Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default We talked about a new rear tire for me. I bought one. But is this typical of Kendas?

I bought the tire you all recommended.

But is this normal wear from a Kenda? Basically plenty of tread on the sides, but bald in the middle?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

NORMAL!!! whether its under / over inflated. the tire has weak ply in the tread and sidewalls. just balloons as you get the RPM up, and center wears. Car tires much better quality
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post

But is this normal wear from a Kenda? Basically plenty of tread on the sides, but bald in the middle?
    For all practical purposes, no one on this forum recommends the Kenda tire. Most swap out as soon as practical. Read up the recommendations from your fellow Can Am Spyder owners and riders here, very good and accurate experienced based information.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Typical performance if you use the "recommended" air pressure (28#) on the rear. I use 26# and have always got over 15K on a rear tire. I get 20K or more on the fronts. I am not a big "recommender," but have used them on all seven Spyders I have owned.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just to be clear " I NEVER recommended you or anyone else buy a KENDA " so I hope I'm not included in those " you all's " .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I believe this is the Kenda Kanine and not the regular, BRP supplied Kenda tire. I have not actually recommended this tire. But I have conveyed the good reports from some who have used the Kanine and really like it. I've been wanting to run one myself to see how they do. I like the tire tread design and the rubber compound. It's the cord/belt strength that is in question.

Some seem to be having better luck with this tire. But obviously, it is not universal.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Normal wear from a Kenda rear. I got about 8k out of each Kenda rear I have had and the center was to the wear bars. Fronts do a bit better. AND in stark contrast to the poor quality of Kenda MC tires, the car version, Kenda KR23A, have done well for me on the front so far.

ArTraveler is the exception to the rule. Maybe he putts around at 20MPH.... :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    Don't think he or the Mrs. putts around too much, but he does not seem to abuse his equipment and always keeps it up. That's going to make someone a great deal on the F3's he has for sale.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Normal wear from a Kenda rear. I got about 8k out of each Kenda rear I have had and the center was to the wear bars. Fronts do a bit better. AND in stark contrast to the poor quality of Kenda MC tires, the car version, Kenda KR23A, have done well for me on the front so far.

I have always told the truth about Kenda tires, I recommend Auto tires ..... But you are correct about the difference between Kenda Front and Rear tire wear. Here's the reason WHY .... the Kenda Spyder tires have a weakly made TREAD, the front tire sizes are much Narrower than the REAR. .... because of this the wider REAR tire will balloon at much slower speeds than the front, hence the center will wear faster .....JMHO ....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-29-2023 at 05:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

I knew my comment would ruffle a few feathers. I guess that I am an exception to what "normal" people get for mileage on the Kendas. I guess that makes me exceptional. I am an older guy, but don't putt around at 20 mph. However, when riding our beautiful Arkansas twisties, which are mostly deserted from heavy traffic, I DO like to putt along at 40 mph.

RE: the Spyders for sale. The 2019 got all new K9's last year. Less than 5K on them. Another good year or so before anyone will need tires. The 2020 is still running the OEM's. Only 8K miles there, and they will be good for the next year also.

UPDATE: Both of the F3L's have now been sold. Both owners were very happy with the "like new" tires they came with.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-17-2023 at 08:23 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I take it that what you're meaning is that this is a pic of the OLD original Kenda that you replaced with a better automotive replacement rear tire?
    yes my '13 RTL rear looked like this at 8,800 my replacement Altimax 43 didn't even show wear at 24,000 miles.
    What Recommended Tire did you get?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I take it that what you're meaning is that this is a pic of the OLD original Kenda that you replaced with a better automotive replacement rear tire?
    yes my '13 RTL rear looked like this at 8,800 my replacement Altimax 43 didn't even show wear at 24,000 miles.
    What Recommended Tire did you get?
    I bought and now have the altimax 45
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Hahaha……that statement is self contradicting, acdc. If you asked 30 riders which tyre they recommend, you would get 20 different answers……unlike a question asked of economists, where you would get 30 different answers

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ll gladly join ARTraveler and be another exception to the evident rule regarding the incredibly lousy performance of Kenda rear tires. I’m a mature guy, but I do NOT putt around. I’ve owned 5 Spyders. Collectively I’ve put nearly 200K miles on them, on roads of all kind. I’ve tried several different auto tires over the last 13 years. In MY experience, and like ARtravaler, all of the rear Kenda’s have gotten over 15K miles, with the exception of the one changed out last month. I can’t provide a reason for me and Kendas, but it sure saves a lot of money.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    I’ll gladly join ARTraveler and be another exception to the evident rule regarding the incredibly lousy performance of Kenda rear tires. I’m a mature guy, but I do NOT putt around. I’ve owned 5 Spyders. Collectively I’ve put nearly 200K miles on them, on roads of all kind. I’ve tried several different auto tires over the last 13 years. In MY experience, and like ARtravaler, all of the rear Kenda’s have gotten over 15K miles, with the exception of the one changed out last month. I can’t provide a reason for me and Kendas, but it sure saves a lot of money.
    Kenda tires " sure saves a lot of money " ...... well I had a Michelin rear tire and got 36,311 miles on that, I guess I saved money also .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Tire wear mileage is like guessing how many jelly beans in a jar. It varies greatly. If your ok with whatever tire you got and the miles that you get, then so be it. No wrong answer...

Spyder Garage

One thing never talked about much is which tires provide the softer ride. Some of us prefer a softer ride over long wear. I've tried several car tires, front and rear, diff Can Am's, and for me, there's no question but they ride stiffer.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    One thing never talked about much is which tires provide the softer ride. Some of us prefer a softer ride over long wear. I've tried several car tires, front and rear, diff Can Am's, and for me, there's no question but they ride stiffer.
    Try Michelin or Pirelli tires, they both make some good 'luxury car' tires in sizes that fit our Spyders, and if you run them at appropriate (lower) pressures for the (lighter) load of a Spyder vs a car, they can give you a pretty plush ride AND reasonably good handling.

And just as an added bonus, you might also be pleasantly surprised by their longevity too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I have talked about the " COMFORT " factor when choosing an appropriate PSI for your tires ( auto tires only ) numerous times. .... I really like the Vredestein tires ( past & present models ) .... they have a lower than most MAX tire weight rating, which means the Sidewalls are more flexible, so at the lower PSI's Peter & I recommend you should experience a more comfortable ride ......Mike

Spyder Garage

10,000 miles on oem tires and look like new. I check psi maybe 2x a year. fronts 20, rear about 25.

Spyder Garage

I had managed a bit over 20,000 KM out of my rear Kenda tyre just over 12,000 miles for memory, but I don't think it was that much different to my Honda ST1300.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    ICSI Ride Hand Brake Kit as my right leg and foot does not work that well due to MS
    The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    SHAD 58X in Carbon finish - Expandable TOP Case
    Pedal Box
    IPS Belt Tensioner and Handlebar Riser from Lamonster
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    Floating Rotors with EBC Brakes for the front
    I am now broke

I Should mention the Boss has a 900 Ryker Ralli next to my bike
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
    I had managed a bit over 20,000 KM out of my rear Kenda tyre just over 12,000 miles for memory, but I don't think it was that much different to my Honda ST1300.
    About average for the newest model Kenda ..... however your comparison is IMHO apples to oranges. Over the past 12 years of using Auto tires I haven't gotten less than 30,000 + miles ( for a rear tire ) from any of them. Besides the Auto tires longevity, they are a much safer tire, they are built stronger..... JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    About average for the newest model Kenda ..... however your comparison is IMHO apples to oranges. Over the past 12 years of using Auto tires I haven't gotten less than 30,000 + miles ( for a rear tire ) from any of them. Besides the Auto tires longevity, they are a much safer tire, they are built stronger..... JMHO ....Mike
    I love my rear car tire. The ride is slightly stiffer, but I really like how the bike rolls. New car tires on the front when my crappy Kendas die...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-23-2023 at 08:57 PM. Reason: stiffrer; ' 's; cat; ;-)
    2018 F3 Limited