Spyder Garage

Default How to disable DESS? Any Step-by-Step Procedures?

I have a 2015 RTSE6. I am looking for the procedure to turn off the DESS. I have someone with BUDS and a MegaTech license, but they cannot figure out how to do it. Does anyone have the step-by-step procedure? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-29-2023 at 05:04 PM. Reason: INADVANCE ... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ris View Post
    I have a 2015 RTSE6. I am looking for the procedure to turn off the DESS. I have someone with BUDS and a MegaTech license, but they cannot figure out how to do it. Does anyone have the step-by-step procedure? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
    Here's three members that I know have the Mega-Tech license ... Joel-the-Biker .... BajaRon & the Netzely boys .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

ris,

I was wondering if you got the D.E.S.S error?

I can't help you with the step-by-step procedure on how to turn off the DESS.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, Assuming that he knows how to hook up, log in, and call up the machine's BUDS data file in order to make the change, then do all of that and then:

- Look for the tab that says Keys. Click on that tab.

- Over on the right hand side, look for Anti-Theft System.

- If it already says Deactivated, somebody did this before you and it's already done.

- If it says DESS, then click on the drop down arrow and select Deactivated.

- If these options are grayed out, then he doesn't actually have a Megatech License, or he logged in with the wrong license.

- After you select Deactivated, you may get a prompt from BUDS to reboot the ECM. Do that. It's just rebooting the Spyder, not his computer. If not, then he'll need to select Write Data in order to save the changes. It's been over a year and I can't remember which happens first. But, BUDS will tell you what to do.

- Either way, then shut everything down, restart from scratch and call up the Spyder data again to ensure that the change has been saved. If it has, Deactivated will now show under Anti-Theft System. No further action is required. Just close the file and quit BUDS.

If he's never ever accessed a Spyder before and this is all new to him, them PM me and we can set up a day and time to do a FaceTime to walk through it.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Have not gotten the error yet. Trying to be proactive and avoid future problems.

Spyder Garage

Have not gotten the error yet. Trying to be proactive and avoid future problems.
    ris,

I hope you don't get the error. OK.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

do all Spyder's have BUDS or BUDS2 ... or if not what years or how can I know of mine has it ??
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    do all Spyder's have BUDS or BUDS2 ... or if not what years or how can I know of mine has it ??
    Both of those are the names of the systems that BRP uses in the CanAms .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    BUDS and BUDS2 are computer software programs and the interface that allows techs to interface with the inner workings of a Spyder, F3 or Ryker, along with all the other trail, snow and marine machines BRP makes.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    BUDS and BUDS2 are computer software programs and the interface that allows techs to interface with the inner workings of a Spyder, F3 or Ryker, along with all the other trail, snow and marine machines BRP makes.
    BUDS = BRP Universal Diagnostic System & BUDS2 is the second/later version of that which works with the later model vehicles. Or something like that??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, you're right. The break for Spyders is at the 2017 model year. BUDS is for 2008 - 2016, and BUDS2 is 2017 and newer.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I have a "noob" question, so please don't beat me down too badly.

Why would anyone want to bypass D.E.S.S.? It's a safety protocol that could keep someone from stealing our beloved rides. Yes, I get it if you lose the keys etc. but if the OP has BUDS/BUDS2 then couldn't the missing key issue be easily resolved?

Why bypass this?
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post

Why would anyone want to bypass D.E.S.S.? It's a safety protocol that could keep someone from stealing our beloved rides. Yes, I get it if you lose the keys etc. but if the OP has BUDS/BUDS2 then couldn't the missing key issue be easily resolved?

Why bypass this?
    You REALLY should try doing some searching and reading up on things like this, cos it wouldn't take much for it to become abundantly clear why many have chosen to do this....

But in a nutshell, when the DESS works correctly, then yes, that's ^^ exactly what it does, and the DESS on Spyders up until 2014 did exactly that, reliably and well... Buuut, come 2014, and for some reason that may or may not be valid, the DESS that worked reliably and well up until then was changed, 'upgraded' to something that pretty much randomly decided NOT to work - only it didn't do that by letting the crims steal your beloved bike, it did it by not letting YOU start it whenever you wanted to!! Not even if you HAD the correct key!! Usually this'd happen when you'd ridden a couple of hours away from home, just to make things really difficult! And it did this so randomly that you never knew if you would be able to start you bike once you shut it off, basically making riding anywhere a game of russian roulette with your Spyder!!

Riding anywhere with a dicky DESS becomes an issue, but Touring becomes a right pain if not an impossibility, cos you just might get saayy, 1000 miles or more away from home and then your bike decides it just won't start - maybe not for a minute or two; maybe not for a few hours; or possibly it just might not start for a few days or even just not at all - who knows!? At least not until you've replaced the offending part, but then choosing which part of the DESS is the offending part can be a bit of a crap shoot or WAG too; it could require just the antenna; just the DESS Module itself; or maybe the whole lot, including the antenna, the module, new ignition, new keys... And even if you DO get the whole lot replaced, there's a good chance you'll STILL stand a very high likelihood of it jagging in and stranding you again!! There are Spyder Owners out there who've reported that they've had the entire DESS on their Spyders replaced as many as FIVE TIMES!! (some under warranty, but some have had to pay more than once just to get their bike going again so they could get home! ) These dodgy DESS Modules pretty much made many Spyders SOOO unreliable that people were using their Spyders as expensive lawn ornaments, cos either THAT's where it stopped last and due to the f****** DESS, they hadn't been able to get it going again - or that's where they got the tow guy to drop it off after paying for the THIRD time (or possibly for the FIFTH time) to get it trucked home!!

It did become a little better on the 2020+ models once they were released, but there are still the odd few reports coming thru of people having issues with earlier models, and there are even a few (fewer??) reports of these issues happening on later models... So not necessarily just you broderp, but for any reading this who were wondering the same thing, if you take the time to do that search and then do some reading, especially if you own a 2014-2019 Spyder, you should! And you might actually start to think that the smarter question to ask would be "Why HAVEN'T you had your Spyder's DESS disabled yet?"

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-11-2023 at 08:35 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by broderp View Post

Why bypass this?
    with Peter...... You have a 23 Spyder, and to date I haven't heard of a DESS failure for that year..... I have a 14 RT (first year of FAILURES) .... My DESS was replaced under warranty, But I didn't trust it.... (back then, No One was able to CANCEL using BUDS yet).... so after I got home, I decided to MOVE the DESS module to a place where it was easily accessible (without removing the FRUNK assembly).... The part is/was about $140.00 .... So if you can get yours Cancelled, consider doing so.... or do what I did and prepare to replace it..... I have pics in an Album about this.... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2024 at 05:55 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Will a dealership deactivate this?
    Thanks haven't been able to find an independent shop with buds2 and proper license in middle Tennessee.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blue velvet View Post
    Thanks haven't been able to find an independent shop with buds2 and proper license in middle Tennessee.
    I'm 110% sure no dealer will do it. ..... Next Sept. there will a Rally near you and the Netzley boys will be there and they can do it .... Or contact BajaRon (a vendor here) .... He can tell you who'll do it also .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Nope! Not if they want to remain a dealership! In fact, I've heard that BRP have told all their dealers that they'd lose their dealership if they even went so far as to buy the Mega-Tech licence that's necessary to turn the DESS off!!

So you'll need to find someone nearby with that licence; or maybe set up an appointment with someone who has it who might be a bit further away, & then take a road trip! Only it might be smart not to broadcast who it is doing it too loudly on the public pages here (or anywhere for that matter!!) cos BRP have been known to come down heavy on people/places doing this, or on places fitting non-Kenda a/mkt tires...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up. My 2018 RT has had the key warning a couple of times.

Spyder Garage

You are about 3-4 hours away from Baja Ron's shop in Greeneville Tn.... Take a ride and have them do it.. They are great folks. I did this last summer, also got a rear tire and sway bar...
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T