garage

Which sway Baja Ron sway bar did you get regular or the Ultimate)?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Which sway Baja Ron sway bar did you get regular or the Ultimate)?

Deanna
    For the Baja Ron bar there is only one that fits the 2011 rt that I can see.

Spyder Garage

I did have it at 20 and it was terrible handling at 30 a lot better.
    So you prefer 30 PSI using an auto tire ........ and you said you just bought the Spyder and it's your first three wheeler .... Well do you think it's possible that you just don't know How it's supposed to feel. IMHO, before you start trying to fix something that may not be broken ..... get a 1000 mi. or so on your NEW TO YOU Spyder and then see what you think you need ..... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Anyways the riding season is almost over up here. This winter I will do some work on it and get it ready for next year. For now I will drive it on short rides and use my other bike for longer rides. Thanks for all your help guy's, I know it's not eazy to find solutions.