Spyder Garage

Thumbs up 22 F3S Gustafson 20" windshield install with supplied brackets

I received my windshield in a very well packaged box that contained the 20" light smoke windshield, 2 brackets (supports), 1 package of bolts for the brackets and 1 package for the brackets to windshield mount. The bracket bolts were silver so I sprayed the bolt heads and washers with black primer to match the spyder mounting area.
    1) The brackets are marked left and right; hold the bracket over top of the bolting area on either side and it will become obvious which 2 bolts per side should be removed using a T25.
    2) Clean the plastic hood area (bugs etc.) that will be under the windshield before install.
    3) Install the brackets to the machine with 2 bolts (with a dab of blue loctite on each) and snug them up but do not do a final torque.
    4) Hold the windshield over top the brackets and fit the 3 bolts per side, starting with the middle one and top and bottom.
    5) Torque down the 2 bracket bolts per side. (If you don't have a Torx wrench that fits in the space under the windshield remove the windshield bolts but do not disturb the brackets, a bit of movement is required to fit all 3 bolts per side).
    6) The 3 holes per side of the windshield come predrilled so no worries fitting or drilling.
    7) Using a flat blade screwdriver hold the plastic fasteners on top and a 3/8" socket underneath and carefully snug up the 3 plastic bolts per side.
    8) Clean off any finger prints, take a few pictures and go for a ride. I took about an hour for the install but you could probably do it in 20 mins. if you stayed at it, quick and easy.

The third picture shows where the brackets bolt to the hood of the Spyder. The second picture tries to give you my sight line holding the camera directly in front of my eyes with a slight slouch. I am 6' and have a 32" instep. If I sit straight up the top of the windshield would be at chin level. The first picture shows a side view of the Spyder and how the smoke tint compliments the Manta Green.

I took the Spyder for a ride and the helmet turbulence is gone, even if I sit straight up. You can look through the windshield and I don't see any areas of distortion. The hardware holding the windshield is at the bottom and not in your viewing area as other types of windshields have. There is no vibration of the windshield at speed up to 75 mph even when hit with the wind from a B train.

The windshield is made of top quality Acrylic so I am going to order some Novus cleaner and scratch remover.

I hope this info helps someone who is trying to decide which windshield to buy, height, brackets etc. I don't know how it compares to others as I have not tried them.

Gustafson Plastics, made in Florida. They have several videos for (Spyders) measuring height, with hardware and without.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write up. I ordered the 17" from them and it was delivered a couple weeks ago. I hope to get it installed after my next Spyder wash. So no issue with leaving the gauge spoiler on?
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

No issue with mine, you can see the gauge spoiler in the pic with the brackets; if you are getting the 17" with brackets supplied.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:51 PM. Reason: guage...

Spyder Garage

After 2173km/1358m over the last 5 days the foot boards are very comfortable(no vibration on the higway, except when the front wheel touches the rumble strip on the center line) and the Gustafson 20" windshield was the right choice even in the rain. The rain worked its way up the windshield but I did not get any rain on my visor even though I was looking over top. The occasional large rain drops that climbed the windshield fell over but did not bother my vision and the helmet/visor was dry.