Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Has Anyone Gone Back to 2 Wheels

I'm sure there has been a few people gone back to 2 wheels from a Spyder. If you have, why and what age did you do it?
    Just curious.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

I'm 77. I've been riding 2 wheels off and on since I was 17. In 2020 I moved from a 1200cc sport tourer to the RT for comfort on long trips (and stability going slow).
    Last year I picked up an 850cc Aprilia Mana (2 wheels) for day tripping in hot days. Going back and forth between the 2 has been no issue at all as far as handling and familiarization. The RT is my go-to for 3 seasons and the Mana is the summer ride.

(PS: Fly Navy!)
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I did it. Five years after selling my Kawi 900 Classic, I bought another one (two years old but NEW), for a very, very good price. Drove it for two more years, let it sit mostly undriven the third year, and then traded it off on a Kawi Mule which we still have.

Laying the 900 down twice while at a stop sign was Gods way of telling me that I could not handle that heavy (735#) of a two wheeler any more. I still miss it, but I am still in one piece. I did find that the 900 was the "perfect" for me Cruiser. I put a lowering kit on #2 so I could touch the ground with both feet flat on the ground. I prefer the ride of two compared to three...but that was just not to be.

Now I am to the point where both of the Spyders are for sale. Health issues this go around.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I went from (many) years on 2 to a Spyder when I turned 70. Personal reasons caused me to part with my Spyder after 3 1/2 years. I went back to my old Goldwing that I reacquired from my (now) ex-wife. I rode that for one season which is about 9 months here in the desert S.W. I didn't crash or dump it. But I did find that in my mid 70s, I was not as strong or comfortable riding it as I thought I should be. I was overly cautious knowing my skill level had declined somewhat. So, it was back to 3 for me. Two wheels are now forever in my rear view..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I went to 2 wheels at the urging of my wife after dumping my 2 wheeler. It was not my fault, but the wife saw it as being a danger. After riding 3 wheels for 2 years, I convinced her I should have another 2 wheeler. After about 6 months of riding, I somehow lost my confidence and sold it. 2 years later, I felt comfortable again and picked up another 2 wheeler. I now have 2 spyders and 1 BMW K1600B that I ride. I feel good riding either one.
    BTW, age is 57.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I went to 2 wheels at the urging of my wife after dumping my 2 wheeler. It was not my fault, but the wife saw it as being a danger. After riding 3 wheels for 2 years, I convinced her I should have another 2 wheeler. After about 6 months of riding, I somehow lost my confidence and sold it. 2 years later, I felt comfortable again and picked up another 2 wheeler. I now have 2 spyders and 1 BMW K1600B that I ride. I feel good riding either one.
    BTW, age is 57.
    The BMW K1600 was on my secret want list. And I REALLY, REALLY, like their new 1800cc Cruiser. Five years ago, I would have had that in a heartbeat.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I been riding Spyder since Mar 2017 and been forever on 2 wheels. The Honda NT700V is my work buddy commute, the Spyder is the Luxury tourer
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't know if he is still visiting the site but Slice just went back to 2 wheels.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I just sold my 14 CTX700 non-dct. I don't miss the clutching and shifting cus arthritis all over ain't fun. I might have a chance to pick up a 15 CTX DTC ABS which would be my 2 wheel fix.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The BMW K1600 was on my secret want list. And I REALLY, REALLY, like their new 1800cc Cruiser. Five years ago, I would have had that in a heartbeat.
    Yes, that 1800cc cruiser really appeals to me, AR, and I thought about getting one once my knee replacements come up to speed.
    Unfortunately, after a test “sit”, I found two obstacles. The first is that size 15 boots negate you from using the foot controls (no room under the cylinders), and the second is that long legs are stuck in a single position unless you buy the “highway plates” that sit on top of the cylinders to stretch you legs straight out in front of you. That position does not appeal to me for both comfort, and more particularly, it’s remoteness from the foot boards and controls

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 08-29-2023 at 06:21 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I just sold my 14 CTX700 non-dct. I don't miss the clutching and shifting cus arthritis all over ain't fun. I might have a chance to pick up a 15 CTX DTC ABS which would be my 2 wheel fix.
    Just to let you know, Bob, the DCT shift pattern is the opposite of that on the Can-Am. Two years after switching to the Spyder, I still sometimes flash back to my 2014 CTX700ND and upshift when I mean to downshift. Just takes practice.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    Just to let you know, Bob, the DCT shift pattern is the opposite of that on the Can-Am. Two years after switching to the Spyder, I still sometimes flash back to my 2014 CTX700ND and upshift when I mean to downshift. Just takes practice.
    Overall, how did you like the semi auto honda?
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Spyder Garage

Never had 2 wheels. Maybe 1 day. For now 3 for me
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

I stopped riding on two wheels in 2013 at the age of 63. At the time I had a 2007 Triumph Rocket which I traded in on my first Spyder, a 2012 RTS. Since then I've had two other Spyders, a 2015 RTS and currently own a 2017 F3 Limited. Back in 2020 I got the urge to be back on 2 wheels, I missed the lean in the corners. So I bought a used 2002 Honda VTX 1800 which I kept for 2 years and then give the VTX to my son when I found a nice 2008 Triumph Rocket which I still own and ride just as much as I do the F3 Spyder. I really enjoyed both of my Rockets. That brings me up to my current age of 73.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

After 50+ years on two wheels I went to Three in 2011 after an accident at 65. I knew that I had lost enough situational awareness at that point and a loss of balance from the accident let me know that I was either done riding or done with 2 wheels. I chose to be done with 2 wheels but I do miss it. For those of you who can go back and forth good on ya.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I just made the decision at age 60 to put the 2012 Gold-wing up for sale, it only has 8900 Miles. I recently bought a 2014 Spyder and really enjoy the semi automatic tranny and the idea not worrying about holding up the bike when stopped. But I will say,.... I do miss riding the Gold-wing already but I rather sell it in pristine condition then selling it after I have layed it down, one thing that I have had to come to terms with, is my Gold-wing never had a mechanical issue in the 10 years. Just some yearly maintenance and some upgrades. However buying the Spyder, I have a few worries of breakdown issues but that didn't stop me from buying.

But owning a Gold-wing and having Breakdown issues are rare, and I do miss the confidence that I had riding my Honda. But I am new Spyder rider and only time will tell.
    14 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have been riding for over 50 years. I never left two wheels as the RT is just an addition to the stable. I did recently sell a Moto Guzzi and added a Suzuki Burgman 400.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I actually had all intentions on buying a 2018+ goldwing. But the salesmen were so rude and didn't want to even talk to me. 2 of my buddies purchased a 2020 and a left over 2019 K1600 and suggested I give BMW a try. I figured they were way too expensive. But I come to find out that they were cheaper than the Goldwing, by anywhere from $2k-$7k. I sat on the 1800 cruiser and the large jugs on the side were very uncomfortable. The in line 6 is silky smooth and the 160 hp is nothing to laugh at. I have been riding 17 years and been through 18 bikes (or spyders), and this is by far the most comfortable and best all around bike that I have ever owned. It handles better than anything but possibly my 600 cc sport bikes that I owned. But being 6'-2" and 260 pounds, this is so much more comfortable. In fact, it is the only bike that I have ever owned that I actually don't look too big for. Lol!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Great stories. At 73 I really can't handle the larger/heavier rides anymore. Maybe if I worked out to increase my strength that would help. Once in a while I just gotta ride 2 wheels. Like someone else stated. I miss the leaning and all that comes with riding 2 wheels.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I still have both......

Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Still have both. If and when the time comes - I may let the 2 wheeler go.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sure, I do it all the time I may be 81 years old but motorcycles are in my blood
    Yes I ride my spyder but when I want to ride in the mountain twisties I ride Hwy 49 on 2 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Can't go back because I never left. I still have both.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Like many here, I also have never stopped riding 2 wheels. I sold my 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 last year to buy my Spyder because the wife became scared of riding on the big bike. She was the one who suggested the Spyder.

However, I wasn't ready to leave the 2 wheel world just yet. I bought a low mileage Suzuki Boulevard M50 Special Edition. Perfect for practicing slow speed maneuvers, great for backroads and around town by myself.

PS: I'm in my mid 30s, but stuck in a 65 years old body.

20230712_152040.jpg
    Last edited by GFrog; 08-30-2023 at 04:28 PM.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE