Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Did a little experimenting with MPGs

I went for an 8 hour ride this weekend and am still learning my 2021 RT Limited. Basically, I learned that with constant speeds from 30 - 55 mph, I can get 40 - 41 mpg per the computer. There was no difference if I was going 30 or 55 mph. Once I hit 60 mph to 38 65 and over, down to about 32 mpg.

I was not surprised by the over 65 mph drop but what did surprise me was no difference in mpg from 30 - 55. I know there are other factors like the bike itself, gas, etc so maybe you will get different results.

Spyder Garage

Windshield up or down, even that makes a difference.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm overly anal about MPG's. If my MPG is off something isn't right. I know exactly what I should get and when I should get it. Example, every 1K of RPM over 3K RPM (60 MPH) will cost me 1 MPG. And yes, windshield up or down will give or take away MPG's. The Spyder's computer will also become accustomed to the way in which you ride so if you have a headwind or a tailwind that you're not aware of it will make your MPG's really go wonky. Although I recommend avoiding it, drafting trucks will give you phenomenal MPGs.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2023 at 11:52 PM. Reason: anil; Caps; & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

On my F3 Limited I've found that my MPG is in the low to mid 30's when cruising around 65-70. 80+ cruising drops my MPG down to the low 20's. I don't spend a lot of time riding around town so I can't speak to my sub 50's MPG.

Spyder Garage

Altitude makes a difference. Here at 5,000 feet that's down to about 100 bhp, so I tend to give it a bit more throttle on acceleration which drinks gas faster than at lower elevations. One up or two up makes quite a difference, as does tire types and pressures. I find as well as up to about 55 mph there is no significant difference in mpg, but beyond that mileage tails off quickly. I think it's from turbulence as the Spyder has the aerodynamics of a garden shed. It looks streamlined, but I rather feel it isn't. Going fast enough (ehem) it goes very front end light and wanders about, suggesting front end lift at speed. I don't think it was designed in a wind tunnel, it just looks like it was. When riding in the rain it's interesting to watch the enormous turbulent wake as you get over 55 or so.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is not very aerodynamic. A lot of drag at higher speeds. Just a modest increase in windshield size will reduce fuel mileage a fair amount.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm happy getting 25 mpg when crashing thru the twisties while running with my sport-touring pals. On the super-slabs, I get upper 30s mpg when throttle is steady.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I get 25-28 mpg it don't matter how i ride it 16 rtl.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post
    Altitude makes a difference. Here at 5,000 feet that's down to about 100 bhp, so I tend to give it a bit more throttle on acceleration which drinks gas faster than at lower elevations.
    In contrast, the summer I kept close tabs on MPG some of my best was going over the Rocky Mountains and some of my worst was in Louisiana at sea level! Go figure!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I'm happy getting 25 mpg when crashing thru the twisties while running with my sport-touring pals. On the super-slabs, I get upper 30s mpg when throttle is steady.
    Interesting, I have a 14 RT and in the Twistie's I ride like I stole it .... I'm avging 40-42 mpg's .....I stay off the Slabs .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting, I have a 14 RT and in the Twistie's I ride like I stole it .... I'm avging 40-42 mpg's .....I stay off the Slabs .... Mike
    It's the pegging the throttle coming out of the corners trying to keep up with the crazies. The Pedal Commander helps swallow even more. My RT seems to do best at steady speeds up to ~80. Not so good past that.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yea me too. I don't stand on the throtal, I roll it on easily. Instantly hitting the end of the wick sends fuel through the system that doesn't get used.

Spyder Garage

I rolled off the dealer's lot with a full tank of gas during the first week of Oct 2014. I last refueled on 8/19/23 with 86,448 on the odometer. I have refueled 542 times and a total of 2,101.33 gallons and $4.563.20 in fuel expense. The Spyder has averaged 37.2 mpg to date with a low trip mpg of 28.3 and a high of 52.1. Excel does all the work. There were a lot of miles chasing my son and his BMW GS Adventure riding buddies but many more miles touring.

The biggest inaccuracy in my data is how close to a totally full tank I was at each refueling because of two factors:

(1) there is no "Full" mark anywhere in/on the tank; and
    (2) the velocity of fuel coming our of the pump nozzle. The greater the velocity the sooner the splash-back, therefore the less I could "completely" fill it.

I stopped caring about it at 68,850 miles when it crossed the 37.0 mpg point and has been that way for almost 18K miles. The total odometer error is +88.8 miles. I ride where I think it will be most enjoyable and eschew the slabbing whenever and wherever possible.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2023 at 12:03 AM. Reason: of & ; ' 's ;-)
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I rolled off the dealer's lot with a full tank of gas during the first week of Oct 2014. I last refueled on 8/19/23 with 86,448 on the odometer. I have refueled 542 times and a total of 2,101.33 gallons and $4.563.20 in fuel expense. The Spyder has averaged 37.2 mpg to date with a low trip mpg of 28.3 and a high of 52.1. Excel does all the work. There were a lot of miles chasing my son and his BMW GS Adventure riding buddies but many more miles touring.

The biggest inaccuracy in my data is how close to a totally full tank I was at each refueling because of two factors:

(1) there is no "Full" mark anywhere in/on the tank; and
    (2) the velocity of fuel coming our of the pump nozzle. The greater the velocity the sooner the splash-back, therefore the less I could "completely" fill it.

I stopped caring about it at 68,850 miles when it crossed the 37.0 mpg point and has been that way for almost 18K miles. The total odometer error is +88.8 miles. I ride where I think it will be most enjoyable and eschew the slabbing whenever and wherever possible.
    about the gas handle/nozzle at the pumps, it can be challenging at times ..... However, there is definitely a FULL point ..... When the gas reaches the lip of the tank ....it's ABSOLUTELY FULL .....and that's where mine is at every tank fill-up .....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2023 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    In contrast, the summer I kept close tabs on MPG some of my best was going over the Rocky Mountains and some of my worst was in Louisiana at sea level! Go figure!
    Worst in LOUISIANA try to figure the additional rotations tire made while airborne from pot-holes & bumps, added weight from good ol food stops, & bugs stuck on & in bike. Questionable gas -more so depending seasonal blend change. As well as the variable speeds on every stretch of road. Interstate itself has 4 changes in 30m stretch locally. Thanks for coming by come on back

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Riding high desert/plateau, even mountains will always yield better MPGs than sea level. Provided your riding habits are consistent. Your ECM adjusts fuel to compensate for the thinner O2 at higher altitudes. In addition, lower octane fuel can only be found at higher elevations for the same reason.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

about the gas handle/nozzle at the pumps, it can be challenging at times ..... However, there is definitely a FULL point ..... When the gas reaches the lip of the tank ....it's ABSOLUTELY FULL .....and that's where mine is at every tank fill-up .....Mike
    Mike, point well taken, but even when touring leisurely there's a point where I want to quit trying to get to that lip where the nozzle fits in the tank and get moving again. In a more important vein, I've always been concerned that trying to get the tank as full as absolutely possible increased the risk of getting gas in the purge valve, or bleed valve as it's called in the parts fiche (PN 709000443). Was that a problem peculiar to the V-Twins or the 1330 ACE engine too? I flat don't know and haven't heard about it here in a long time.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Challenging yes, and a headache also. I've found that staying away from the newer larger stations that have the newer pumps helps with getting an accurately full tank. Older pumps commonly found at "mom & pop" stations are much easier to control when trying to stuff in that last gallon. EPA doesn't want you to have a full tank. Relying on auto shutoff to calculate your MPGs is not an accurate way to rely on. I've tried I don't know how many ways to overcome the frustration of dribbling in that last gallon to get a full tank, but there seems to be no better way than dribble dribble dribble. That extra gallon can mean the difference between a fun weekend and a not so fun weekend, if you know what I mean.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike, point well taken, but even when touring leisurely there's a point where I want to quit trying to get to that lip where the nozzle fits in the tank and get moving again. In a more important vein, I've always been concerned that trying to get the tank as full as absolutely possible increased the risk of getting gas in the purge valve, or bleed valve as it's called in the parts fiche (PN 709000443). Was that a problem peculiar to the V-Twins or the 1330 ACE engine too? I flat don't know and haven't heard about it here in a long time.
    Haven't that ever being a problem with the 1330s. The problem is to keep the fuel from getting on your shoes.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 09-07-2023 at 12:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Challenging yes, and a headache also. I've found that staying away from the newer larger stations that have the newer pumps helps with getting an accurately full tank. Older pumps commonly found at "mom & pop" stations are much easier to control when trying to stuff in that last gallon. EPA doesn't want you to have a full tank. Relying on auto shutoff to calculate your MPGs is not an accurate way to rely on. I've tried I don't know how many ways to overcome the frustration of dribbling in that last gallon to get a full tank, but there seems to be no better way than dribble dribble dribble. That extra gallon can mean the difference between a fun weekend and a not so fun weekend, if you know what I mean.
    That is the beauty of what JayBros and others are doing. You can make a mistake in filling, but over time and enuff miles the average takes that out of the equation. Also things like over it's lifetime it's cost me an average of 10 cents per mile, burning premium. Out of the 362 times I have added fuel 17 times I have gotten > 40 MPG and 105 times I have gotten < 30. Over those times there is an average of 1.47 MPG between what the bike says for MPG and what the actual calculation comes to.....calculation being higher.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

On the V-twins it was a major problem, I re-routed some of the tubes and solved it that way , or some just re-moved the cannister ..... from what I've seen of the 1330 platform / engine I think the lines are routed differently, so that can't happen ...... at least it's never occurred on my 14 RT ,,,,, Mike

Spyder Garage

..... I've been lucky here in Vt. .... lots of Mom & Pops places, and so far only a couple of Wanky pumps.....Mike

Spyder Garage

On the V-twins it was a major problem, I re-routed some of the tubes and solved it that way , or some just re-moved the cannister ..... from what I've seen of the 1330 platform / engine I think the lines are routed differently, so that can't happen ...... at least it's never occurred on my 14 RT ,,,,, Mike
    Thanks, Mike.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    That is the beauty of what JayBros and others are doing. You can make a mistake in filling, but over time and enuff miles the average takes that out of the equation. Also things like over it's lifetime it's cost me an average of 10 cents per mile, burning premium. Out of the 362 times I have added fuel 17 times I have gotten > 40 MPG and 105 times I have gotten < 30. Over those times there is an average of 1.47 MPG between what the bike says for MPG and what the actual calculation comes to.....calculation being higher.
    My experience with the auto shut off feature is that over the years and in the many different stations I've used, I've found that there can be as much as a 1/2 gallon variation in where and when the pump shuts itself off. That can really play he!! with calculations and averages. I'm with BK911 here and I fill'er up to the ring in the neck just under the cap.

Spyder Garage

My experience with the auto shut off feature is that over the years and in the many different stations I've used, I've found that there can be as much as a 1/2 gallon variation in where and when the pump shuts itself off. That can really play he!! with calculations and averages. I'm with BK911 here and I fill'er up to the ring in the neck just under the cap.
    I do the same, and pump slowly till I get tired of waiting on the drain back so I can pump a bit more. It's just these little inconsistencies get ironed out over the long haul...if you keep the records..
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange