Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer set 2022 RTL tire pressures waay high - what do you use?

I just took my 2022 RT in for service and they aired the tires to 30 on the rear and 25 on the front. I thought 25 was too much.
    I thought it was supposed to be 18 PSI
    What pressures do you guys use?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-02-2023 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

17/18 cold all the way around.

Spyder Garage

Since we are all so individually different in size, weight, skill and riding temperament, the best thing to do is start at the pressures listed on the label under the seat and adjust them the way it feels best for you. FWIW, when I took my Spyder to the nearest dealership for a NC state inspection last year, the inspector, after the job was done, attempted to tell me what I was doing was all wrong and that he had done me a favor by putting them all at 28 -- and I have three cage tires on it to boot. I went around the side of the building out of sight of the service dept, pulled out my tire gauge and put them back where I find them best for me. BS hides in every nook and cranny in the universe, and it's a fact, BS at the speed of light is still BS!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I sometime marvel at how little some dealer techs know about the Spyder, Ah-cool. Firstly, are we referring to the OEM Kendas? If yes, the front pressure should be around 17, according to the workshop manual. Why they have not followed BRP specs is beyond me.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    17/18 cold all the way around.
    I assume that’s on aftermarkets, 2dogs?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I just took my 2022 RT in for service and they aired the tires to 30 on the rear and 25 on the front. I thought 25 was too much.
    I thought it was supposed to be 18 PSI
    What pressures do you guys use?
    and THIS post is why posters should ALWAYS give us ALL OF THE PERTINENT INFORMATION with the question. ie... original tires or aftermarket tires? Big difference between the two.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I go by the OM and/or sticker +/- 1 adjust psi as needed. Hasn't failed me yet.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Since we are all so individually different in size, weight, skill and riding temperament, the best thing to do is start at the pressures listed on the label under the seat and adjust them the way it feels best for you. FWIW, when I took my Spyder to the nearest dealership for a NC state inspection last year, the inspector, after the job was done, attempted to tell me what I was doing was all wrong and that he had done me a favor by putting them all at 28 -- and I have three cage tires on it to boot. I went around the side of the building out of sight of the service dept, pulled out my tire gauge and put them back where I find them best for me. BS hides in every nook and cranny in the universe, and it's a fact, BS at the speed of light is still BS!
    Woh, I thought veh. inspections in Vt. were tough! .... So you're saying yhat in NC they check the "tire psi's"? ..... OMG ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-02-2023 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    and THIS post is why posters should ALWAYS give us ALL OF THE PERTINENT INFORMATION with the question. ie... original tires or aftermarket tires? Big difference between the two.
    .... Thanks BBB you beat me to it. ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just an update original tires. I only have 6,000 miles on it so far. 2022 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Woh, I thought veh. inspections in Vt. were tough! .... So you're saying yhat in NC they check the "tire psi's"? ..... OMG ..... Mike
    No, Mike, the NC inspection does not check tire pressure, only tread wear. Matter of fact, every year but two since I bought the Spyder, having it inspected at cage shops I've just driven it into the inspection bay, sat aboard it flicked the appropriate switches in response to the inspector's signals, and driven out with my new inspection certificate. At one motorcycle dealership that shall remain unnamed the inspector told me I had to replace my license plate light. All lights must work or the vehicle flunks.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

No, Mike, the NC inspection does not check tire pressure, only tread wear. Matter of fact, every year but two since I bought the Spyder, having it inspected at cage shops I've just driven it into the inspection bay, sat aboard it flicked the appropriate switches in response to the inspector's signals, and driven out with my new inspection certificate. At one motorcycle dealership that shall remain unnamed the inspector told me I had to replace my license plate light. All lights must work or the vehicle flunks.
    .... You wrote that an NC INSPECTOR told you He put all your tires at .....28 psi .... well did He guess that they weren't at 28 psi ???? or did he CHECK THE PSI first ???? .... I'm not trying to be obtuse ... I based my comment on what you posted .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-02-2023 at 10:38 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I assume that’s on aftermarkets, 2dogs?

Pete
    Yes, it is. They'll get up to 20 +or- when hot. Works well with one or two up. We're approx 300 lbs two up. Plus you'll never get that rear tire to run out evenly. It will always wear out the center first.

Spyder Garage

Yes, it is. They'll get up to 20 +or- when hot. Works well with one or two up. We're approx 300 lbs two up. Plus you'll never get that rear tire to run out evenly. It will always wear out the center first.
    ..... but IMHO the Kenda rear tire will wear out 50% faster than an Auto tire .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

..... but IMHO the Kenda rear tire will wear out 50% faster than an Auto tire .... Mike
    Yes Mike I'm sure you're right. The OEM rear tire rim may possibly be too wide to allow the car tires to run with 100% of the tire patch in contact with the ground. But we're stuck with what we have and I don't think it's worth trying to overcome or correct. The OEM Kenda is simply a poor quality product.

Spyder Garage

.... You wrote that an NC INSPECTOR told you He put all your tires at .....28 psi .... well did He guess that they weren't at 28 psi ???? or did he CHECK THE PSI first ???? .... I'm not trying to be obtuse ... I based my comment on what you posted .....Mike
    Yes, he checked them somewhere in his sequence because he told me they were too low and set them at 28 all around. When I left my house they were 18 front and 20 rear. It's 15 mi. to the dealership at probably and avg of 40 mph.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yes, he checked them somewhere in his sequence because he told me they were too low and set them at 28 all around. When I left my house they were 18 front and 20 rear. It's 15 mi. to the dealership at probably and avg of 40 mph.
    20 rear? I thought rear was 30

Spyder Garage

The sticker on my Spyder says 28 +/- 2 for the rear, but I have been using the General Altimax RT43 for years and run it at 20 for even wear across the entire tread. Kenda tires are crap.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My dealer set my OEM/new Kenda's to 15# front and 20# rear. They looked a little low when I got home from my 90 mile ride from the dealership

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

@troop....so they did not follow the sticker pressures either? Just goes to show poor BRP dealer quality and training ...
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    @troop....so they did not follow the sticker pressures either? Just goes to show poor BRP dealer quality and training ...
    Honestly from the few that I've saw, there was no training and I think that they were hired cheap. Welcome to small town USA.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Ahh-cool, you really do have to be sooooooo careful when discussing tyre pressures. ALWAYS ask the question - are you running aftermarket tyres?. In my opinion, it is as essential to include that tyre info in your signature as it is to include your model year…… but we can’t even get people to include their model in their signature. It is sooo frustrating

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

They quit doing inspections or emissions for bikes or trikes in Utah. Just pay up for a sticker.

In some ways that's way more convenient, but in others it scares the living daylights out of me.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hardly anyone on this site has ever checked their tire pressures using the chalk mark method on their tire treads. Amazing how such a simple test gets no attention at all. JMO

Spyder Garage

Hardly anyone on this site has ever checked their tire pressures using the chalk mark method on their tire treads. Amazing how such a simple test gets no attention at all. JMO
    I do generally show that method to new riders/drivers as an option when we're discussing tire pressures, but most consider &/or report that they find that using a tire pressure gauge to check their tire's cold air pressures before they start riding then checking them again about an hour later & applying the 4psi rule, and doing that a number of times over a few weeks to get close to what pressures work for them in a variety of conditions is much easier... still a bit of a pain, but MUCH easier than using the chalk/paint/wet tire method! And if you check your pressures before you start (TPMS is another great tool! ) then the 4psi rule is repeatable any time you head out there onto the road, so you can do a quick check whenever you ryde, if you want to!

But regardless of how hard/easy it is to do, the chalk/paint/wet tire method definitely is another useful tool that works pretty well at getting your tire pressures into the right range FOR YOU, even if you really need to do it a few times under a variety of load/conditions to get a good idea of what pressures are likely to work better than the 'One Pressure (MIGHT) Fits Most' despite the potential for different loads/riding styles/ambient conditions/road surfaces specified by the Tire Placard. After all, the range of size in tires that our Spyders/Rykers can run won't really hold a massive volume of air, so the 'good' range of pressures for anyone ryding/loading their Spyders/Rykers in any way near their design specs isn't going to vary all that much!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2023 at 08:36 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!