Spyder Garage

Default How can I use a USB Music Stick as an Audio Source?

On my Tri Glide (traded it for a 2020 RT Limited and love it) I was able to just plug my USB music stick with songs and a playlist into a USB port and it would be recognized as a media source. Handy for getting music that way directly from the stick instead of via Bluetooth, and use phone for other things.

How can I do this on my RT Limited?

When I try plugging it in to the USB port in the glove box, it just says invalid device.

Oh, one more question. I think I'll end up buying the docking station with the USB ports and 12v power outlet, and use that for my phone via RAM mount. I'm not getting the vibe that using BRP Connect and sticking my phone away and not usable is going to work for me. I also have a Cardo Packtalk Bold on my helmet and use it via phone to take calls and such.

Any advice on BRP Connect, the docking station, or other options?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2023 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2020 RT , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've got a 2022 RT Limited Sea to Sky and mine has another plug in the glove box besides the USB and I think it's an audio connection but I haven't tried it yet. I would think yours has the same thing. As far as the the BRP Go app, you can do the BRP Go set up steps and do everything but plug in the USB. That way you get everything but CarPlay, but you can still control your phone, your music, and bike settings through the joystick. This way the bike does not take control of your phone, it's available to use for any other apps you want directly from the phone.

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    I've got a 2022 RT Limited Sea to Sky and mine has another plug in the glove box besides the USB and I think it's an audio connection but I haven't tried it yet. I would think yours has the same thing. As far as the the BRP Go app, you can do the BRP Go set up steps and do everything but plug in the USB. That way you get everything but CarPlay, but you can still control your phone, your music, and bike settings through the joystick. This way the bike does not take control of your phone, it's available to use for any other apps you want directly from the phone.
    Thanks- I'll play with the app and see how it does.

Spyder Garage

Yes, the second plug in the glove box is the aux input to the stereo.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

My ipod works great with the 3.5mm plug ��

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You’re supposed to pair your smartphone to the bike and use it for music. Lot easier than using the Aux or old tech iPod or flash drive. Use a USB data blocker if all you want is power from the glovebox USB.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Basically, BRP is way behind on the times on using a USB stick plugged into the bike.
    Using the audio cable will play music but no song info on screen.
    Maybe BRP woke up and updated the new 2024 with 10in touch screen that has capabilities of using a USB stick for music. Not holding my breath. Remember this is a company charging over 30 grand and no built in GPS.
    Off my soap box.
    2022 RTL Hyper Silver

Sequential LED fender turn signals-Main and passenger floor boards running and turn signals
    Side view mirror stabilizers-Baja Ron sway bar-Can Am passenger arm rests and drivers back rest
    Garmin XT GPS-Top Cuff for GPS and Phone holder-Quick grip phone holder-Upper RT vent grilles
    Radiator vent grills-LED fog lamp with switch-Foam grip covers-Peddle box pro-Cardo Bold intercom-Big Blue-BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

Spyder Garage

If I remember right. You could play music from a USB stick on the '17 an couple yrs earlier model spyders. But that stopped when they went to the new dash in '18. Could be wrong but pretty sure you cant anymore using USB sticks.

Spyder Garage

Yep I got the 3.5mm audio jack working fine, just wanting more like being able to control song selection and maybe get info on screen. I'll install the app and play with that, and defer to the audio jack if I have to. Thanks all.

Spyder Garage

Just load your music into your phone and connect through Bluetooth on your bike. Will have control of music and info on dash.
    2022 RTL Hyper Silver

Sequential LED fender turn signals-Main and passenger floor boards running and turn signals
    Side view mirror stabilizers-Baja Ron sway bar-Can Am passenger arm rests and drivers back rest
    Garmin XT GPS-Top Cuff for GPS and Phone holder-Quick grip phone holder-Upper RT vent grilles
    Radiator vent grills-LED fog lamp with switch-Foam grip covers-Peddle box pro-Cardo Bold intercom-Big Blue-BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kdog View Post
    Yep I got the 3.5mm audio jack working fine, just wanting more like being able to control song selection and maybe get info on screen. I'll install the app and play with that, and defer to the audio jack if I have to. Thanks all.
    You don’t need “the app” (BRP Go). All you need is an app that played music. The phone needs to be paired to the bike. Get music playing, turn the key on and wait for the music to come thru the speakers. If not push the joystick up to start playing. Sometimes I’ve had to push down and hold to pause then up to play. Do it often and it keeps doing it easier.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 09-11-2023 at 08:55 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I stream from my phone straight to my Packtalk! The Packtalk can handle doing music, comms and phone stuff seamlessly... Or am I missing something here? Are you saying you ONLY have the music on the flashdrive and not on your phone? There are ways to fix that... It would keep things simpler to have it all on the phone IMHO....
    Last edited by hypurone; 09-11-2023 at 11:47 AM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I tried out the brp connect stuff when I first got the bike in 2020. It was buggy and slow. Brp was trying to force 3rd party vendors to write software to be compatible with their libraries but they are just too small a fish to make much influence in smartphone market. They should have just added android auto or iphone support directly.

Next I just paired the phone and 2 helmets to the bike. That wasn't bad except we had to listen to the same music. One of the MAJOR benefits of 2 bluetooth helmets is individual music sources so my wife doesn't have to listen to my classic rock and I don't have to listen to her country.

But worse than shared music was that the bluetooth module on the bike would get stuck after a while and there was no way to fix it except to stop the bike, shut it off and wait the 30 seconds for the bike to totally power off. Then power back on, wait the 40 seconds for things to re-pair, then back on the road. You can't do that when you're riding with friends. "Hey everyone pull over for 3 minutes while I fix my music". Then do it again an hour later. Even riding alone and having to stop for a few minutes to fix music is annoying.

So now I just pair the phones straight to the helmet. It's on, linked and playing music in 10 seconds and never a hiccup. I keep listening to music even while pumping gas.

Bike audio just doesn't make much sense anymore.

Spyder Garage

The short answer is NO, you can't use your usb stick as a music source.
    If you have some kind of MP3 player or IPOD you can connect the 3.5 mm barrel connector in the glove box as the AUX source, but you cannot use the bike controls to scroll through the tunes, only change the volume of the system.
    For some reason, the only bluetooth connections that will work are either an apple phone or android phone.
    IPODs and mp3 players, even if they have bluetooth capabilities are incompatible with the BRP system.
    Trust me, I've tried them all.
    I'm now in the process of buying an old Galaxy S7 for use as the music source. This will cost me about $45.
    This leaves my regular phone available for other uses.

Just my opinion could be wrong. If I am, I'm sure SOMEBODY on this forum will let me know.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kdog View Post
    The Packtalk has voice commands to control track changes and volume, pause and resune etc, you would only miss out on song info....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic